How can I calculate my listening level on some cases?
Jan 16, 2017 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Mustainized

100+ Head-Fier
As far as I know, dB calculation goes like this:

dB/mW = dB/mW (headphone) + 10*[log(E^2/R)]

E=Output power of the source as Vrms; (Vp-p/2)*(0.707)
R=impedance of the headphone 

In this case, for my X3-II + K612, I can easily calculate my dB range when it comes to high gain and full (120) volume because we know Vrms from the given Vp-p officially. But, how can I calculate if I set the volume to, let's say, 110? Is there a known method for that?

Jan 16, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #2 of 14
If you want to know your listening level at any given time, just use an SPL meter.

And if you want to do some more calculations, here's a good resource:
http://apexhifi.com/specs.html

Jan 16, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 14
Calculations are fine but I doubt they will transfer to real world as all these specs are done in a laboratory type of setting. I usually turn the volume up to what I think is good and go with that. I have a calibrated mic for my iPhone if I really wanted to know what SPL I was listening to but still doesn't really tell me as I don't have a setup that is the shape of my head ands ears to know for sure. As some amps change with the amount of gain and or voltage I don't think it's linear enough to make the calculation you want but I don't know and for that matter don't care enough to find out. If it is to just nerd out on it cool but I'm not sure there is s sure way to tell.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 14
What is it your wanting?

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #7 of 14
The volume scale on the player is probably not linear or in decibels, so there is no way of knowing what 110 actually means unless you can get specific information or measurements on it.

There are other variables that you haven't accounted for in the equations you listed, such as the RMS level of the audio you're playing. Your equations are only applicable for a sine wave at 0dBFS. The music you listen to will have an RMS level at least a few to several tens of dB below that.

Be careful with your equations and units.
Originally Posted by Mustainized /img/forum/go_quote.gif

dB/mW = dB/mW (headphone) + 10*[log(E^2/R)]

E=Output power of the source as Vrms; (Vp-p/2)*(0.707)
R=impedance of the headphone

Vrms is not a measure of power, you should not call it that.
The units inside your log are in watts so you will get dB referenced to 1W RMS, where as your headphone sensitivity is referenced to 1mW RMS. You can't add them unless they have the same reference.

It will be easier to just download an app and measure it.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #8 of 14

Be careful with your equations and units.
Vrms is not a measure of power, you should not call it that.
The units inside your log are in watts so you will get dB referenced to 1W RMS, where as your headphone sensitivity is referenced to 1mW RMS. You can't add them unless they have the same reference.

I just forgot to say that, Actually I'm doing my calculations like that. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 14
  There are other variables that you haven't accounted for in the equations you listed, such as the RMS level of the audio you're playing. Your equations are only applicable for a sine wave at 0dBFS. The music you listen to will have an RMS level at least a few to several tens of dB below that.

It's certainly about RMS level of the audio. You're right. For example, some of my FLAC albums are quiet as hell. I have to crank the volume to full and when I skip to next song, volume level is something like 3 billion dB.

Jan 17, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 14
Calculations are fine but I doubt they will transfer to real world as all these specs are done in a laboratory type of setting. I usually turn the volume up to what I think is good and go with that. I have a calibrated mic for my iPhone if I really wanted to know what SPL I was listening to but still doesn't really tell me as I don't have a setup that is the shape of my head ands ears to know for sure. As some amps change with the amount of gain and or voltage I don't think it's linear enough to make the calculation you want but I don't know and for that matter don't care enough to find out. If it is to just nerd out on it cool but I'm not sure there is s sure way to tell.

Calculations are absolutely nonsense compared to experience but they generally give an idea about the process. I just want to know if I'm on that ''danger zone'' of dB levels. Actually I'm listening to my music loudly for years, didn't have any single percentage of hearing loss though. Consider that I'm just 21, that might be a reason.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #13 of 14
Calculations are absolutely nonsense compared to experience but they generally give an idea about the process. I just want to know if I'm on that ''danger zone'' of dB levels. Actually I'm listening to my music loudly for years, didn't have any single percentage of hearing loss though. Consider that I'm just 21, that might be a reason.
Wait till your 50 and see if that holds up listening to loud music ; )

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #14 of 14
calculi are perfectly fine if you have reliable specs and if you consider all the variables. MindsMirror gives a good example of what people might forget, how music isn't necessarily stuck to 0db digital level.
then the max voltage value for a device might change a little depending on the load(headphone). but as you need to cut the voltage in half just to lose 6db, it's something we often can neglect if the question is only a sanity check to know if we're closer to 100db or to 60.

a sonometer, if you can somehow stay at a distance where your ear would be, and as much as possible seal the pad area around the sonometer, then it's most likely the best, most reliable choice.
apps for phones can't really hope to come with the proper calibration for the specific phone, so some variations are to be expected.
a multimeter and known sensitivity of the headphone can also give very good accuracy(checking the voltage to reach 90db on innerfidelity for a given headphone can be a nice start for estimation instead of manufacturer's specs).

about OP question, there is a very simple solution to your problem:
just get some jack to jack cable, stick your DAP into the input of a computer or phone or whatev. get any free RTA software(but really anything with a loudness meter expressed in any way will do) and just look at the loudness in volt or db it's giving you. the number itself isn't reliable at all without proper calibration, but going from the DAP maxed out to your preferred loudness with a test tone will give you a reliable variation. and that, you can use to estimate the loudness into the phone compared to the calculus you made with the sensitivity and maxed out voltage of the DAP.
is that clear to you? I tend not to be. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back