How are the Beats Pro, Detox and Studios?
Nov 7, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #121 of 150

Quote:
I actually think the Beats Pro aren't too bad. I like them. I mostly listen to hip hop/techno and they aren't too bad. Listening to other stuff is a pain though. I currently have the Ultrasone Pro 900 and Sennheiser hd 25-1 ii and I don't think the Pro's are bad at all. 

how much better are the 900s and hd 25 compared to the pro though?

Nov 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #122 of 150
I would say the 900s has more clarity, especially when listening to different genres. The bass is tighter unlike the Pro's which is more quantity. The hd 25 have less bass than the 900's and Pro's but again have more clarity than the Pro's and bass is tighter, but not as much quantity than the 900's and Pro's. I'm not a critical listener nor do I listen to music that has a lot of instrumentals so some other opinions may be greatly different than mine. 

Nov 10, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #123 of 150

Quote:
Just going to answer OP's question:

Beyond audiophile snobbishness and pedantry and pride and whatnot, the Beats in any iteration are a marketing ploy. I would know. I just got what is ostensibly an authentic Detox from an uncle. Guy has a Cambridge Audio -> 12AX7+KT88 Duntonic -> JBL floorstanding rig, so I thought he would know better. It's the thought that counts though.

Let me assure you that the Detox is a lumbering piece of overhyped marketing trash that in my opinion, tangentially misses the mark at which one could find it possible to sue for misrepresentation. Out of my laptop (it has a decently clean Conexant integrated soundcard - the Beats deserve nothing more for a source), testing it with 24/96 recordings of Mozart's Violin Concerto No.4 performed by Marianne Thorsen and the last movement of Beethoven's Symphony No.9 under the Berlin Philharmoniker and Claudio Abbado, I found cans that could not even hold a candle to the M50's, which I hated. Seriously, for that price, I pine for a top-class closed headphone such as the AT woodies, Thunderpants or even the Z1000 and SRH940. The mids would recessed, as soulless as the marketing behind it, with highs that besmirch the purity of the violin concerto aforementioned. Soundstage would be obviously larger than stock earbuds to the uninitiated due to the inordinate amount of backwaves and echos from a casing designed to look as pretentious and ridiculous as possible. The paddings are thick, but are obviously pleather - unacceptable for the price. My father was shocked at the quality of the Beats too. Guy knows his hi-fi (he thrashed everything short of a HD800 in terms of resolution), and believed my ranting afterwards.

tl;dr I gave them to my brother.

I would also kill for the Z1000 in exchange for the Detox LNIB. All documentation present. I am sure some Headfiers would be tempted....

The pretentious, it is strong with this one.

Jan 2, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #124 of 150
Beats are a bit pricey so dont get the Pro or Detox, my best choice would be the Mixr. They come in Black, red or white and are quite stylish. I got mine brand new from a shop for €210 ($277) so they are quite a bit cheaper than the Detox or Pros. I would advise you buy them.

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #125 of 150
What I dont understand is the beat studios get so much hate and everyone says they are terrible sounding, but then go on consumer reports and they rated 71 and are reconmended and in the picture, they are the 4th down from the top.  Just double click it to see it betterbettered. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #126 of 150
Quote:
What I dont understand is the beat studios get so much hate and everyone says they are terrible sounding, but then go on consumer reports and they rated 71 and are reconmended and in the picture, they are the 4th down from the top.  Just double click it to see it betterbettered. 

Those reports are made by the same zombies that bouth them and praise them like theyre the shizzle.

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #127 of 150
Who even trusts Consumer Reports anymore?

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #128 of 150
Quote:

It's all marketing. They pay people to writhe positive reviews. They also pay websites to put them in good positions. And when it comes to average consumers, it's really efficient.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #129 of 150
Has anyone tried the executives? 
Tempted to buy a pair after hearing how it sounds. Tried it on in store and was comparing it with my qc3s and friends tma-1s
Full metal construction, noise cancellation better than the studios and it isn't bass heavy like the studios. 

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #130 of 150
Quote:
Has anyone tried the executives? 
Tempted to buy a pair after hearing how it sounds. Tried it on in store and was comparing it with my qc3s and friends tma-1s
Full metal construction, noise cancellation better than the studios and it isn't bass heavy like the studios. 

My classmate actually has them, and I had a chance to listen to them. They sound even worse than the Studios. The fact is that the permanent hissing sound from noise canceling makes
sounds REALLLY REALLY HARSH and unbearable. Overall beats executives has no soundstage whatsoever .

Jan 7, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #131 of 150
Dude,

You just can't say the best sound quality headphones looks ugly. To me, i don't think they are ugly, the companies design them to look classic and let people enjoy how it is being like working in the studio.
I could recommended a headphone by my FAVOURITE COMPANY, Beyerdynamic

IT IS A CUSTOM MADE HEADPHONE. IN ADDITION, IT LOOKS COOL AND SOUND BETTER THEN BEATS

IT IS CALLED Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

try it better then Sony and Beats

Jan 17, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #133 of 150
Studios are very low quality for the price you pay for them, they sound loud and strongly vibrate but no sound quality in my opinion.
Detox is a bit better in Bass and sound as well than Pro. Bought my detox for £430, they looked very nice but the sound compared to the much cheaper Sennheiser ones is awfull. I thought I`m going to cry when first listened to them, the sound was horrible. If listen to Rapp or Hip Hop with no clear bass they sound good, but when clear and long depp bass available from the output you do not hear it with the Detox compared to Sennheisers costing only around £100. If you will listen to HD 650 than you will see huge differences. There are cheap Sony ones as well that sound much better. My advice, go to any shop and try them before buying for good quality sound. If interrested in their look than detox is cool. But quiet heavy and I see no reason for such metalwork. Most of my old headphones total 14 sennheiser, Beyerdynamic, Sony, Technics are plastic mostly but never managed to brake them. Hope this helped. Good luck.

Feb 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM Post #134 of 150
I went to guitar center to try on a pair of ath-m50s ($150) and compared them with the dr.dre pros ($400) and the ath-m50's blew them out of the water. they aren't the bassiest headphones out there, but they look nice and sound SO much better than any of the beats headphones (I did more comparisons). If you want to look stylish with those, than I think you might be interested in the white version as it looks nice and clean.

Feb 19, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #135 of 150
I just hate the natural frequency response of my beats pro's, but I absolutely love the sound of them once I have dropped the lows and boosted the highs. I just feel like other than their crappy response, they are wonderful headphones. I don't even feel like they are a bad deal at all (like every other beats set of headphones in existence) because after I put clean, powerful signal into them, I don't think they can beat for a set of durable cans. I own a set of HD 800's that I can't even listen to with my normal music. That 6000 hz boost is so painful. Sure they can't be beat for sound quality recorded tracks, but for everything else, I prefer a quiet but thumpy low end, and narrow sound stage. So yeah, I use my eq'd beats more often than my hd 800's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back