How can I improve my system?
Jul 20, 2002 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Kieran Comito

500+ Head-Fier
I have the cd player, amp and headphones that I wanted. Is there any tweaks or anything else I can do to improve my system? Here is how it is set up. Carry cd player>>Outlaw Cables>>Sugden Headmaster amp>>Clou Blue cable>>HD 600s. I feel kind of empty after enjoying months of researching, and saving money for this setup. The quest was to much fun to stop now. Any suggetstens? Cables? Thanks.

Jul 20, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #2 of 23
There's got to be something else that can part you from your money. How about changing out that Clou Blue for a Clou Red, or an Equinox or Cardas cable? Headphone and interconnect cable swaps alone can keep you busy for a while.

Jul 20, 2002 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 23
I agree--the Cardas cable over the Clou would be an upgrade I would make.

I'd also start looking at your software.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure what kind of music you're into but in addition to there being more music than any one person could ever explore, some labels definitely do a better job than others -- and this is noticable on the cheapest cd players all the way up to your Cary.

Some day I plan to upgrade to a more comfortable chair, too. If I ever get settled on one set of hardware.

Jul 20, 2002 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 23
Well.......you could start acquiring some other high end 'phones. The Headmaster is a great match for just about anything out there. You may enjoy having many sonic options at your disposal. I know I do. This way, the quest never ends, it just takes you on different paths. Just a thought.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2002 at 1:56 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Kieran Comito
Carry cd player>>Outlaw Cables>>Sugden Headmaster amp>>Clou Blue cable>>HD 600s.

I would suggest that there is a good possibility that your IC is a weak link. It might be a good time to look into some higher quality cables, and this might be a good place to start since they can be had at 25% off till the end of the month:

http://www.zucable.com/cable/varial.html

Jul 21, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 23
KC, your system looks good, I have a similar system planned out. My only suggestion is to get the Equinox replacement cable for the HD600, and look into better interconnects. I'm pretty delusional about which interconnects and power cords to get as well, but I do have stuff in mind that I am really looking forward to. Just pm me for details if you are interested.

The Sugden is well regarded by a couple peoples opinions I respect and trust very much, and from what they say, I bet that I would really like it. However, I am going my own route and having a really nice ETA42 built.
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm sure you can't go wrong with the Headmaster. Why people are suggesting different headphones is beyond me.
wink.gif

Jul 22, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #12 of 23
If you were really crazy...you could sell your CARY (it has great resale value, trust me) and get one of the belt driven CEC transports, and an outboard DAC. Of course, it might be smart to wait for CEC to come out with a belt driven SACD transport. As for DACs, I'd recommend the Art DI/O or anything by MSB. Of course, if you're happy with the CARY, which is a sweeeeet cdp, no need for change. I've just always liked the idea of being able to upgrade my DAC as CD technology improves.

Jul 22, 2002 at 6:48 AM Post #13 of 23
Tim
?? I've not once heard anyone say that he or she preferred the ART DI/O to the Cary. I think the point was to "upgrade."

Jul 23, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by yage
i have three words for you:

linn sondek cd12

Isn't that like 20k?!

Better get some R-10s to match.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back