how come iem is worn this way?
Mar 15, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 9
I wear mine looped around my ears so that I can have the cord running down my back. It helps lessen the microphonics from the cord that you would get if you had them running down the front of your shirt, for instance.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Like stated above, microphonics are prevented.
And worn above the ear prevents it from being pulled off when the wires is tugged somehow. I hate that and that's how I lost many IEM's.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 9
ear monitors were originally designed for gigging musicians. So they have max isolation and can monitor specific sounds more precisely.

The cables snake over the ears and around the back of the neck/head so the cords are out of the way when playing instruments.

wireless transmitters are typically clipped to their backs on a belt.
Garrett

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #5 of 9
thx for the history kramer5150. so mostly it hasn't to do with sound, mainly just for your own convenience.

but when i was looking at one of the iem thread showing pics of people wearing iem, someone said that the person is wearing the iem the "wrong" way. is there a "wrong" way to wear iem?

Mar 16, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 9
Etymotic IEMs, at the least, are not "meant" to be worn that way. Most people wear them with the wire hanging straight down, though looping around your ears is an option.

Mar 16, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 9
It also depends on the manufacturer.

Shure's IEM's are designed to be worn this way.

rj3a8i.jpg

rj3adz.jpg

Supposedly, it keeps it out of one's way, keeps it in place in one's ear, and prevents microphonics.

I think the E4c can be worn the "normal" way. I think I read that somewhere here on Head-Fi--not sure.

I believe some Ultimate Ears IEMs can be worn both ways too--again not sure.

The E5c also has a "memory wire" around the ear. Everyone has a different opinion on this feature/nuisance. I like it.

Edit: you can wear it with wires hanging to the front too. I do this at home. When I'm out and about, it hangs to the back.

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:18 AM Post #8 of 9
so most iems can be worn just regularly or looped round the top of the ears.

for the shures that are designed to be worn looped, how can you tell that they need to be worn in that fashion? are the headphone shaped differently?

Mar 16, 2006 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj
so most iems can be worn just regularly or looped round the top of the ears.

for the shures that are designed to be worn looped, how can you tell that they need to be worn in that fashion? are the headphone shaped differently?

Yeah most Shure's are meant to be looped around the ear. If you look at them, the wire exits from the top of the IEM which makes it want to naturally loop around the ear easier. Etys on the otherhand have the wire coming straight out or downward. I suppose you could reverse the L and R monitors of the shures(at least for the E3 and E4) so that the wire is pointing downward and wear them like the etys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back