Houston Head-Fi Meet #1 on October 25
Aug 30, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #61 of 239
ahem.... so, is there enough room for a small speaker system? or maybe room in a certain person's trunk for a certain pair of speakers cabs ...
icon10.gif

I have some business to conduct in Houston, so I may very well come. Perhaps I can fix pabbi1's Blue Hawaii by then, assuming he drops it off at the Austin mini-meet.

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #62 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ahem.... so, is there enough room for a small speaker system?

To be honest, I don't know. I never considered speaker systems in the layout. Wouldn't it be difficult to hear and evaluate the headphone systems if there were speakers playing music in the room?

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #63 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To be honest, I don't know. I never considered speaker systems in the layout. Wouldn't it be difficult to hear and evaluate the headphone systems if there were speakers playing music in the room?

I completely understand Orcin's comment on this question ...

But then again ...

I'm also totally curious about speaker systems.

wink.gif

So why not designate a specific 20 min to 30 min time frame for speaker demoing? Within which, of course, no headphone demo action would be expected?

Of course, this is to say that the speaker demo would occupy a very "backseat" role to the many headphones present ... but within it's appointed time frame ... it could still be very interesting to hear a set of high quality speakers.

Friends of mine on Head-fi who attended the last "Can Jam" were ranting and raving about certain speaker set ups they heard there ... so, obviously ... the loudspeaker/headphone conundrum can be gracefully achieved ...

I vote inclusion ... with specified listening times, etc. ... in a way that does not subtract from the more expected tack towards headphone listening.

redface.gif

Yes ... I'm planning on building a sick ass speaker setup someday ...

L3000.gif

Aug 30, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #64 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So why not designate a specific 20 min to 30 min time frame for speaker demoing? Within which, of course, no headphone demo action would be expected?

This works for me. IEM's would probably still be usable during this period anyway, so portables could also be demo'ed while this is going on.

Also, the more I think about it, there should be room for speakers somewhere in the area we have. So bring them on.
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #65 of 239
luvdunhill wasn't really asking for a place to set up the speakers, it was more of a nudge for me to finish building the cabinets for them.
biggrin.gif

Marc I ordered a set of router bushings the other day that will make it much easier to flush the drivers. That should help, also the end of the hot weather will be a big bonus, as my shop is not air conditioned.

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #66 of 239
We have five confirmed attendees with some great gear (well ok... actually four people with great gear plus me
wink_face.gif
). How about a few more? Anyone else want to confirm their attendance and pay their $15 admission in advance? Need table space for your massive collection? If so, please PM me for payment details.

Thanks again for all the interest and support. This will be the first event of its kind in Houston as far as I know... and it will be a lot of fun!

(Plus there will be giveaways!
beerchug.gif
Details on that to follow in the next few days.)

Sep 4, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #67 of 239
Sounds awesome guys. Hopefully I will have enough funds to afford the trip (wish i could teleport
biggrin.gif
)

I will be bring a sony sacd/cd player, zero dac, headphones and a awesome stand by swt61
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #68 of 239
15 bucks cover, to demo some really outstanding gear, is a pittance!

(And I mean for those of us already living in Houston)

Our Austin brethren have another task altogether to deal with ... GAS prices.

Hope you all make it, too!

If any Austin folks need a 10 to 20 dollar gas bump, just give me a PM and I'll PayPal you some love.

wink.gif

<Seriously>

The more at the meet, the merrier!

So make some plans now!

dt880smile.png

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #69 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
luvdunhill wasn't really asking for a place to set up the speakers, it was more of a nudge for me to finish building the cabinets for them.
biggrin.gif

it was all on good fun.. I have plenty of work on my end as well
smily_headphones1.gif

On a more serious note, I have general clearance to go to this meet from the higher-ups. I may have to come and go though, as I have some business I need to conduct in Houston as well.

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #70 of 239
Cool! Looks like we are going to have a lot of nice gear and participants.

Now I just have to decide what music to bring (always the most important and difficult decision)!!!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it was all on good fun.. I have plenty of work on my end as well
smily_headphones1.gif

On a more serious note, I have general clearance to go to this meet from the higher-ups. I may have to come and go though, as I have some business I need to conduct in Houston as well.

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #71 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! Looks like we are going to have a lot of nice gear and participants.

Now I just have to decide what music to bring (always the most important and difficult decision)!!!
biggrin.gif

Just bring all your headphones.

I want to try them all.

wink.gif

Seriously ... I've been such an RS1 freak for the past year, I haven't even thought about other cans.

The ATH cans intrigue me ... design wise only at this point; they are pretty headphones ... but I'd like to hear yours (or anybodies) if they be present.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #72 of 239
Quote:

I want to try them all.

wink.gif

Seriously ... I've been such an RS1 freak for the past year, I haven't even thought about other cans.

The ATH cans intrigue me ... design wise only at this point; they are pretty headphones ... but I'd like to hear yours (or anybodies) if they be present.

i have the at 500's and well they do sound pretty good and they are comfortable, the only thing i CANNOT stand is them microphonics on them. I think I have a bad pair because if I move at all you can hear it, and it drives me nuts
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #73 of 239
I went a little crazy buying headphones this year. I really need to get rid of a few pairs but I think I will wait until after the meet to sell them just to be nice.
bigsmile_face.gif

I really like the AD2000s. They have a very open and airy sound and have a nice punchy but non-bloated bass. You will have to wait and judge for yourself in October!

Quote:

I want to try them all.

wink.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:47 AM Post #74 of 239
I really want to try out the denon 2000's, will anyone be bringing those badboys along?

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #75 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went a little crazy buying headphones this year. I really need to get rid of a few pairs but I think I will wait until after the meet to sell them just to be nice.
bigsmile_face.gif

or maybe you could sell some AT the meet...
wink.gif

So if you could only keep one pair of your headphones for serious listening, which would it be? And which combination of your hardware would you choose to fill out the system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back