How are the HFi-780s compared to the M50?
Jan 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

nsx280ps

100+ Head-Fier
Which one of these is more fun?

I tried to search, but seems to be getting contradictory information.  I understand both seems to work well without an amp.  Ill be using these mostly for trance and vocal trance.  I also looked into the Hfi-580, but I don't really want bloated boomy bass (thats what i would call the crossfade LPs), just a bit bass focused with a tendency toward neutral.  However, I do like bass impact, and texture (not sure if Im describing this right).

I dont mind a brighter and forward sounding headphone like the V6s, how are these compared to the V6?  I also have the K240 studio, while its bass is ok, I find the highs are rolled off too much, and the sound coming from them is somewhat dull and lifeless.

So for those that had both at one point, which one did you like better?

Thanks

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 12

Quote:
but I don't really want bloated boomy bass

HFi580 hasn't bloated boomy bass, but punchy bass.

Quote:
just a bit bass focused with a tendency toward neutral.

Effectively the HFi780 is more "balanced" than the HFi580 (but balanced is a big word for an Ultrasone headphone,lol).

Quote:
However, I do like bass impact, and texture

Well, the HFi580 bass are more impactful, whereas the HFi780 bass are more textured :).

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 12
While I havn't tried the 780 personally, I have tried 580 and can compare its bass to the M50 a tad bit.  Yes the M50's is a bit bloated in comparison to the Ultrasone bass.  The ultrasone bass is snappier, especially in the mid-bass.  The M50 is a tad boomy in that market by comparison.  Neither sound boomy at all when pitted up against that horrible crossfade LP that I heard in the apple store, though.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 12
HFI-780 is an excellent choice.  Bass-heavy, but not too much, textured and punchy, very forward, quite bright, excels with electronic music.  The V6 is more of a studio monitoring headphone and not nearly as fun, more of a straight-ahead, plain sound.

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 12
Ya...I too would say the the bass on the 780 is much better than the M50.  Although the M50 is a more balanced headphone I think.  The 780's have a nicely controlled subwoofer type of bass. 

The 780 REALLY takes some time to mellow out the highs though.  They can be quite bright!  The 780 is also a more fun headphone to me.  Quite involving. 

Word of caution:  If you have never listened to Ultrasone's before, you need to be prepared for the SLogic.  Some people really just can't stand the sound.  I personally don't notice the SLogic all that much in the 780.  It's very noticable in teh Edition 8. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #6 of 12
HFI-580 or 780 IMO. Both need a long burn-in, but I like the faster, more 'rumbly' bass of the Ultrasones a lot more than that of the M50s. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
None of the headphones need any break in. You guys are all silly mindless zealots <3
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

It's actually relatively well-documented that bass tends to vanish during burn-in of many Ultrasones, not returning until around 90 hours. Also, I've tested two M50s (one new and one with over 1000 hours on it) side-by-side blind and found that the broken in unit had more controlled bass and better mids.

Jan 19, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 12
Yep.  I can't say much to the measurements of breakin periods...but I can tell you the highs have mellowed a bit on my 780's after about 30 hours or so.  And I can say FOR SURE that the bass in my Edition 8 dialed in and became less boomy and more controled after about 50 hours or more. 

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
None of the headphones need any break in. You guys are all silly mindless zealots <3

An headphone driver, like a speaker need a burn-in. A diaphragm is a mechanical parts who need burn-in, its not something subjectif, its an objectif fact. The only question that can be asked is : if I would hear a difference after burn-in ? After burn-in some headphones/speakers have big changes, others, almost no change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back