How CDs got their actual size
Jun 1, 2005 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

nickchen

Headphoneus Supremus
Read something interesting about the development of CDs I did not know until now. We all know that actual specifications are 78min / 120mm, whereas the "original version" presented 1979 had only 115mm / 74min.
The story goes that Herbert von Karajan insisted on extension, for his version of Beethoven's 9th Symphony did not fit onto the original medium. That was supported and enforced by Sony president Norio Ogha, who was a former opera singer and fan of Karajan.
[end of story]

Jun 1, 2005 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 9
True story........HVK suggested CD size should hold "average" Beethoven 9th on one CD when Phillips consulted him.

In retrospect a capacity of 85 minutes would be even better since many classical works are just slightly over 80 minutes total requiring 2 CDs now.

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #3 of 9
Interesting that this got so few replies - i find this kind of stuff fascinating. Great find
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2005 at 10:49 AM Post #4 of 9
Nothing to be replied IMO...

Jun 2, 2005 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrhawk
Interesting that this got so few replies - i find this kind of stuff fascinating. Great find
biggrin.gif

Here's a site which has tones of anecdotes. They are pretty critical too, as to if they're true or not.

Jun 2, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #6 of 9
It's interesting that someone actually consulted with a musician about the capacity of the cd! The Auryn Quartett has had their recording of the Beethoven string quartets released on a 312 minute capacity dvd-a by TACET which is probably the wave of the future. TACET DVD-A's are according to them also playable on conventional dvd players in 5.1 channel surround sound.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TACET
Playing time world record: The latest TACET DVD-Audio offers a total playing time of 312 minutes! More than 5 hours top quality 5.1 Surround Sound. DVD technique makes it possible. Having released all Beethoven string quartets on CD (TACET 124, 125, 126, 130) TACET now starts with Volume 1 in Surround Sound, again played by the Auryn Quartett. All the six quartets of op. 18 twice: once in TACET Real Surround Sound (156 minutes) and once again in Moving Real Surround Sound. But it is not only the playing time that makes this record unusual...

Jun 2, 2005 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
(...) TACET is probably the wave of the future.

I personally disagree, a 312 min DVD audio is too complicated to handle (for average hifi users) ...due to its size. 80 or 85min like Dark Angel suggested should be really sufficient for one silver plate.

More would be the same effect like my 96 kbit MP3 "all-Beatles-albums-on-one-CD". If the amount of titles gets too high, you'll get lost on a standalone DVD player. Nobody wants his television to be in permanent operation modus only to enable navigation on actual monster music data carrier. Really long playing time without being lost is realistic for PC use only (IMO), guess Ipod users have different experiences.

Jun 2, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
It's interesting that someone actually consulted with a musician about the capacity of the cd!"...

R*A apparently asked a dog what their recording quality was like
eek.gif
wink.gif
Ahhee - that's unfair! I actually like(d) their recordings - in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back