Houston Head-Fi Meet #1 on October 25
Oct 24, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #211 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will the poor little unbalanced dynamics folks still be allowed in the clubhouse?!?
beyersmile.png

Since I have the key, YES!
wink.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #212 of 239
I have a question about setups at the meet and I was hoping those more knowledgeable than I could help me out!

Usually, I have my SP Extreme and GS-1 hooked up to my Stello DA100 DAC + Rotel 961 CD player (transport) through a Mapletree Line Router. My "other" setup is Oppo 970 -> X-can v3 (little pinkie power supply). I was trying to figure out what was the best setup for the meet given that: (1) the Rotel source is better than the Oppo (IMO), (2) The X-can v3 and Gs-1 both have loop outs.

Here are some options:

1) keep same setup as above

2) keep same as above except use oppo as transport for stello and rotel as source for X-can

[Since the Rotel is a better source and plays HCDCs, this may be a better option. I think the Oppo will be an ok transport although Stereophile claims that it has a lot of jitter - I think that won't matter with the Stello DA100 though].

3) Rotel transport -> Stello DA100 -> GS -1 --loop out--> X-Can --loop out--> SP Extreme (and leave Oppo at home: I am not actually sure that anyone at the meet would be interested in the Oppo since it is a low budget source. Also could leave the Line Router at home.)

[In theory, this is a good solution. This would allow the source to play through all three amps at once allowing several people to listen at once. The problem is that I am pretty sure daisy chaining like this would lead to sound degradation! Can someone tell me if this is true?]

4) i) oppo or rotel as transport -> stello -> GS-1 --loop out--> SP Extreme
ii) oppo or rotel (whatever is not used in (i)) -> X-can

[This is like the first or second setup but uses the loop out in the GS-1 so that one could listen to the SP Extreme and GS-1 simultaneously.]

In the perfect world, I would have more than one good source but....

One more question: I was hoping to not have to bring my laptop. However, I was also planning to bring my office setup: Fubar DAC + Cute Beyond headphone amp. However, I just realized that the Fubar only has USB input so I need to have a computer. Is anyone interested in hearing this combo? If so I can bring my laptop. I just don't want to bring a bunch of gear that nobody will interested in listen to (or have time to listen to). Since there will be so many great electrostatic/balanced and unbalanced dynamic amps I feel that it would be a waste to bring things like Fubar/Cute Beyond, X-can, and Oppo. That is my feeling. What do you think?

Thanks for the help.

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #213 of 239
Quote:

I have a question about setups at the meet and I was hoping those more knowledgeable than I could help me out!

Usually, I have my SP Extreme and GS-1 hooked up to my Stello DA100 DAC + Rotel 961 CD player (transport) through a Mapletree Line Router. My "other" setup is Oppo 970 -> X-can v3 (little pinkie power supply). I was trying to figure out what was the best setup for the meet given that: (1) the Rotel source is better than the Oppo (IMO), (2) The X-can v3 and Gs-1 both have loop outs.

Here are some options:

1) keep same setup as above

2) keep same as above except use oppo as transport for stello and rotel as source for X-can

[Since the Rotel is a better source and plays HCDCs, this may be a better option. I think the Oppo will be an ok transport although Stereophile claims that it has a lot of jitter - I think that won't matter with the Stello DA100 though].

3) Rotel transport -> Stello DA100 -> GS -1 --loop out--> X-Can --loop out--> SP Extreme (and leave Oppo at home: I am not actually sure that anyone at the meet would be interested in the Oppo since it is a low budget source. Also could leave the Line Router at home.)

[In theory, this is a good solution. This would allow the source to play through all three amps at once allowing several people to listen at once. The problem is that I am pretty sure daisy chaining like this would lead to sound degradation! Can someone tell me if this is true?]

4) i) oppo or rotel as transport -> stello -> GS-1 --loop out--> SP Extreme
ii) oppo or rotel (whatever is not used in (i)) -> X-can

[This is like the first or second setup but uses the loop out in the GS-1 so that one could listen to the SP Extreme and GS-1 simultaneously.]

In the perfect world, I would have more than one good source but....

