How about the JVC HP-DX1000 paired with Zana Deux?
Sep 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nor_spoon

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone listened to this combo?

I have been on the outlook for a different flavour than the HD650, and after reading until my eyes are big, red and sore, my shortlist for now, has boiled down to only this can. I really like the sound of the HD650's with the Zana, but would be nice to try a can that has the richness and body of the senns, but preferable a little more extension in the top without causing fatigue, and could also have deeper bass, although I think the senns are doing fine.
I like the HD650's natural, musical presentation without much emphazise in any areas. The RS-1 sounds like listening through a telephone in comparison, although I like them a lot for lower level listening, and for focusing on guitars. Ok, that statement is a bit exaggerated, but you might get what I mean.

Also, what Skylab said in another thread about the DX1000's not being as dark as the senns, along with their good depth, sounds really good.

I think I might have to give these a try. It would be very nice to hear if you have heard the JVC's with the Zana, and think they could go well together.

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2008 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 10
Zana and DX1000 is not a bad combo. Possibly not the best you'll hear the bottom end of the DX1000 and it 'shallows' the massive soundstage a little, but that is being ultra-critical. I'm not a fan of using low imp phones on the Zana, (the 12R output impedance is a factor here), and I can't dig the RS-1 or GS-1000 with it, but the DX1000 'boogies' along just fine.

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 10
Thank you.
So they might be worth taking a look at. Looks like there are more options in the low imp camp.
Btw, have you heard the Zana with HD650's.

Sep 13, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #4 of 10
You will not be disappointed, imo.
About low impedance phones and Zana. I think it depends which hphones been used. When I tried ESW9 for the first time I was shocked how good they sounded through Zana, but ES7 were not that good at all. Grado PS1 were not bad as well.

Sep 14, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, have you heard the Zana with HD650's.

Sure! Fantastic synergy. Probably my favourite phones with the Zana. The Zana 'lights up' the 650. It's one of the few amps that make the 650 sound 'open' and not 'veiled', IMHO.

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parafeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure! Fantastic synergy. Probably my favourite phones with the Zana. The Zana 'lights up' the 650. It's one of the few amps that make the 650 sound 'open' and not 'veiled', IMHO.

I agree. The Zana really makes a huge difference with the HD650's.
One thing about the HD650's though, is that they are not the best for low level listening imo. They are ok, but can sound a little distant. You need to crank them a little to get things going.
Same with the DX1000's? What keeps me from getting them, except the hit on wallet, is that I read they have even more bass than the senns, and if the Zana does not have total control because of their low imp, they would sound a bit bloated and boomy. That is what bothered me with the senns before.

If you feel for it sometime, I would love to hear a few lines how the JVC's and the senns compare, using the Zana.

Sep 14, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

One thing about the HD650's though, is that they are not the best for low level listening imo. They are ok, but can sound a little distant. You need to crank them a little to get things going.

Yes, I agree with that. There is an imaginary fine line, above which the HD650's 'sing'. I tend to listen at what I'm sure others would consider to be 'loud' as a matter of course with this phone, but I know exactly where you're coming from with that comment.

Quote:

Same with the DX1000's?

No, not at all. The DX1000 is a more detailed phone compared to the Senn and doesn't have a veil to lift. I listen at lower levels with the DX1000 than I would with the HD650.

Quote:

What keeps me from getting them, except the hit on wallet, is that I read they have even more bass than the senns, and if the Zana does not have total control because of their low imp, they would sound a bit bloated and boomy. That is what bothered me with the senns before.

I did say on my initial comment that I was being ultra-critical. I wouldn't say that the DX1000 is out of control. No, not at all. Just that I've heard the bottom end a little tighter. If you enjoy the bottom end of the HD650, I expect you'll be as happy as can be with the bass from DX1000 and Zana. Little risk there, I think. I'd be more concerned about the slight 'mids' voice colouration on the DX1000's, which I think is something that you'll either immediately like or dislike. The Zana can be almost solid-state in the mids. It doesn't negate that colouration in the same way that a warm-mids transformer coupled tube amp does. But I really am being ultra, ultra critical when I say these things and the same goes for my soundstage comment. The problem with describing sound of components is that it is so, so subjective. It's a shame you can't hear the DX1000 and Zana combo without buying a pair.

Quote:

If you feel for it sometime, I would love to hear a few lines how the JVC's and the senns compare, using the Zana.

I am so not good with subjective, descriptive prose. Sorry!

Sep 14, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #8 of 10
Parafeed: Thank you so much for the well written comments.

You just convinced me to get a pair hehe!

I really like what I hear about the JVC's not having a veil to lift.
I know it is all subjective, but since we seem to have very similar opinions about the HD650, and what we like about them, I want to give the DX1000's a try.
I guess I just have to find out for myself if the midrange thing will be an issue for me or not.

So, here goes nothin'. Do not tell my better half
beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

You just convinced me to get a pair hehe!

Oh boy, it's my fault!
wink.gif

Quote:

I guess I just have to find out for myself if the midrange thing will be an issue for me or not.

Well, that's pretty much the only way to be sure. At the end of the day, anyone else's opinion is just that, an opinion. Until you hear them with your setup, you'll never know for sure.

And if it doesn't work out, shoot me a PM. I like these phones so much that I intend to buy another pair. They won't make them forever!

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Oh boy, it's my fault!
wink.gif

Absolutely! You are responsible for this mess! My wallet hates you already
bigsmile_face.gif

Just kidding of course, I really appreciate your comments on the cans. Very useful, and helped me with the decicion. I probably would have gotten them anyway
icon10.gif

Quote:

Well, that's pretty much the only way to be sure. At the end of the day, anyone else's opinion is just that, an opinion. Until you hear them with your setup, you'll never know for sure.

And if it doesn't work out, shoot me a PM. I like these phones so much that I intend to buy another pair. They won't make them forever!

I have been thinking the same thing. Small market, low production, and no one knows how long they will keep it up. Would hate to miss out on it, if they are as good as people say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back