How amazing are the Koss Portapros?
Nov 25, 2010 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

noingwhat

New Head-Fier
I have heard many great things about the portapros, and I want to get a pair of headphones for under $30. My local bestbuy had them for exactly that. All I really care is the quality of the sound, as I am going to use the drivers to make my own soundproof headphones out of earmuffs. So are the portapros really as great as everyone says? or is there a better set for under $30?

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #2 of 26
I have heard many great things about the portapros, and I want to get a pair of headphones for under $30. My local bestbuy had them for exactly that. All I really care is the quality of the sound, as I am going to use the drivers to make my own soundproof headphones out of earmuffs. So are the portapros really as great as everyone says? or is there a better set for under $30?

they are nice, i loved my pair, but they aren't very durable personally

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 26

Quote:
they are nice, i loved my pair, but they aren't very durable personally

It depends how you treat them...they were my first set of headphones and i really liked them, i say they are good for the price. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 26
never heard the porta pro but the koss UR-40 has a very similar driver and i liked what i was hearing from the UR40. the UR40 is what made me buy the HD650. i liked the openness of the sound and the overall tone. once i realized that the HD650 is the UR40 on steroids i had to have a pair.

Nov 25, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 26
the cord isn't very durable.
the left speaker gave out but when i move the cord around it would come back on so there was an opening, meaning the wires must of twisted itself into two

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 26
i got them a few weeks ago, i like them alot except that there is a lot of sound leakage. otherwise they are very balance, nice deep, tight bass, and nice mids ant treble. greaet for 30

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #8 of 26
i wouldn't call the bass tight and deep. they definitely have a lot of mid-bass, but it falls off pretty sharply. the difference between 100hz and 30 hz is about 8db, and the difference between 100hz and 20hz is about 12db. the bass peaks at about 100hz. so they definitely aren't deep.

i haven't personally heard the porta pro, but the UR-40 uses a very similar driver and i wouldn't call the bass tight. it's ok at medium volumes, but they get out of control pretty easily as you increase the volume.

they aren't a bad starter headphone for somebody on a tight budget though. they'll be hard to beat for the low price as well.
Quote:
i got them a few weeks ago, i like them alot except that there is a lot of sound leakage. otherwise they are very balance, nice deep, tight bass, and nice mids ant treble. greaet for 30

Nov 25, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 26
Sorry to get off topic. I have heard great things of the PortaPros, but I dont like the leakage. What is there that offers similiar sound without as much leakage for around the same price?

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 26
To sum them up, good sound for the buck.  I've had a set now for 7+ years and the durability was not a concern as they'll send ya a new pair of if you break them (which I did).  As others have said, the leakage is pretty bad though which is why I have not used em' much in years outside the home.  Mine are currently doing duty next to my computer.

Nov 26, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #15 of 26
The Porta Pro's sound good, but I was never a huge fan of them. I always preferred the KSC75. So much that I used my Porta Pro headband with them.

There is another headphone that's better, but only when it comes to sound quality and comfort. It's the Maxell DHP-II. Most people are too scared to buy them due to the poor build quality. I'm willing to risk it because the sound is so good.

The next closest thing is the Koss UR-55 without the grill for $50. It sounds more like a $80-$100 headphone to me after it's modded. It has some really good bass also.

Out of the box it's just "good". I only mentioned this because it kind of has that Porta Pro signature but does everything far better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back