One more question: I was hoping to not have to bring my laptop. However, I was also planning to bring my office setup: Fubar DAC + Cute Beyond headphone amp. However, I just realized that the Fubar only has USB input so I need to have a computer. Is anyone interested in hearing this combo? If so I can bring my laptop. I just don't want to bring a bunch of gear that nobody will interested in listen to (or have time to listen to). Since there will be so many great electrostatic/balanced and unbalanced dynamic amps I feel that it would be a waste to bring things like Fubar/Cute Beyond, X-can, and Oppo. That is my feeling. What do you think?

Thanks for the help.

Can't really comment on your "daisy chaining" dilemma ... though I'd lean towards thinking it would "technically" degrade the signal a bit (the same way that lengthening your standard RCA IC is supposed to degrade the signal I guess) ...

That said ...

Keep in mind, I will have a spare paradisea+ DAC on hand that has not officially been grabbed for any loanage/usage ... so if you need it for the meet then let me know before someone else grabs it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Best.

.joel

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #214 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't really comment on your "daisy chaining" dilemma ... though I'd lean towards thinking it would "technically" degrade the signal a bit (the same way that lengthening your standard RCA IC is supposed to degrade the signal I guess) ...

That said ...

Keep in mind, I will have a spare paradisea+ DAC on hand that has not officially been grabbed for any loanage/usage ... so if you need it for the meet then let me know before someone else grabs it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Best.

.joel

I would love to hook it up to my GS-1 if someone else doesn't need it. I guess we will have a lot more amps than sources because of all the Woo amps.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #215 of 239
Quote:

I would love to hook it up to my GS-1 if someone else doesn't need it. I guess we will have a lot more amps than sources because of all the Woo amps.

Not a problem.

See you all tomorrow.

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #216 of 239
Sadly I can't make it to the meet as I have another meet to attend to this weekend, but I am sending another Sennheiser cable with Al to the meet for everyone. The single ended cable is the same V3 cable that has under gone a top secret treatment. The cable will need to be burned in and I hope Al gets a few hours on it.

Either way I hope everyone has fun this weekend and take pics. I want to see what I miss.

Thanks,
Alex

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #217 of 239
Everytime I read about more gear, all I can think about is that I don't have enough tables!
confused_face.gif

Shelly, I agree with you on the Fubar/Cute Beyond. I think we will be primarily focused on the dynamic amp & headphone comparisons, the electrostatic shootout, and Steve's turntable. Bring all those phones though!!
icon10.gif

I would LOVE to hear the GS-1 with Joel's Paradisea. I was going to try to convince you to let me do this comparison somehow anyway. We are planning to hook the WA6SE up to the Havana DAC, and I will use the WA6 with my Paradisea. We also have MJM58's Paradisea hooked to his CIAudio amp, so we have MHDT Labs covered.

As far as the sources are concerned, I think the most impressive setup would be your normal Rotel to Stello DA100 to Extreme. Therefore, I would bring the Oppo to pair with the X-Can, and I am curious about the Oppo anyway.

Arrgh, I need more tables.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #218 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by [AK]Zip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sadly I can't make it to the meet as I have another meet to attend to this weekend, but I am sending another Sennheiser cable with Al to the meet for everyone. The single ended cable is the same V3 cable that has under gone a top secret treatment. The cable will need to be burned in and I hope Al gets a few hours on it.

Either way I hope everyone has fun this weekend and take pics. I want to see what I miss.

Thanks,
Alex

Thanks a lot! I look forward to hearing this as I am overdue for an upgraded Senn cable and the V3 was on my list.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #219 of 239
Oct 24, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #220 of 239
The clubhouse is exactly where the pin shows it. It is at the south end of Brightwater Drive, near Cartwright Road. The tennis courts and parking lot are both right there.

My directions outbound from town:

- take 59 South to Hwy. 90A exit
- turn left/east on Hwy 90A (Main St.)
- turn right/south on Dulles Ave.

Note: Dulles Ave. is also Kirkwood Drive, the name changes at Main St.
If you are taking Main St. out from town, turn left/south on Dulles Ave. and continue with the same directions.

