How can I get more bass from my headphones?
Aug 20, 2011 at 2:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wcstick

New Head-Fier
I have the AKG K301XTRA and they are quite neutral, almost too neutral. I'm kind of a bass-head and would really like to get some bass out of these headphones. I'm quite a noob to audiophilia so I don't know what to do to accomplish this.

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 19
The simplest and most cost-effective way would be to just use an equalizer- whether it's the one on your iPod(?), computer software, or stereo.

A bit of advice for the next time you buy headphones (your next set?):  Look for one that matches your sound signature or preference.  If you take a headphone that was not designed from the start to deliver a large amount of bass (or any other frequency you might particularly like), using an equalizer is like putting a band aid on the problem.  It will introduce distortion, be difficult to adjust without screwing up nearby frequencies, and push your amp and headphones to do things they were not designed to do. 

YACA (Yet Another Car Analogy):  If you want to go fast around corners, you should start with a sports car and not an SUV.  No matter what modifications you do to the SUV (put wide sticky low-profile tires on, lower it, stiffer shocks, etc.), you will never get it to handle like a sports car.  Start with the sports car, and then modify from there.  Hope this helps! 
smile.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the insight. I have tried equalizing but as you said it distorts the other frequencies. I'm quite a cheap person and these headphones were actually my dad's but I'm using them because he doesn't. Is there anything else I can try to achieve my desired result?

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 19

Quote:
I have the AKG K301XTRA and they are quite neutral, almost too neutral. I'm kind of a bass-head and would really like to get some bass out of these headphones. I'm quite a noob to audiophilia so I don't know what to do to accomplish this.

Heya,

You can equalize them, mod them to make them more isolated (more isolation will increase bass perception), or you can simply get new headphones that are colored towards bass. The Ultrasone HFI 580's are calling you.

Very best,

Aug 20, 2011 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 19
If you are equalizing and there is distortion, you are either:

a) incorrectly adjusting the equalizer which results in too much gain
b) equalizer is craptastic
c) the headphones' drivers can not handle more bass
d) all of the above

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #6 of 19
If you are using one of those volume equalizers like the one found on iTunes, then try turning down the Pre-amp slider tol help reduce distortion. Note that this means you'll have to turn up your computer's volume a bit more. Usually for me, if I turn up the bass frequencies by +6db, then I'll move down the Preamp by -6db to match.

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 19
Get yourself a Digizoid Zo. From my limited time with it I heard a massive increase in bass (one of the higher setting was rattling the earcups on my Beyers) but didn't negatively affect the sound quality. With a coupon can be had for less than $100 shipped from Sharper Image.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #9 of 19
I just want to clarify to the people reading/replying to this thread that I'm not a complete basshead. I listen to electronica but I'm not all about bass. I just like a little kick. Also, I tried out my friend's Sennheiser HD202s and they have a signature (correct terminology?) that suits me well. I would just prefer if they covered my entire ears like my AKGs instead of lying on top of them.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
I just want to clarify to the people reading/replying to this thread that I'm not a complete basshead. I listen to electronica but I'm not all about bass. I just like a little kick. Also, I tried out my friend's Sennheiser HD202s and they have a signature (correct terminology?) that suits me well. I would just prefer if they covered my entire ears like my AKGs instead of lying on top of them.

This is a frequency response graph, basically it shows if a headphone is bassy, neutral, mids focused or treble heavy. A FR graph doesn't measure a lot of things but when it comes to signatures it does give you a general idea. The HD202 looks very bassy from the graph, not as bassy as the Sony XB500 but still bassy. If you plan to buy another pair of cans, the HFi 580 suggested by MalVeauX seems like a good headphone for you, more treble compared to the HD202 though. but it should blow the HD202 out of the water. (considering that they cost about 3X more at around $100)

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 19
Equaliser or JDS cMoyBB are my recommendations. JDS cMoy's bass boost option should give you tonnes of bass presence. It's not the most refined mind, but there's certainly a lot there if you like your bass. Good thing is, if you fancy less bass you can aways just switch bass boost off at any time.

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #12 of 19
Another vote for DigiZoid ZO that has 31 different levels of bass boost and is otherwise excellent for the price when bass is put aside too. It'll be a worthy investment that you can use with future headphones too.

Jan 25, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #15 of 19
If its bass you want, raise the db level on the lower numbers like 10hz 20hz up to about 80hz. Other than that leave other settings alone.

An even simpler explanation; play with the bars on the left

Users who are viewing this thread

Back