How are the Beats by Dre Studio Headphones at 60% off?
Dec 1, 2010 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GhettoLogistics

New Head-Fier
I know at $300 they are overpriced, but how do they compete in the $120 price range? My employee discount gets me that price, but if I'm going to drop over $100 on headphones anyway, might as well get the best ones I can. Keep in mind the "bass heavy" feature of these headphones is actually rather appealing to me based on the music I listen to. 

Was told to ask you guys since you probably have more experience than I. 

Thanks in advance. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 10
"Best" for the money starts to become hard at this point, as there are many solid contenders, and you have to decide what sound quality, comfort, size, accessories, etc. are best for your situation.  Will you have a chance to audition a trial pair on the floor before you buy them?

For $120 the Studios are very competitive.  Anywhere under $150, you start to get your money's worth for these cans, as long as their sound signature and fit is your cup of tea.  Their durability may be a little lacking in my opinion. Also, if you get more serious about shopping around for different headphones, you can always end up selling these on Craigslist for at least as much as you paid (just don't go and start abusing your discount to make money on the side, you can get in serious trouble).  Go to Guitar Center, since they have a bunch of studio headphones.  Try out what they have in your price; see how they all compare to the Dre Beats.

What store do you work at?  Giving us some other models sold there may help us recommend some solid contenders.

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 10
Dec 1, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 10
I get the same discount as you do probably (unless you actually work for Monster) and the discount is 60% off cables and 50% off headphones. 50% off is still good tho.

Dec 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #6 of 10
Best but I got Rocketfish HDMI cables priced at $70 for only $6, this is when the big HD craze was going on. I think for $120 they are a okay deal, honestly I hated the sound signature of them. My friend bought them at full retail and the sides broke in 3 months babying them.

Quote:
I get the same discount as you do probably (unless you actually work for Monster) and the discount is 60% off cables and 50% off headphones. 50% off is still good tho.

Dec 1, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 10
Unless you ONLY listen to hip Hop I'd say steer clear of beats by dre. Any other genre and your distorting the original recording with bloated bass. From personal experience, I wouldn't recommend the beats at a 90% discount, they cheapen good music. Plus they're built like an elderly woman... one drop and they snap in half. 

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 10
For what they are, if you REALLY like the sound, go for it! Don't let anyone tell you that you shouldn't like what you do. They are, however mostly for rap, or maybe dubstep. Keep in mind the bad plastic they're made with, but I feel that at $120, you've taken off the "Dr. Dre" part of what you'd be paying for. If you could tell us where you work so we could recommend other earphones, that'd be great! All in all though, if you like the sound that's a great deal.

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 10
I work at Best Buy. I get them for $120... so no, it's not 50% off. It's closer to 60%, like I said. I'm a little wary of purchasing them because they just feel cheap. I would need to spend about $160 on them plus a protection plan (another $20) to feel at ease... (that's going through Best Buy instead of straight through Monster)

I am interested in the Beats Pros because they're all aluminum, but they jump the price up to $220. Hmmmm.

Dec 2, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 10
Very similar thread here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/525406/beats-pro-worth-it-for-50-off

The general consensus is that even discounted they're not worth it.

My reply in that other thread:
Quote:
Riku540 said:

You can get the DT 770 (whichever edition is to your liking) for less ($170-$180) even with the discount, and will have a much better sound by a long shot. So short answer is no, I would not get Beats even for 50% off.

There are many other options for better sound and price as well, I only threw the DT 770 out there as a closed, bass-heavy comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back