- turn left on Lexington Blvd.
- turn right on Brightwater Drive
- follow Brightwater Dr. until lake ends
- clubhouse is on the right

Feel free to call my cell phone if you need more.

P.S. I recommend to avoid FM1092/Murphy Road. The construction is a mess.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #222 of 239
Ok, no fubarII/cute beyond

I will bring all my cans.

I may bring my laptop to use as a transport for Joel's paradisea+ -> GS-1 unless anyone can think of anything better (I don't really have very much lossless music on it so...). I could always bring the oppo dv980 I have hooked up to my tv for a transport. Anyone have any better ideas? Edit: I think I will just bring an extra toshiba dvd player for a transport. It will be easier than unplugging the Oppo 980 from the tv setup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everytime I read about more gear, all I can think about is that I don't have enough tables!
confused_face.gif

Shelly, I agree with you on the Fubar/Cute Beyond. I think we will be primarily focused on the dynamic amp & headphone comparisons, the electrostatic shootout, and Steve's turntable. Bring all those phones though!!
icon10.gif

I would LOVE to hear the GS-1 with Joel's Paradisea. I was going to try to convince you to let me do this comparison somehow anyway. We are planning to hook the WA6SE up to the Havana DAC, and I will use the WA6 with my Paradisea. We also have MJM58's Paradisea hooked to his CIAudio amp, so we have MHDT Labs covered.

As far as the sources are concerned, I think the most impressive setup would be your normal Rotel to Stello DA100 to Extreme. Therefore, I would bring the Oppo to pair with the X-Can, and I am curious about the Oppo anyway.

Arrgh, I need more tables.
biggrin.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #223 of 239
Not to give Orcin more headaches but I just got a surprise, sort of, from the UPS guy.

I have been looking for a dac to make my sony ce595 a transport. I haven't decided but I guess some friends of mine have sent some early housewarming gifts.

One friend sent a KingsRex USB DAC to me last week. Nice portable DAC if you ask me.

Anyways this was at the door today.

10242008455qc6.jpg

Wonder what it is???

Well looks like its Chinese.

10242008457vb6.jpg

Ahh a Musiland MD10 Dac

10242008458qa5.jpg

Thought I had read about this somewhere so I searched the forums. Not a bad Dac. Although looks like someone I will see tomorrow didn't like it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway I set it all up. Laptop to Dac to Mapletree Audio HD Ear+ to SR 225's. I would have more but I did just move and most things are in storage
wink.gif

The hotel listening room.

10242008459sp9.jpg

First experience with the Musiland is.......well as a USB DAC it's borked. Don't have a mini optical to use, someone said they would bring one tomorrow. I guess I will find out tomorrow if it works at all.

BTW went back to the KingsRex. You know for a $200 DAC I am impressed.

Oct 25, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #224 of 239
No problems now... I stole some tables from my office... so bring on that big rig, kydsid.
biggrin.gif

I noticed on the way home that the exit sign for Highway 90 off 59 is partially damaged. It doesn't say Hwy. 90 anymore, it just says Sugar Land / Stafford. The exit is the one after Airport Blvd. / Kirkwood, and the Fountains shopping center is right at the exit.

Yes, coming from Austin, 290 to 8 to 59 is the best way.

You know what's really great? Here we are trying to decide what to bring to a HOUSTON HEAD-FI MEET! Woohoo!
beerchug.gif

Oct 25, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #225 of 239
<sigh> Well, I am onsite, and _was_ burning in Alex's SE v3 with a complete POS dvd (which, btw, scorched Alex's DAC a few years ago)... anyhoo, it crapped out on the 3rd song, and will no longer read discs at all. It has been relegated to the trash, once and for all.

To wit, I need a _modest_ CDP/DVD to hook up to the SOHA II, or it will have to share with the balanced Millett/OPUS... decisions, decisions. It also means that Alex's cable will get a few hours less burn... always something.

Be there at @9 tomorrow - while I thought I was staying in Sugarland, it is more like Sharpstown, so we'll see if the car, much less the equiptment, makes the night.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back