how attenuation are sennheisser cx300/alternatives?
Mar 23, 2006 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jon_m

100+ Head-Fier
Am thinking of getting these phones - anyone know how good they are at blocking external sound (compared to say etymotics?) I guess an alternative would be to try to find a fairly isolating pair of closed back headphones, and wear earplugs with these to increase isolation?

Thanks,

Jon

EDIT: actually, found them for £30, so will just order a pair to find out for myself
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT - meant to say 'attenuating' in the title. Doh.

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 3

LaBreaHead

Headphoneus Supremus
The less-pricey canal phones won't isolate as extensively as IEMs such as Etymotics, Westones, UE's, Shures, etc. When you're playing music through "regular" canal phones, you'll have to rely on the music "drowning out" outside noise, rather than having the 'phones do most of the isolation on their own. But they will isolate a little -- I've known people to use them in the gym to "overwhelm" the music played on the gym's sound system. Be sure to gently press them as far into the ear as possible, for the best/fullest sound.

Mar 25, 2006 at 11:22 AM Post #3 of 3

jon_m

100+ Head-Fier
Thanks for the info. Hmm, decisions - could send these back and get a basic pair of shures, only about £15 more. Are shures likely to isolate a fair bit better than the sennheiser, then? And I had a problem with the ety 6is picking up a hiss from my MD player - are the shures likely to do the same?

Thanks,

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread