Houston Head-Fi Meet #2 on October 17
Aug 26, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #181 of 201
Hey Orcin:

I am a long time Audiogoner and crazy audiophile (but musician first), but new to this site and the world of headphones.  So I wanted to attend one of these events.  Is there one planned for this year, 2010?  I can bring a Woo WA2 and an Ayre C5-xe CD/SACD/DVD-A player, and if you have not heard a DVD-A disc, then it is a world changer!  Thanks for any help you might provide!

Aug 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #182 of 201
Looking forward to getting out and meeting everyone.

Headphones:

AKG K701
Grado RS1
Grado RS2
Grado 325is

Amps:

Rockhopper M^3
Grado RA-1
Cambridge 840A

DAC:

Cambridge DAC-Magic

Source:

NAIM Uniti
Rega Apollo
iPod
Roth Cocoon
Rega P-2 turntable
Rega P-3 turntable

A ton of vinyl and whatever else I can borrow from the store. Please feel free to bring any vinyl you have that suits your taste.

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #183 of 201

Quote:
Hey Orcin:

I am a long time Audiogoner and crazy audiophile (but musician first), but new to this site and the world of headphones.  So I wanted to attend one of these events.  Is there one planned for this year, 2010?  I can bring a Woo WA2 and an Ayre C5-xe CD/SACD/DVD-A player, and if you have not heard a DVD-A disc, then it is a world changer!  Thanks for any help you might provide!

My work schedule is not going to allow me to organize a meet this year. Maybe someone else will step forward that could do it.

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #187 of 201

Quote:
My work schedule is not going to allow me to organize a meet this year. Maybe someone else will step forward that could do it.

That is a bummer Orcin.  I just moved to the Houston area and was looking forward to making this years meet.  I obviously don't know any place in the area to have a meet at as I just got here.  Do hope someone who has been in Houston for a while will have some ideas.

Aug 29, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #188 of 201

Quote:
That is a bummer Orcin.  I just moved to the Houston area and was looking forward to making this years meet.  I obviously don't know any place in the area to have a meet at as I just got here.  Do hope someone who has been in Houston for a while will have some ideas.

Don't go getting all misty eyed and all. I'll check with Ken (aka Orcin) and Shelly and perhaps we can have a modest little "mini meet" ... they both love throwing that term around anyhow and so now we get to hold them to it. :wink: Orcin, Shelly ... you know I love you. :wink: But really, lets do it. PM for more. And @ Kydsid ... will keep you updated. Welcome to H Town, yo.

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #189 of 201
Hey s1rrah:  I would be glad to help.  Sounds like there is some interest out there, even if it is relatively small.  Like I said, I am a crazy man audiophile (long time on Audiogon and amateur musician), but new to this forum and the headphone world.  But am very glad to assist and participate.  What is the typical venue? 

Maybe Guitar Center might be interested in hosting since they are the only sellers of headphones (that I know of) in the Houston area (Audio Concepts is no more and Modia carries some good home equipment but no headphones). 

Orcin, for us newbies, could you give us some assistance on proposed venues and other things we need to keep in mind?

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #190 of 201

Quote:
Hey s1rrah:  I would be glad to help.  Sounds like there is some interest out there, even if it is relatively small.  Like I said, I am a crazy man audiophile (long time on Audiogon and amateur musician), but new to this forum and the headphone world.  But am very glad to assist and participate.  What is the typical venue? 

Maybe Guitar Center might be interested in hosting since they are the only sellers of headphones (that I know of) in the Houston area (Audio Concepts is no more and Modia carries some good home equipment but no headphones). 

Orcin, for us newbies, could you give us some assistance on proposed venues and other things we need to keep in mind?

RE: "Mini meet" ???

That all depends on whether we can agree that it's something we want to do.

Re: Venue?

Most likely one of our homes. Expecting the attendance to be in the "3 or 4" area, I can't imagine any other sort of venue would be warranted. My house is always open but it would be crowded (I share with two others and we have a lot of "stuff"); again, more later. I expect to be hanging with Ken (Orcin) here in a bit and I'll also touch base with Shelly and so more later.

Best.

.joel

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:05 AM Post #191 of 201
Another venue idea is contacting a local library. We Dallas/Ft. Worth guys use a room at a library in Plano and it's perfect. No outside noise, plenty of room and power. I don't know if they charge for the room, but as a public library I'm guessing all you have to do is be the first to reserve it for the date and it's yours. Our room is big enough for probably 20-25 people to display a normal sized rig. They even supply the tables and chairs as well as a small food prep area with fridge/sink, etc.

Depending on the room it might be a bit overkill for 3-4 people, but check it out anyways. Would probably be easier overall than to try to fit all the gear into 1 person's home. I know Shelley will probably need a whole table just for her headphone collection, not to mention the rest of the gear!

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:25 PM Post #192 of 201
I would be interested so I too am excited to see what is in store. I guess you can make it "4 to 5"

I will keep my eyes open for more information let us know if there is something we can do to help out.

Sep 1, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #193 of 201
Please count me in as well. I have recently moved from Denver and would love to meet some local Head-Fiers. We have a house in West U so it could be a possible place for a mini-meet. On the other hand, I have 5 year old triplets so you would have to watch your step. Of course, I will have to check with my better half  
wink_face.gif

Sep 1, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #194 of 201
All:

I should have thought of it before.  I am part owner of a company in the 77036 zip code (about Gessner and Beechnut) that has a large office that we could use.  In the middle of the office is an open area that used to be used for cubicles.  They are permanent structures with a desk at each one, and a power outlet under each.  There are 14 of them next to each other with half walls between.  Plenty of room on each desk to put an amp, sources, media, cans, etc.  A couple of them are being used for printers but otherwise they are not being used.

Then there are some 14 offices, etc.  So plenty of room and power.  We can use it on a weekend or evening (probably after 5pm).  Likely no one would be here, and if they were, they would probably want to participate.

What do you think?

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #195 of 201
That's a great and generous offer. Count me in. My preference would be for a Saturday morning/afternoon, but I can be flexible

Quote:
All:

I should have thought of it before.  I am part owner of a company in the 77036 zip code (about Gessner and Beechnut) that has a large office that we could use.  In the middle of the office is an open area that used to be used for cubicles.  They are permanent structures with a desk at each one, and a power outlet under each.  There are 14 of them next to each other with half walls between.  Plenty of room on each desk to put an amp, sources, media, cans, etc.  A couple of them are being used for printers but otherwise they are not being used.

Then there are some 14 offices, etc.  So plenty of room and power.  We can use it on a weekend or evening (probably after 5pm).  Likely no one would be here, and if they were, they would probably want to participate.

What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back