How big is your ride? SUVs, Hummers and Four Wheelin' Yah or Nay?
Apr 1, 2005 at 4:45 PM Post #31 of 72
Many american consumers like to equate the forumula "size=luxury". Another explanation is the bigger cars are visibly and physically present. People just feel not only safer, but authoritative in these gigantic vehicles. It's very psychological and socio-economical. 200% sure thing is that it's much more easier to be showy with humongous cars due to their sheer volume of size.

I like many SUVs, but when it exceeds the purpose and size it's really waste of money and energy. Why we americans have to be depedant on foreign oil??? It's really matter of national security in the long term. The gasoline price will curb these ridiculous vehicles on the road naturally. Yes I don't like these EXTRA LARGE SUVs, Suburban, Yukon Denali, Escalade, Navigator, H2. I think there should be extra tax driving these SUVs. Use the tax to research into alternative fuel solution, efficiency and infrastructure.

Apr 1, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Use the tax to research into alternative fuel solution, efficiency and infrastructure

by that kind of reasoning maybe everyone here should be taxed for spending inordanant amounts of loot for better amps and headphones when a lesser amp would do just fine according to the majority of the human race !

how DARE we spend money on something of so little substance when there are people in need !

we should all be taken out back,properly spanked,then taxed until we scream NO MORE or see the error of our ways and go back to listening to the headphones that come with the portable player for all things.

who do we think we are anyway dammit !

Apr 2, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #34 of 72
2002 Subaru Outback VDC H-6. Yesterday I was out all day surveying some trout streams in SE MN. 350+ miles on all sorts of roads; interstate, city, two lane, gravel, soft mud, curvy river, etc. Dunlop M2s Winter on second set of alloy rims did everything well. MacIntosh 11 speaker 200 watt stereo. This car is the best I have ever owned. Four wheel drive and independent suspension, 4 wheel discs, 214hp eats VWs, I have yet to bottom out even in the bush, and 24MPG overall. Ultimate sneaker. Every car is a compromise, and I can only tow 2000#, but other then that (and not being a dragster), this Subie is amazing!. PS: saw wild turkey, red tail hawks, eagle, deer, buffalo and much more. Way cool. I've got to swap out for the summer tires this weekend.

Apr 2, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
by that kind of reasoning maybe everyone here should be taxed for spending inordanant amounts of loot for better amps and headphones when a lesser amp would do just fine according to the majority of the human race !

how DARE we spend money on something of so little substance when there are people in need !

we should all be taken out back,properly spanked,then taxed until we scream NO MORE or see the error of our ways and go back to listening to the headphones that come with the portable player for all things.

who do we think we are anyway dammit !

LOL, I do not think he was referring to the money. I think he meant that you can drive three Civics for every H2.

Apr 19, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #37 of 72
this was posted on my home forum.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvsidboy
here are the pics of my friends 05 mustang...she waited like 8 months for this car to get to her...and it did about 4 weeks ago...and here is what happened yesterday.....

13.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

1.jpg

14.jpg

here is a pic I took at the crash site...
onscene.jpg

she is fine and okay now....police said that if anyone was in the back they would of been killed and if the truck was moving any faster she would of been hurt badly or killed aswell...
http://idahostreetracing.com/phpBB2/...pic.php?t=5350

the lady who was driving was not severly hurt apparently...

Apr 19, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #39 of 72
The all wheel drive to get me anywhere with good snow tires, and exceptional performance. All in a tidy, four door, practical package.

original.jpg

Apr 19, 2005 at 1:53 AM Post #40 of 72
Well, I just traded in my '01 VW Jetta Wolfsburg (what a sweet ride)...for an '02 VW Eurovan. Actually, my wife is driving the van and I got her '03 VW Jetta Wagon TDI. All 90 horses. Yipee! Driving to work hasn't been so blah for a couple of years. Of course I'm getting 52 MPG (have to make up for the 19 MPG of the van somehow). And I don't see any speeding tickets in my forseeable future.

Driving the van is like driving a UPS truck- this ain't no minivan. Actually, it's a nice ride- we got the MV version- so the two rear seating areas face each other. Hey, I'm upfront, the kids are a whole different issue!
smily_headphones1.gif

And yeah, we're stuck on VW- my wife was in a serious head on accident (not her fault) in her first 03 wagon, and it handled the crash like a champ- the car was totaled, but the three occupants walked away with just minor injuries.

Apr 19, 2005 at 2:06 AM Post #41 of 72
I hate H2's, they're useless vehicles that don't deserve the hummer badge. Just because its large and has hummer styling doesn't change the fact its built on a tahoe chassis, although most people who buy one probably don't understand what this means and the difference between the H1/H2 anyways. I'm willing to bet a lot of people think the H2 is a better vehicle than the H1 because of it's higher denomination. I'm all for suv's, if they are actually used by their owners as a utility vehicle. H2's and Escalades on the other hand are just a big waste of gas and a disgusting symbol of American ignorance.

en480c4 what do you find lacking on a jeep for an everyday driver? I was planning on getting a jeep for my first car, seems like a great utilitarian vehicle, and I'd like to pursue offroading as a hobby in the future as well.

Apr 19, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
I hate H2's, they're useless vehicles that don't deserve the hummer badge. Just because its large and has hummer styling doesn't change the fact its built on a tahoe chassis, although most people who buy one probably don't understand what this means and the difference between the H1/H2 anyways. I'm willing to bet a lot of people think the H2 is a better vehicle than the H1 because of it's higher denomination. I'm all for suv's, if they are actually used by their owners as a utility vehicle. H2's and Escalades on the other hand are just a big waste of gas and a disgusting symbol of American ignorance.

en480c4 what do you find lacking on a jeep for an everyday driver? I was planning on getting a jeep for my first car, seems like a great utilitarian vehicle, and I'd like to pursue offroading as a hobby in the future as well.

I feel it is pretty safe to say that the H2 is a better vehicle than the H1. It is actually a modern design that is a lot more functional than the H1. Despite being a lot bigger, head, elbow and leg room in the H1 is much smaller. The H1 was never designed to be a cilivian car, therefore it certainly isnt a good one.

The fact that it is a tahoe means nothing, and it should mean nothing. Because the Hummer shares the platform with a GM doesn't automatically mean that it is bad. In fact, it is more likely to be good, because shared resources and the use of a well tested and refined design is probably more likely to result in a good design than something ground up. The same thing happens with the volvos and jaguars, people blast them for sharing underpinnings with ford. The problem is not in the car itself but in the mindset. The mighty porsche itself came from the lowly VW!

These days styling and design is the most important component of cars, as people are purchasing on emotion and desire - thus the increase in brand "personalities". The technical differences in many cars are now much smaller than before and the worst car you can buy in the class isn't really all that much worse than the best car.

As for what I drive: the premium guzzling pimpin' curtained chauffeur car
wink.gif

aaaa.jpg

except that I am my own chauffeur

Apr 19, 2005 at 5:02 AM Post #45 of 72
For me, the smaller the better. My next car will be an MR2 Spyder or Lotus Elise, depending on my next job
tongue.gif
Right now I'm driving a 97 Saturn SC2. Damn good handling car for the price, fairly quick too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back