How bright is an ultrasone pro 900?
Dec 31, 2008 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 207

ph0rk

Headphoneus Supremus
I've sifted through all the threads about the pro 900's, but I feel I still don't have a solid idea of how they sound - I know the bass is quite present, but how is the treble? Are they smiley-faced, like a beyer DT990? Or is the treble more polite, like an HD650? Are the mids recessed?

I'm thinking of giving a pair a try, but there are no stores with them to try nearby - afaik no local stores have any in stock.

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #2 of 207
I only received mine today and as far as my early impressions allow me to say, I feel that it's certainly not bright. It's a pretty dark headphone overall which is mostly due to the absolutely overwhelming bass. At least for me, the bass is the limiting factor in volume adjustment and the result is that everything else is more quiet than the bass.

I've also done some measurements which clearly shows how boosted its bass is and how lacking its mids are in comparison:
pro_900_1.png

Hope that helps. So far I wouldn't say they're worth the price even though there's lots of nice accessories like two different cables, the Ultrasone Demonstration disc, two sets of pads and a mini-adapter.
For notorious bassheads the PRO 900 must be a revelation though...

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by big-ban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only received mine today and as far as my early impressions allow me to say, I feel that it's certainly not bright. It's a pretty dark headphone overall which is mostly due to the absolutely overwhelming bass. At least for me, the bass is the limiting factor in volume adjustment and the result is that everything else is more quiet than the bass.

I've also done some measurements which clearly shows how boosted its bass is and how lacking its mids are in comparison:
pro_900_1.png

Hope that helps. So far I wouldn't say they're worth the price even though there's lots of nice accessories like two different cables, the Ultrasone Demonstration disc, two sets of pads and a mini-adapter.
For notorious bassheads the PRO 900 must be a revelation though...

I received mine just 30 minutes ago and I am listening to them now.
The bass is WAY over the top and the highs are tinny, harsh and there is a lot of sibilance (Diana Krall).
I know from experience that these effects will for the best part be gone after 100 hours or so of burn-in.
Have patience...
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 207
I absolutely disagree (respectfully). The bass has so much improved after the first 100-150hrs from a booming loud bass to a normal bass with alot of detail (more than my stax SR-X even), also it isn't so amp dependent as alot of heapdhones. I'm gonna sell my Sextett, K701 and even my Grado SR-325i woodied because this ultrasone combined with a nice stax just satisfies me. I don't know how many people agree with me, nor how much people have actually listened to a properly burned-in Pro 900, but I definetly urge more people to do so.

The highs are detailed without being sharp or squeeky, so the headphone is very easy to listen to for long times. The midrange is magical imo, some of the best I have ever heard. The bass has an amazing detail weight and texture to it. And again the S-Logicplus just seems to work for me, I can understand if it doesn't work for you your opinion on this headphone will be quite opposite.

Greetings,

Victor

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received mine just 30 minutes ago and I am listening to them now.
The bass is WAY over the top and the highs are tinny, harsh and there is a lot of sibilance (Diana Krall).
I know from experience that these effects will for the best part be gone after 100 hours or so of burn-in.
Have patience...
wink.gif

Hm, maybe you're listening too loud? I simply don't want to listen louder because the bass would otherwise blow my brain away, so maybe I'm missing out on all the beautiful sibilance
wink.gif

Oh and my PRO 900 is probably burned-in already, I'm the second owner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I absolutely disagree (respectfully). The bass has so much improved after the first 100-150hrs from a booming loud bass to a normal bass with alot of detail (more than my stax SR-X even), also it isn't so amp dependent as alot of heapdhones. I'm gonna sell my Sextett, K701 and even my Grado SR-325i woodied because this ultrasone combined with a nice stax just satisfies me. I don't know how many people agree with me, nor how much people have actually listened to a properly burned-in Pro 900, but I definetly urge more people to do so.

The highs are detailed without being sharp or squeeky, so the headphone is very easy to listen to for long times. The midrange is magical imo, some of the best I have ever heard. The bass has an amazing detail weight and texture to it. And again the S-Logicplus just seems to work for me, I can understand if it doesn't work for you your opinion on this headphone will be quite opposite.

Greetings,

Victor

I disagree to disagree, respectfully of course. What's there to disagree on? Measurements don't lie, now do they? The bass is obviously pumped, says the graph, says my ears and says Kees' ears (and the ears of many other head-fiers I know). I can totally accept that you're liking its tonality, you're getting used to the amount of bass and that due to the fact S-Logic is working for you, its soundstage seems good to you. But the facts stand and that's that the PRO 900 has pretty severely emphasized bass.
I'll make sure to do some more measurements in a few weeks from now, but I really doubt the bass will go down 10-15 db to somewhat approach neutral territory.
I'm not saying the bass is boomy by the way, it's of decent quality. It's just totally overemphasized. My main criticism overall is its tonality.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 207
you cant judge the ultrasones on the first day you have them, they need at least 300 hours burn-in (mine took a few months before they stopped changing) where they smooth out alot.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 207
C’mon, reading ain’t that hard.

