How can i cut holes in my enclosure??
Mar 19, 2005 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ipodlova

Head-Fier
there was a post like this but i cant find it sooooo how can i cut holes in my hammond box, #1455C802 (the smallest one with plastic ends). I dont have access to a drill (strong enuf to cut through this) or n e other powered stuff. wat could i use?

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 20
do you have a dremmel type tool?
maybee that falls under high power tool.

even a very weak drill will go through that plastic material. my rechargable drill on the end of the battery made lovely holes of my panels.

Mar 19, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 20
i shouldve rephrased that, i dont have access to ALOT of tools. I do have a battery opearated drill (its an orange black and decker one thats has three adjustable positions for the hand). the problem wit that is my bits are octaganal... would a hand puncher work??

Mar 19, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 20
Buy a $2 HSS drill bit from any hardware store. I used my hand powered drill to go through a sheet of steel the other day.

A puncher would likely crack the plastic.

Mar 19, 2005 at 5:29 AM Post #5 of 20
If your drilling through metal my best advice would be to drill from the side of the metal which will be on the outside, when the bit comes through the metal there will likely be some peices hanging off, and you would probbly have to sand it to get it smooth. Not good unless you painting over
wink.gif
Its also a good idea to use a small punch to put a dent in the metal where your going to drill to keep the bit from wandering.

Mar 19, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 20
ipodlova, you mentioned in the first post your case has plastic end panels. Are you looking to drill through these or the actual metal case? Most people just put homes in the end panels. Those are extremely easy to drill with any drill and drill bit.

Mar 19, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 20
The puncher would most likely make a few small cracks in the plastic, so i wouldnt recommend it. If you dont plan on making too many holes, you can purchase the cheapest set of drill bits you can find, even dollar stores carry some for $1 or so, i wouldnt recommend them for metal, but they might work perfect for plastic.

-ivan c.

Mar 19, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodlova
i shouldve rephrased that, i dont have access to ALOT of tools. I do have a battery opearated drill (its an orange black and decker one thats has three adjustable positions for the hand). the problem wit that is my bits are octaganal... would a hand puncher work??

I've never seen any octagonal drill bits, what are you talking about?

Mar 19, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 20
The ABS plastic ends on a Hammond case are pretty soft. If access to tools is more of a problem than neatness, you can carefully carve out the holes with a leatherman or pocket knife.

Mar 19, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamrider
I've never seen any octagonal drill bits, what are you talking about?

I figured they were hex bits.

BTW, this is a drill and not just a cordless screwdriver, right?

Mar 19, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #13 of 20
I agree with the post above, sounds like you have a cordless screwdriver

have alook at this at Maplin, part no:RD80B @ £2.99 should convert it into a drill for smaller holes, but you will still need something bigger to drill 6mm-8mm holes for the pot & jacks.

The best way is to start with a small hole and go up in stages.
3904i0.jpg

Mar 19, 2005 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back