How bright is the Sony v6/7506?
Nov 27, 2006 at 6:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

LuckyKarma

500+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about putting my HD555s up for trade for a new all-around can, and I've been hearing completely different sides on the v6/7506. On tranceaddict, there is a huge thread of people praising the v6/7506, while here there are people who like them, and people who say they are junk. How bright are these things? Are there any major chains that sell these so I could audition them before going for it?

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyKarma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about putting my HD555s up for trade for a new all-around can, and I've been hearing completely different sides on the v6/7506. On tranceaddict, there is a huge thread of people praising the v6/7506, while here there are people who like them, and people who say they are junk. How bright are these things? Are there any major chains that sell these so I could audition them before going for it?

The big guitar stores around usually have them in stock, since they sell so many. Mine are great.

Nov 27, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

I found them so piercing that I had to get rid of them. I even tried blocking the drivers with foam, felt material, etc. It is a shame because other than the highs, I liked everything about them (bass, mids, comfort, build, efficiency). However, luckily I found DT770/80 to be perfect for me.

You can try them at Guitar Center.

Nov 27, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found them so piercing that I had to get rid of them. I even tried blocking the drivers with foam, felt material, etc. It is a shame because other than the highs, I liked everything about them (bass, mids, comfort, build, efficiency). However, luckily I found DT770/80 to be perfect for me.

You can try them at Guitar Center.

BaBaBaBaBasshead!
basshead.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

They're a little hot, but not unpleasantly so. If you have any mass-market stereo, odds are the highs on your speakers are a little hot, too. Listen to them at an appropriate volume and you'll find some CDs or MP3s to sound great, and some to sound not so great. The treble hotness is as much a function of the music played (especially low-bitrate MP3s) as it is the inherent design of the headphones. I've got a frequency response graph of these somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and post it for you.

Look, they're not reference-quality. They are fun, sound good, and have excellent bass (both definition and depth). For $60 of $70, it's a great headphone. They're also built like a tank: I've had my pair for 15 years, and they've held up really well.

-Erik

Nov 27, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #6 of 17
IMHO they are on the bright side.... even brighter than my RS1. But thats not their biggest fault. I owned them for several years before coming to head-fi, their biggest flaw as a music listening can, is their deep recession from ~350-800. IMHO it tends to make male vocals and guitar tones bright, and lacking resonance/warmth.

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #7 of 17
I just got my V6s in the door about 45 minutes ago.

So far, I wish they had more bass. But they are probably as good on bass as a headphone gets (withholding $300 headphones + amp).
I like it really heavy on the <125hz range.

I'm jamming out right now, to my so not-kosher EQ settings.
eq.JPG

But damn..

like mcdonalds I'm lovin it!
basshead.gif

I'm curious as to if the Koss Pro3AAs can defeat this set on bass.

I think these are pretty well balanced headphones if left alone. But I'm not an audiophile, nor am I looking for balance (I'm a rock n roll smiley face kinda guy).

When you pull the high end down as far as I have, there is no harshness.
tongue.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #8 of 17
How harsh are the highs when you're not using the EQ? I like the bass on my K81DJs, but if I get the 7506 and trance/chillout/ambient stuff sounds better on it, these may replace both the HD555s and the K81DJs
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #9 of 17
First I'd like to say I'm not audiophile. I like my bass pounding, and my highs screaming typically. Though I'm toning down the highs alot more than I'd like, to save the hearing.

I cant speak for the 555s, but I had the 497s so I'll use that as a comparison point.
Without the EQ, its to piercing for me. But the bass is still excellent compared to others Ive heard.
IMO, they are light years beyond the 497s. I prefer my KSC35s over those.

I'm listening to Robert Miles Children right now, and its OK without the EQ. But putting on KMFDM Juke Joint Jezebel and I cant stand it without the EQ. Just to piercing.

If I couldnt EQ these out, its bad enough I wouldnt be able to stand them on certain songs.

The only true conclusion I can come to is that the more headphones I hear, the more I appreciate my KSC35s. The tone, the smoothness and the sound of those are just near perfect for me.
I dont think I can deny it anymore, I'm going to have to pickup a set of Pro3AAs from Radioshack to test out.

If you are a gamer, I have the Sennheiser PC150 headset for gaming to, and although they are admittedly very cheap.. they are such a pile.
I'm prob going to Ebay them and pick up these http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

I wouldnt doubt if I end up with all Koss product in my stable eventually.
Pro3AA for home, Koss headset, KSC35 for portable.
Depends how the Pro3AA compare to the V6s in the low end.

The only other way I can see myself going is to Beyerdynamic DT770s and I'm not hardcore enough to buy an amplifier (yet).

As far as comfort on the V6s, I've had them on for 2+ hours and they are fine. Some people are really picky. They arent hot to me

Nov 27, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik_C /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're a little hot, but not unpleasantly so. If you have any mass-market stereo, odds are the highs on your speakers are a little hot, too. Listen to them at an appropriate volume and you'll find some CDs or MP3s to sound great, and some to sound not so great. The treble hotness is as much a function of the music played (especially low-bitrate MP3s) as it is the inherent design of the headphones. I've got a frequency response graph of these somewhere. I'll see if I can find it and post it for you.

