How are the Denon AHD2000s?
Dec 22, 2010 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

Clincher09

500+ Head-Fier
On my quest to find some good bass heavy headphones I bought the Shure SRH750DJs, and while they do fit most of my needs a few things are lacking. Comfort wise, I feel like they have a vice grip on my head which is really bothersome. I listen to a lot of metal, and I really like the way the guitars and bass sound, but I feel like the drums are lacking, and they sound a little too analytical for my tastes. I bought them as an upgrade from my HD 485s but I don't feel like they were much of an upgrade.

I don't know the right term to describe this, but when I listen to metal through the 750DJs it doesn't sound as "full" as my HD 485s, but I do like the detail better with the 750DJs. I was thinking about spending more money if it was worth it, and I've been looking at the Denon AHD2000s. I'm reading a few reviews but I'd like some straight answers:

How is the bass? I'd like just as much as the 750DJs (I'm a basshead). I want to feel the headphones actually rumble when heavy bass kicks in.
How are the rest of the frequencies? The thing that kept me from getting the Beyer DT770s was the recessed mids. 
How is the sound stage? I'd like just as much or more than the 750DJs
How are they comfort wise?
Do I need an amp? I have an E5 right now but if they require something more powerful I wouldn't be against it. 
Will they sound good for metal? I also listen to hip-hop, electronic, and some orchestral, but the thing that matters most is how metal will sound. I want to hear the guitars clearly, I want to hear the drum hits and I want the vocals to sound nice. 

Thanks in advance.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 34
I don't think I'll be able to answer all your questions, but I don't think the D2000 will have enough bass for you. The reason is just that the 750DJ is a lot more bass heavy to me. In fact so much that I returned it.

Based on all the reviews of the D2000 I was positive I'd hate it. When I got it I loved it. I was surprised that the mids when properly amped didn't feel recessed to me. Strange since this seems to go against what everyone else says. I'm really picky about my mids. Even vocals didn't sound distant or hard to hear. The bass was actually quite well controlled and not boomy or bloated to me (when amped).

The soundstage on the D2000 is very good for a closed headphone. Probably one of the best i've heard. Sounds almost like an open headphone. They're also perhaps one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever had. Comfort for me would get a 10/10. The sound signature is a little laid back to me, but not as much as say the HD-600.

Despite what other people say, I don't suggest them without a good amp or just an E5. I'd almost always suggest the M50 over them for those that don't have an amp. After the first day I tried them without an amp and my reaction was like "What the heck happened to these?". I connected them back up to my desktop amp and everything was back to normal.

Unfortunately I had to get rid of them. I absolutely 100% wanted to keep them and I'll probably get another pair next year.

For an E5 I could suggest the D1100 over them if you REALLY want a ton of bass. I myself hated them, but the bass was just too much and the mids were not good enough for me. The D1100 is now $135 from Amazon. Actually just ignore what I said, but it's an idea.

FYI I think the 750DJ would have better mids then all of these, but that's just a guess.

D2000 are definitely worth getting an amp for. You can test them out with your E5 and see if you like them. Some have no problem with them unamped, but I just don't. Unamped I found the bass a bit uncontrolled and the mids a tad recessed.

What's funny is that I owned them a year back and immediately hated them, but I didn't have a desktop amp at the time!

Another idea is the DT-990, but I actually felt the mids were more recessed than the D2000. The 32ohm versions are still not that easy to drive.

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 34
I might be willing to sacrifice a little bit of bass if they are better overall. I've read reviews where people thought they had too much bass so I at least know they aren't bass shy. I think I'm just going to order them from Amazon and do a side by side comparison. What is the most inexpensive amp you would recommend with the D2000?

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 34

Quote:
I might be willing to sacrifice a little bit of bass if they are better overall. I've read reviews where people thought they had too much bass so I at least know they aren't bass shy. I think I'm just going to order them from Amazon and do a side by side comparison. What is the most inexpensive amp you would recommend with the D2000?

Probably the $100 Total Airhead. Or you could get a Nuforce Mobile with a built in DAC. I'm not a fan of it as an amp though. I actually haven't tried any very cheap amps yet, sorry.
I bet a stereo system or receiver could drive the D2000 quite well. Sorry, not much help here.

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 34
I'll look into the airhead. I'm also considering getting the D1100s if I wouldn't be sacrificing too much. I've read that they have a very warm sound which I like. I just wish I had the money to do a side by side comparison of the D1100s and D2000s.

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #8 of 34
If you have an amp, I say the d2000 all the way much more balance and just the right amount of bass.  The d1100 are somewhat unbalanced and too excessive bass.  I just got an amp with the d2000 and I'm pretty happy. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #10 of 34
The d1100 to my ears have too heavy bass for the d1100 recess mids and there dark signature. I also find the vocals to be off with female singer.  The d1100 seems to be limited on genre also.  The d2000 sounds more natural therefore different genre seems to be more acceptable.  I really believe if you can afford it to jump for d2000 over the d1100, go for it.  I find the d2000 with an amp have better stronger bass than the M50.  Although, I'm not sure about vs. other headphone you were questioning.  This is simply my opinion on d1100 vs. d2000.

As for amp, I just bought the E7 and they sound pretty good to my ears.  Let just say without an amp, I was pretty unsatisfied and was borderline returning them. Now that I have the E7,  I'm pretty happy.  I can finally say I'm done for awhile after 6 months of searching for the one headphone that I am happy with.  I'm not going to say the same thing will happen to you, as each person prefer different things.  I'm not sure if the E5 is good enough or not, but I believe the E7 is good enough using the USB through a laptop.  I haven't tried it through my iphone yet as I don't have an LOD yet (I'm about to order one). 

Your E5 might and I say might as I don't really know, be able to push them.  They seems pretty acceptable with amp as the the icon mobile, Udac, and also the E7 seems to do okay.  I probable grab the E9 eventually to see if they can do anything more for the d2000.

If you do get the E7, Set the EQ on bass boost on 1 and just sit back and enjoy.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 34
I agree with everything tdockweiler had to say. The D2000s are truly a great set of headphones. The best amp ~$100-125 that I can suggest for them if you are into huge bass is the Little Dot I+. They sound absolutely great together. I used them for a while with the E5. They sound better with it but the difference is minute. But, the bass thump you'd get with them when paired with Little Dot I+ is absolutely incredible.
IMO you should get the D2000s and get the Little Dot I+ when you can afford it ( I did that too :) ). I haven't heard the D1100s yet but am planning to get them sometime next week (plan to use them for hip-hop). However, I'm pretty sure the D2000s will remain my favorite cans.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #12 of 34
My source will be a Zune HD. I was looking at the Little Dot and I couldn't figure out how that would connect to a Zune? Also, 

Will the 2000 sound unbearable without a proper amp? I don't want to have headphones just lying around for the next few months while I save money to get an amp.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 34
IMO D2000s sound good without an amp (not great but definitely good). The mids are a bit recessed and the bass is not as tight. IMO with an amp, these symptoms vanish and hence they sound great. I sometimes use them right out of my Zune 30GB and they sound very good (no idea about zune HD though). You can connect the Zune to a Little Dot I+ using a Y - splitter (the Little Dot takes RCA in) which is included with the amp purchase (you can always purchase a branded cable later if you'd like).
Hope that helps.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 34
Alright thanks, I'm gonna order the 2000s after I get paid and test them out over the next few weeks. I'm also going to look for used Little Dots or E7s if I can find them.

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #15 of 34
I don't know, some say that they sound good without an amp, but to me it's not worth owning without an amp.  the d2000 sound like they are lacking soul and fullness. Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back