How are the akg 501's
Oct 18, 2002 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

Tom M

500+ Head-Fier
and what kind of music do they sound best with. I noticed they many of the people on this board who own the beyerdynamic dt-250 also have a pair of the 501's. Are the similar In sound? Also are they a closed Headphone. I tend to prefer closed models

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 49
open headphone with very little bass. if you're a heavy-duty bass fan, you won't like these cans that much. however, they are an incredible deal (if you got them for $90 i like did) and really are a headphone in the class of the hd600/rs-1 (in my opinion). it's somewhere inbetween the grado and sennheiser sound. very nice headphones, but you really need a powerful amp to make them sound decent. i recommend the sugden headmaster or rkv.

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:20 PM Post #3 of 49
If the 501's are an open headphone, then that might not be what I want. I tend to prefer closed. I have a pair of dt-250/80 and like the sound. I also have a pair of koss portapros. I was just looking for something new. Please give me a list of the most popular closed headphones that the people on this site are using. Please no high impedences. I will be using these new phones with my component rig but I would still like the impendce to be no higher than 200 ohms.

Oct 18, 2002 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 49
if you can squeeze in a 250 Ohm beast, then the Beyerdynamic DT770-250's are worth a look.

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:11 PM Post #5 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
open headphone with very little bass

Yeah, very little bass compared to the bass bloated headphones many people here seem to adore.

The 501 is basically neutral, neither taking away or adding to recordings. Many people find this offensive or strange to their ears.

Oct 21, 2002 at 2:27 PM Post #6 of 49
I agree, but they do seem to demand the best in amplification in order to sound their best.
(but what headphone really doesn't?
wink.gif
)

But if you like closed cans for isolation, then these are not for you.
frown.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 49
I don't know why but I have this hunch that you'd be wasting your money unless you look at something in the league of the Audio Technica W2002 or Sony R10 as replacments for your low impedance closed DT250.
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 21, 2002 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by Tom M
I tend to prefer closed. ... I will be using these new phones with my component rig but I would still like the impedance to be no higher than 200 ohms.

Could it be that those requirements are based on biases? Closed cans are good for isolation, if you really need that at home, but what is an impedance limitation for if the phones are intended to be used with your home rig?

Thus you just limit the diversity if not the quality level of your headphone world.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 49
The K-501's are very nice sounding cans. They give such a live sound, not to mention the varimotion system they use is MUCH better than crossfeed. They don't sound like headphones, and that's what i love about them.

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 49
I often miss my 501's, and wonder what I would think of them today. TimSchirmer is correct in that they completely alleviate the need (and the effectiveness) of an amplifier-based crossfeed. It has been said many times that they require hefty amplification to sound more satisfying to those that like to hear a bit more of the bass frequencies. But alas, I did not possess such a beast at the time and sold them to a fellow Head-Fier who hopefully appreciates them and still provides a warm, loving home.

Still, TimSchirmer is also correct in that they are "very nice sounding cans". But I don't know if they are for you.

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:36 PM Post #12 of 49
Personally, I heard them at the WOH tour, and I was struck by just how little bass they have. This may have been due to the amp(headroom home). Can anyone suggest some amps that go well with the 501?

Oct 22, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 49
Rather than ammending the missing low bass extension of the K501 with an expensive monster amp, I'd recommend to try the K240S with any reasonably priced amp - livelier sound for less!
biggrin.gif

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back