Quote:

Oh and my PRO 900 is probably burned-in already, I'm the second owner.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 207
Well measurements are crap in comparing and judging audio equipment, though I do get your point of the overemphasized bass. But my main point is that EVERYBODY thinks the bass is extreme, but every owner except you till now has got the bass settled down to a normal level. You should always speak from your own experience, and this is my experience. And don't give me any of the bs that I'm getting 'used' to loads of bass, because all my other headphones are lying here next to me, and I don't suddenly think they are bass shy at all, when I directly compare them!

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 207
Hmm. I'm looking for a roughly equivalent level closed can to the HD650, and I'm wary of Denon build quality - could a pro 900 hang with an HD650? (Probably driven by a GS-1). I don't expect it to sound the same, but I'd prefer it not to sound like a DT770
wink.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm. I'm looking for a roughly equivalent level closed can to the HD650, and I'm wary of Denon build quality - could a pro 900 hang with an HD650? (Probably driven by a GS-1). I don't expect it to sound the same, but I'd prefer it not to sound like a DT770
wink.gif

The Kenwood KH-K1000 would be a more likely candidate if you like the HD650.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #13 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Kenwood KH-K1000 would be a more likely candidate if you like the HD650.

I can't get my hands on them with a return policy, and on top of that they have pleather earpads. >$150 headphones with pleather earpads is criminal, imho.

Now, if the AT leather pads from the W series fits...

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 207
Quote:

Well measurements are crap in comparing and judging audio equipment,

Why? It's better to have measurements next to all the vague and diffuse comments based on terminology that isn't even used in the same way by everyone. Makes it easier to see what we're talking about. Of course the Frequency Response Chart doesn't tell the whole story, but it really helps getting an orientation.

Quote:

though I do get your point of the overemphasized bass. But my main point is that EVERYBODY thinks the bass is extreme, but every owner except you till now has got the bass settled down to a normal level. You should always speak from your own experience, and this is my experience.

Are you making a list or something? And are you trying to tell me that the PRO 900's bass has gone down by 10-15 db during burn-in? I doubt that's true, I'd rather believe in different versions of the same headphone or in varying quality of production to begin with. I remember someone buying a "defective" Edition 9 that sounded odd and when he sent it to Ultrasone for a checkup, they replaced the drivers. After that it sounded totally different.
Well, I'm willing to revert my statement, should my PRO 900 really change that much with burn-in. I shall report back on this some time. But I really doubt it.

Quote:

And don't give me any of the bs that I'm getting 'used' to loads of bass, because all my other headphones are lying here next to me, and I don't suddenly think they are bass shy at all, when I directly compare them!

MY EXPERIENCE shows me that there's a factor called brain-burn-in. There's short-term brain-burn-in and long-term brain-burn-in, both contribute to getting used to a headphone's signature and not finding it odd, shrill, bassy, whatever after a certain amount of time anymore.
That doesn't explain what you're hearing comparing the PRO 900 to an SR325i. But frankly I don't know you or your methods of comparison, so I can't figure out from here what might be wrong or not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph0rk

The HD650 is much more mids-centric with overall much less bass, especially deep bass. I also have a measurement of the HD650 in my gallery.
The PRO 900 sounds much like what I remember from the old DT770 Pro, albeit a bit more extreme. The newer DT770 Consumer Edition is supposed to be more neutral.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 207
Quote:

Are you making a list or something?

Comments like that aren't funny nor helpfull. As far as I can remember your post before this one you were listing the people who 'agreed' with your opinion, not me.

Quote:

And are you trying to tell me that the PRO 900's bass has gone down by 10-15 db during burn-in?

I never did a measurement, I listen to music.

Quote:

MY EXPERIENCE shows me that there's a factor called brain-burn-in. There's short-term brain-burn-in and long-term brain-burn-in, both contribute to getting used to a headphone's signature and not finding it odd, shrill, bassy, whatever after a certain amount of time anymore.
That doesn't explain what you're hearing comparing the PRO 900 to an SR325i. But frankly I don't know you or your methods of comparison, so I can't figure out from here what might be wrong or not.

I did direct comparisons to a stax SR-XMKIII which is known for bass-shyness, I did compensate it with a warmer sounding NAD amp, but still it isn't a bass monster by any means, the pro 900 has just slightly louder (and deeper) bass than the SR-X, no brain burn-in here, direct comparison.

Kind regards,

Victor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back