Houston Head-Fi Meet 10/25/2008 Impressions
Oct 24, 2008 at 1:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 108

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm starting this thread for our impressions from the meet. We will have a great selection of gear, and some unique pieces to comment on. We will probably begin to fill this thread up on Sunday and Monday, but I will try to sneak some pics in on Saturday night if I get home in time.

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 108
Meet wrap-up:

Door prizes were won by:
Grover SC interconnects - Orcin
Woo Audio headphone stand - Sunbyrne
S2 Audio custom headphone stand - linak99
Virtual Dynamics Power3 power cable - kydsid
Iron Lung Jellyfish power cable - shellylh

Orcin's best of show awards:

Most Complete & Awesome Headphone Collection: shellylh
Best Computer Rig: s1rrah (this wasn't even close)
Best Vinyl Rig: swt61 unopposed
Best Fire: luvdunhill (and it wasn't even his rig)
Best Snacks: who brought the sausage and cheese? man, that was good!
Smartest Guy In The Room: wareagle69 for bringing a dolly to wheel his gear in and out

and the best rig at the show (my personal opinion only) goes to pabbi1 and luvdunhill for either of the Blue Hawaii or KGSS electrostatic setups, take your pick.

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 108
/me waiting for pictures and impressions!
biggrin.gif

..and first of all for the meeting to take place...

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 108
Live blogging from the event as it proceeds. Wow there is a lot of gear here. More electrostats than I know what to do with.

Here is some pictures.

shellystablesmallbm3.jpg

Shot with N95 at 2008-10-25

ooosmallzz8.jpg

electrotable2smalltw3.jpg

electrotable1smallvy9.jpg

Oct 25, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 108
So you sit down to listen to your B22 from the balanced half. Then someone plugs in a dynamic on the other side and you see flames! Not good. What to do. Well if the guy that plugged in the dynamics is Mark not only can he fix it but he'll look for parts during the meet
atsmile.gif

fixingwhatbrokepf9.jpg

Oct 25, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 108
Seems like you have lots of nice rigs around there.
...a lot of them being electrostatics.
lambda.gif

Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #10 of 108
Great meeting/seeing all of you!!

Here's the three main and most valuable things I took from today's get together:

1. My amp/DAC combo sounds nearly as good as some of the much more expensive setups; the differences were certainly there ... but among the standard amp types (the Woo amps, etc.) I had to nitpick to really hear it ... therefore, I'm not going to be upgrading my AMP/DAC any time soon. As an aside, the Stello HP100 and the Headamp GS-1, to my ear anyway ... are nearly identical in character. If your considering either or both ... save your self a few hundred and get the Stello HP100 (Orcin concurs).

2. I love my RS1's, but there are some other cans that I liked equally but that have a totally different sound; this will most likely be my next upgrade/spending path ... headphones that is. The one's I most liked? Senn HD650 (recabled), were fantastic! The AKG 701's were astonishing with certain types of music (jazz/classical/chamber), and I was utterly enthralled by the very different but oh so nice sound of an old pair of Fostex T50 orthodynamics ...

3. I absolutely love Stax/electrostatic! Really. I've not been so blown away as I was listening to one of the more expensive Stax systems that was there. Utterly amazing. Next time I've got a few thousand laying around ... I'll get one.

smily_headphones1.gif

Again. Great great fun.

Here's my pics:

meet2.jpg

meet3.jpg

meet4.jpg

meet5.jpg

meet6.jpg

meet7.jpg

meet8.jpg

meet9.jpg

meet10.jpg

meet11.jpg

meet12.jpg

meet13.jpg

meet14.jpg

meet1.jpg

meet16.jpg

meet17.jpg

meet18.jpg

meet19.jpg

meet20.jpg

meet21.jpg

A very fine and rewarding 6 hours to be sure.

:thumb:

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 108
OK, I did not sign up before the anouncement that no more people can attend. I am pretty sure you guys had a good time and probably also won a nice door prize.

I have only one question: Where in Houston can I find those fantastic gears you brought to the meet? I want be able to try them out in stores since the next meet in Houston like this could be years away.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #12 of 108
Wow! I wish we could get all that equipment here.

Someone tell me how the 840c sounds with the tube amp & stats (HE60). Bass in particular and is there any sheen to the sound in the upper mids? If at all possible, match the Woo GES to the 840.

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:33 AM Post #13 of 108
BTW ...

Just another side note ...

Shelly *without a doubt* had the funnest and most intriguing headphone collection of any person at the meet.

Seriously ...

I had to forcibly stop myself from jumping up on her demo table so as to roll around in them.

LMAO.

meet8.jpg

<sigh>

So much more money to spend.

wink.gif

Good show, sista!

smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #14 of 108
Great looking meet, guys.

statampkq9.jpg

What 'stat amp is that, Blue Hawaii?

wooampym9.jpg

How about some impressions of various 'stats on different 'stat amps like Woo and the tubed one above? I even see the HE Audio 'stat there and Koss..

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 108
Oh its a blue hawaii allright. And it was amazing!

As for the 840c, i own one in my reference stereo speaker rig. It doesn't dissapoint there and it didnt dissapoint here either.

As for the Stax they were amazing sounding. I don't think I had enough time with them to give specifics. I have to say though that the Koss elctrostatic sounded AMAZING once Mark upped the voltage on his amp. It was absolutely awe inspiring how they loved the voltage and sounded that much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back