Houston, Texas?
May 26, 2005 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
I just accepted a job in Houston, Texas (Katy, Texas, actually). I've never even been to Texas before! Does anyone have any suggestion, thoughts, ideas, warnings about life in Houston? Does anyone know any "good areas" where I can relocate my family to, in Houston or west of the city (near Katy)? I'm looking for someplace where the rents are affordable, but still a nice quiet, safe area. I'd appreciate any help at all.

May 26, 2005 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 30
Get prepared for some culture shock - from what I hear, Houston has some big, really big, bugs, lots of rain and traffic jams so bad that it'll make you want to punch a brick wall in frustration and insanity.

I was caught in a Traffic jam in Dallas and by chance I met a truck driver that I was in traffic with and I lamented how bad the traffic was. He told me that he'd do that 8 hours a day 7 days a week compared to Houston.
orphsmile.gif

May 26, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
Get prepared for some culture shock - from what I hear, Houston has some big, really big, bugs, lots of rain and traffic jams so bad that it'll make you want to punch a brick wall in frustration and insanity.

I was caught in a Traffic jam in Dallas and by chance I met a truck driver that I was in traffic with and I lamented how bad the traffic was. He told me that he'd do that 8 hours a day 7 days a week compared to Houston.
orphsmile.gif

Bugs I'm not fond of. But traffic jams don't bother me much. I just turn up the music and chill. It used to take me an hour to drive home 3 miles from work in LA!

May 26, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 30
hah,
my sister is moving out there too actually, her boyfriend got a new job out there and they are negotiating a house and stuff etc.

I've been to dallas/forthworth area a few years ago, coming from ny, that place is waaay different, lots of open spaces, strip malls, dry towns (no alcohol), guys walking around with cowboy hats, churches everywhere you look, gun racks haha...

Houston is supposed to be a great town though, best city out there i heard. It's hot as hell in texas, i like over 100 degrees during the summer usually, also you get really bad hail out there, bad enough to probablly hurt you and mess your car up.

May 26, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
also you get really bad hail out there, bad enough to probablly hurt you and mess your car up.

Arrrghhh! My greatest fear! I go crazy when I even hear the slightly "ding!" when a rainstorm starts in New Jersey. My beautiful new Civic!
frown.gif

But waaaay different is what I'm actually looking forward to. I'm so bored with life on the east coast. I know every inch of PA, NJ and NY, so I hope I feel like I'm in another world (at least a little). Glad to hear Houston is cool. It's big, so there's gotta be alot of stuff going on.

May 26, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #7 of 30
Houston is great if you love being indoors (it's too humid/hot to do much outside, especially during the 9 month long summers), but in it's favor it does have outstanding resaurants, especially if you like south american, middle eastern, or pacific rim food.

May 26, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Nice
smily_headphones1.gif
I just started work in Austin and the sky looks grey, heavy and wet!
plainface.gif

Welcome to Texas...if I may say so considering I only got here yesterday
tongue.gif

gs

Dude Guru, your job search ended in Austin? Welcome to A-Town! Where ya working?

Yes, the wather in may is rainy, and the summer will make you wish you never came here, but come fall, winter and spring, you'll love it here!

Austin is the coolest city in Texas, music everywhere. Grab an XLent (thursdays paper) and hit downtown! We should hang out sometime.

On the subject of the thread... Houston ugh... I'll be honest. My least favorite city in Texas. But on the bright side, it's only 3 hours away from Austin!
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 30
The area around Rice university is really lovely, lots of grass and live oak trees, the geography is very similar to southern Louisiana, where I'm from. I can't tell you what property values are there, but you can't beat it for charm.

May 26, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

I just accepted a job in Houston, Texas (Katy, Texas, actually). I've never even been to Texas before! Does anyone have any suggestion, thoughts, ideas, warnings about life in Houston?

learn how to line dance and pick up that "nine" you always wanted
evil_smiley.gif

May 27, 2005 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 30
If you're gonna be working in Katy, try to find a home along I-10. Property values generally decrease the further you get from the loops (610 and beltway 8) although there are plenty of exceptions.

Highway 6 and 290 area is where I grew up. Its about a 30-50 minute drive to Katy depending on the traffic (BUT it is against the rush hour flow, so traffic is generally not too bad). Eh, I cant give any kind of specific reccomendations because I always lived with my parents, but the area has plenty of growing communities and nice apartment complexes. Rent is cheap compared to the east or west coast and gas is cheap (I saw $1.89 today).

Houston is so big of a city, its near impossible to not find something you enjoy here.

That being said, Katy is pretty "country". I've been there often and enjoy it, but it is much more small town. Living in houston and commuting to katy would allow for more enjoyable living unless you like "country" living.

May 27, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #13 of 30
I think Houston is a pretty good city to live in. There are tons of different cultures everywhere you look and you might find more non-whites than whites lol. Houston gets pretty hot, but not too bad, what's bad is the humidity which brings the heat like 50degrees higher. The storms arent bad, in 8-10 yrs living here ive never been or seen a storm that would have hail that could damage a car let alone make a dent in the ground. I live in the nothside near 1960 (hw6) and 45 but have lived down south not too far from katy. Houston is very much a buyers market if you're looking for a house, you can have your pick of tons of willing sellers.

Good luck with the move

Ivan C.

May 27, 2005 at 1:43 AM Post #14 of 30
I just noticed that you said affordable rents (ie no house), most places here are cheap especially the further south you go. Ive lived in a few apartments in town, including one of the two nicest in my area and paid $1200 for a nice 3bdrm apartment, but further south we've paid $880 for the same.

-ivan

May 27, 2005 at 10:03 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
I've been to dallas/forthworth area a few years ago...

I couldn't wait to get out of the Dallas/Fort Worth area. It seems as if all the parking lots need repairing (they're all sinking). The people who repair roads and parking lots must be making a killing... But Dallas had these two great radio stations that I wish I could receive through the internet. I'd buy XAm (or whatever it's called just for those two radio stations).

Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang
It used to take me an hour to drive home 3 miles from work in LA!

Reminds me when I would walk across town rather than take the bus in NYC. An hour to go 3 miles? Buy a bike. You'll probably get there quicker than driving.
biggrin.gif
Open up this thread in the future and post your impressions; I'd be interested in reading your latest exploits.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back