How buildable is the KGSS?
May 18, 2004 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

myself, aka me

1000+ Head-Fier
I've built a few audio type things. META42 board, PIMETA schematic amp, and a couple of Cmoys. But I kind of want to get into electrostatic, partially 'cause having.. 580V across my ears sounds fun.

High voltage aside, how difficult is it to build?

Also, i'm in New Zealand, so i'll need a 240V transformer which I can't seem to find. Blah.

May 18, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 7
Well I'm building a KGSS and it is hard but not that hard. But I´m a noob and doing a lot of things wrong like how to ground the damn thing. I've fried two psu's and sent two amp boards up in flames and don´t know what caused it but that's just me.
rolleyes.gif
You'll just have to be careful and know what you are doing.

You can get a 235v transformer from Victoria magnetics. They take Paypal so there are no payment issues.

May 18, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 7
There are a couple of people out there with no experience who did not
know that they could not build it, so they tried and did.

There are a couple of people out there that should have had absolutely
no trouble building it, and they ended up with a lot of trouble.

Ignorance is bliss.

May 19, 2004 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 7
I think that the key to this project as most others is to take your'e time doing it and if you build it on pcb's it is much easier. If you do not make some bad mistakes like me that make your'e amp boards to go up in flames (I...erm... ehhh.... put some resistors in the ...ermmm... wrong places
rolleyes.gif
) it should be clear sailing.

Just jump into the deep end. All this high voltage makes it warm and cosy!
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2004 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 7
I have thought about throwing my hat in the ring, and attempting a KGSS. I was quite good at electronics back in college, and took about 4 courses on it. Mind you, I've forgotten 95% of what I learned. Are there silk-screened PCB's available for the KGSS + PSU?

Cheers!

Trevor

May 19, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin gilmore
There are a couple of people out there with no experience who did not
know that they could not build it, so they tried and did.

There are a couple of people out there that should have had absolutely
no trouble building it, and they ended up with a lot of trouble.

Ignorance is bliss.

Sounds like the bumble bee physics problem.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

May 19, 2004 at 1:06 AM Post #7 of 7
There are pcb's available with silk screen for both the amp and the psu. There is a link to the files for them in this thread and then there is this thread warning of some errors in the layout. I ordered my pcb's using this layout and teucer must have fixed the files because my boards have no errors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back