Look, they're not reference-quality. They are fun, sound good, and have excellent bass (both definition and depth). For $60 of $70, it's a great headphone. They're also built like a tank: I've had my pair for 15 years, and they've held up really well.

-Erik

Actually, if you consider their wide spread use in studios.. if anything deserves to be called "reference-quality", these are it.

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

How harsh are the highs when you're not using the EQ? I like the bass on my K81DJs, but if I get the 7506 and trance/chillout/ambient stuff sounds better on it, these may replace both the HD555s and the K81DJs
biggrin.gif

I haven't heard the 555s, but I have the 595s. I've also heard the V6s....for Sonys in the $100 price range, they are very good. They're very well balanced....not bright or bassy (they have more detail in the upper mids, so they're really good for clarinet or guitar). For trance, I'd say either try getting 595s (hear they're much better then 555s in their tonality), or go Grado. Actually, for SR60s, trance/ techno was the only genre I liked them for!!!! Really not piercing kind of treble to my ears, but more treble heavy and rolled off bass that makes them pretty fast sounding. That's why I think the 595s are fairly well balanced....they sound good with trance, but also have a bass response for any ambient music (which Grados are really bad for IMHO). It's worth the upgrade if you want to go that route (they'll especially sound great on a dedicated DAC)

Nov 28, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 17
I just returned the 7506's because they were way too bright to listen to for more than 30 or so minutes. The highs were so piercing that they gave me a headache. I tried using the EQ to correct the highs, and it didn't help at all.

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:01 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the 555s, but I have the 595s. I've also heard the V6s....for Sonys in the $100 price range, they are very good. They're very well balanced....not bright or bassy (they have more detail in the upper mids, so they're really good for clarinet or guitar). For trance, I'd say either try getting 595s (hear they're much better then 555s in their tonality), or go Grado. Actually, for SR60s, trance/ techno was the only genre I liked them for!!!! Really not piercing kind of treble to my ears, but more treble heavy and rolled off bass that makes them pretty fast sounding. That's why I think the 595s are fairly well balanced....they sound good with trance, but also have a bass response for any ambient music (which Grados are really bad for IMHO). It's worth the upgrade if you want to go that route (they'll especially sound great on a dedicated DAC)

I used to have Grado SR225s and an Entech 203.2 DAC, I wasn't very impressed with trance music on them. They were my rock cans, that's about all they were used for :p I'm very happy with the sound of the AKG K81DJs for trance, but I can't listen to them for more than 45 minutes or so without having to take them off for a while.

I'm not really looking for the best trance cans, I'm wanting to simplify my headphone collection. Right now, I don't use my HD555s except for when I want comfort. I've heard the v6/7506 are great all-around cans, for just about any kind of music. Paul van Dyk even uses 7506s for his shows, so I can't see them being too bad for trance :) If I'm really impressed I'll just buy a pair of 7506s or v6s, put some beyer velour pads on them, and sell my HD555 and K81DJ.

BTW thanks to swt61 for his very generous offer of lending me a pair of Sony MDR-V6s! I love this place :)

Nov 28, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

BTW thanks to swt61 for his very generous offer of lending me a pair of Sony MDR-V6s! I love this place :)

No brainer to audition the V6s if you can!!!!! They are good cans.....but you might not find them "fun". If you like the sound of the k81s and comfort of HD555s, the HD595s do sound like a possibility. IMO, I like them for a lot of my rock.....only thing that the Grados can clearly beat them at are certain techno and metal genres. But these are things to think about after you've heard the V6
wink.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:46 AM Post #15 of 17
While I am not one of the more experienced members in these forums, my purchase of the MDR V6 a year back just illustrated how different the choices and interpretations can be among people in matters of sound....

I was looking for a closed-back sub-100$ can and Senn HD280 and MDR V6 were top 2 choices. I very briefly tried both of them at a Guitar Center. The HD280 felt too tight and heavy and the V6 sounded exciting. So I went for the V6.

I don't think it was a great decision. Also, I do not think it is bad source material that makes them sound bad. I second Kramer5150 in his assessment. They have a hole in the "warmth" area of the frequency spectrum. As for the highs they are not "flat" as some members say; they are bright. It is infact a high-mid brightness since they do extend too far in the highs. Sizzly, tizzy, spitty, "cone-breakupy' ....whatever you call it. On the bass side, while they aren't very well defined, they are more or less balanced.

As for their use in Studios, I doubt if I am wrong if I say they were popular studio monitors. They are a pretty old model and that is a fact.

I think the market is a bit lean in the sub-100$ closed-back circumaural category... But I won't buy them again.

Just for comparison, I also own the UE super.fi 5 Pros, and while comparing a headphone to a IEM is not valid on several counts, apart from bass heft and overall dynamics, the super.fi 5 pros beat the V6s on all counts - including bass detail.

All in all, do not make a blind purchase. These cans have a reputation, but in present day you can surely do better.

My .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back