How big is an Apogee MiniDac
Apr 19, 2006 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bones13

Headphoneus Supremus
The Apogee MiniDAC/USB is currently my choice for a DAC upgrade from my Spitfire (which I don't feel is any better than the 1212m, even with the opamp upgrade). I have rather shallow shelves behind my desk upon which my rig sits. The shelves are almost 12 inches deep, with a wooden back.

I have looked all over, and can not find the actual physical dimensions of the MiniDAC listed anywhere.

Would someone please take a tape measure to their unit and let me know how deep the unit is?

I really liked the Stello DA100, but it is 11.5 deep already, and by the time ICs are attatched, it will be too deep for my shelves. I am also intrigued with using USB as an input as I use computer source almost exclusively. I can't seem to find any current review of the wavelength tech products, and they are too expensive anyways.

Thanks in advance.

Apr 20, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 3
Apogee MiniDac is about 10 in deep from front to back panel plus about 2 inches for power supply jack connected to DAC .
Remember that DAC has no RCA outputs - XLR and mini connections only available. If you'd prefer better sound from XLR, add at least 4-5 inches for IC's with XLR or XLR adapters.
But sound first. I couldn't say this dac is perfect but nevertheless it's real improvement over ordinary sound card.

Apr 21, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Serge,

I know about the connectors, and was going to start with a mini - rca adapter. But it does sound like it might be on the deep side for my cabinets as well.

Now that there are some folks actually discussing the VDA2 (which will fit well) I am going to wait just a tad more and look at it some more.

Not sure why, with all the other specs on the website about the MiniDAC, they could not put the physical dimensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back