How can I make my headphones fit more snugly? (Sennheiser HD438)
Aug 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

someguy_99

New Head-Fier
So I bought a pair of Sennheiser HD438s a few months ago. For the most part I'm quite happy with them, and despite the general disapproval of their appearance, I don't mind it at all. The biggest issue I'm having with them is the fit.

My head is quite narrow. The headphones sit comfortably enough with the adjustable band at about middle length. Unfortunately, I can't get them to clasp snugly enough around my ears at any adjustment. The majority of the sound isn't affected by this, except for the bass. If I apply a small amount of pressure to the cans, the seal around my ears is improved and the clarity of the bass (and to a degree the other sound ranges) is greatly increased. In fact, since I discovered this, I might say that I'm dissatisfied with the sound unless I complete this seal.

Now obviously I can't sit with my hands on my ears the entire time I'm wearing these headphones. I've taken them apart and looked for metal to bend, but the construction is for the most part plastic. I'm looking for a solution that will make them fit better for me, whether it be a modification to the headphones themselves or something external that I can use. The amount of extra clasping pressure needed to complete the seal is really not much at all. I use these headphones nearly exclusively at home so portability (or not looking like an idiot) isn't really a factor. I'm hoping someone has some ideas.

Thanks

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 12
Buy different cans, add more padding around pads.

Most cans that have a metal band you can adjust the pressure. Senn can't.

Other then that, you can add more padding

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:

Most cans that have a metal band you can adjust the pressure. Senn can't.

I'll keep this in mind if I get a new set, but right now I'm trying to keep my expenses down. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Other then that, you can add more padding

Bulking up the earpads occurred to me, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. Any ideas on materials/methods? It seems like it would be tricky to do without affecting sound quality negatively. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 12
Im not sure if there's a mod to improve that. I think the only way is to add more padding. 

You can use the same material from the foam mod of this thread. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:

I'll keep this in mind if I get a new set, but right now I'm trying to keep my expenses down. 

Bulking up the earpads occurred to me, but I wasn't sure how to go about it. Any ideas on materials/methods? It seems like it would be tricky to do without affecting sound quality negatively. 

Heya,

If anything, the increased earpad would increase isolation which may improve sound on the HD4xx's. My problem with the line, since I had them, is that they were so loose and flimsy that they wouldn't stay on, so they felt bad and uncomfortable, but sounded ok if you held them in place. Big pads might help you a ton. You could custom make some. Get some foam and get some material that feels ok on your skin. Sew it, or find someone who knows how to sew, and make some fraken-heisers.

Very best,

Aug 10, 2011 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Im not sure if there's a mod to improve that. I think the only way is to add more padding. 

You can use the same material from the foam mod of this thread. 

Well I looked around and jammed some kleenex in where they put the foam for that mod. I think it may have actually helped a little. I am noticing quite a bit of dust from the kleenex though, so I might try another material. Don't want all that dust getting in the driver (or I guess my ears for that matter). I'm still noticing some increase in clarity when I press on the cans though, so it's not a complete solution unfortunately. 

Quote:
Heya,

If anything, the increased earpad would increase isolation which may improve sound on the HD4xx's. My problem with the line, since I had them, is that they were so loose and flimsy that they wouldn't stay on, so they felt bad and uncomfortable, but sounded ok if you held them in place. Big pads might help you a ton. You could custom make some. Get some foam and get some material that feels ok on your skin. Sew it, or find someone who knows how to sew, and make some fraken-heisers.

Very best,

I might see if I can cut some foam in a way that will allow it to just slip over the existing pads. Just not sure I have the craftsmanship necessary. Any idea on where I might find some suitable foam? I'm wondering if a craft store might carry it.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Well I looked around and jammed some kleenex in where they put the foam for that mod. I think it may have actually helped a little. I am noticing quite a bit of dust from the kleenex though, so I might try another material. Don't want all that dust getting in the driver (or I guess my ears for that matter). I'm still noticing some increase in clarity when I press on the cans though, so it's not a complete solution unfortunately. 

Yeah, thats why i recommended using the same material as the one used on that thread. Try with something different, and keep us posted. :)

BTW, here's an interesting thread for 4x8 headphones. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #9 of 12
I have the HD438. I found that clamping the two sides together manually makes the sound full-er.
I recently had no choice but to toss them in my sling bag. When I took them out later that night they
were slightly narrower but still quite loose.

They're comfortable for home listening but not so much for portable use.

Mar 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 12
I actually just thought of this... try taking a band or belt of some type and tightening it around the headphones and let that apply pressure for you. I have the HD280 Pros and I have the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back