Houston Head-Fi Meet #1 on October 25
Jul 28, 2008 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 239

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
When and where:
Date: October 25.
Location: Lakes Of Brightwater Clubhouse, 2410 Brightwater Drive, Missouri City, TX 77459
Time: 10AM-6PM.
Admission fee: $15 in advance or $20 at the door
Facility full - Admissions closed

Door Prizes:
Woo Audio HPS-T headphone stand (courtesy of Woo Audio)
Grover Cable custom RCA interconnects (courtesy of Grover Cable)
S2 Audio custom Headphone Stand pic (courtesy of swt61)
Iron Lung Jellyfish power cable (courtesy of s1rrah)
Virtual Dynamics Power 3 power cable (courtesy of shellylh)

Please remember:
1) No alcohol, smoking, or red beverages are allowed.
2) Please come with a clean head and ears.
wink.gif

3) Bring your own power strips, power conditioners, extension cords, etc.
4) Label your gear – a piece of masking tape with your name can prevent mixups.
5) BRING YOUR CAMERA AND TAKE PICS
6) Take notes and post your impressions.

PM Orcin if you need a list of hotels, directions, or have other questions.

Attending:
Orcin
s1rrah
Shellylh
wareagle69
swt61
SunByrne
pabbi1
luvdunhill
linak99
kydsid
MJM58
Gollie

Snack Patrol:
Orcin
swt61
kydsid
s1rrah
wareagle69

Cleanup Crew:
Orcin
swt61
kydsid
shelleylh
(no dinner until your room is cleaned up!
biggrin.gif
)

Gear List (partial):

Headphones:
AKG K240 Sextett
AKG K271
AKG K340
AKG K701
Audio-Technica AD2000
Audio-Technica A700
Audio-Technica A900LTD
Beyer DT770/80 (Darth Beyers w/ Blackmax cable)
Denon D1001
Denon D2000
Denon MD2000 (woodied and APS recabled)
Grado RS1
Grado SR225 (woodied and recabled)
Koss ESP-950
Sennheiser HD25-1
Sennheiser HD280
Sennheiser HD555
Sennheiser HD580 w/ APS mods
Sennheiser HD580 woodied w/ 650 cable
Sennheiser HD595
Sennheiser HD600 x2
Sennheiser HD650
Sennheiser HD650 w/ Blue Dragon cable
Sennheiser HE60
Sony CD3000 (modded)
Sony SA5000
Stax Lambda Nova
Stax SR-007mkI
Stax SR-303
Ultrasone HFI-780

Amplifiers:
Balanced Bijou
Balanced MillettMax with OPUS DAC
Beta22 balanced w/ stepped
Blue Hawaii
CIAudio VHP2/VH1
Darkvoice 336i
Gilmore KGSS
Headamp GS-1
Headroom Desktop Home
Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD
Musical Fidelity X-Can V3
Singlepower PPX3-6SN7
Singlepower MPX3 Slam SE
Singlepower SP Extreme
Stax SRM-313
Stello HP100
Woo Audio 6
Woo Audio 6 SE maxed w/ Sophia Princess

DACs:
Beresford TC-7510 MK6/3
Firestone FUBAR II
Headroom Home DAC
MHDT Havana
MHDT Labs Paradisea+ (x3 with different tube/opamp setups)
Museatex Bitstream DAC
Stello DA100
Twisted Pear balanced Buffalo DAC

Other Sources:
Arcam FMJ 33T CD
Auzentech Prelude soundcard
Cambridge Azur 840C CD
Muse Model 9 CD/DVD
Oppo DV970 SACD
Rotel RCD961 CD
Sony CE595 SACD
Thorens TD160 or Yamaha PF800 or swt61’s custom turntable

Cables:
Seriously waaaaaay too many to mention

Portable Headphones:
AKG K26P
Audio-Technica ANC7
Audio-Technica CM5
Audio-Technica ES7
Etymotic ER4S
Future Sonics Atrio M5
JAYS q-JAYS
JBL Reference 220
Koss KSC35
Koss KSC75 (unmodded)
Sennheiser CX300
Sennheiser PX200
Sennheiser MX75
Sennheiser MX400
Sony MDR-E888
Ultimate Ears super-fi 5 pro
Westone UM2

Portable Amplifiers:
Firestone Cute Beyond
Headsave Classic
Headsave Pimeta
RSA Hornet
RSA Predator

Portable Sources:
Creative Zen Vision
iPod Classic 160GB
iPod Touch 32GB

If you see something that belongs to you that I have mis-classified, or overlooked, or that you don't plan to bring, please PM me with corrections. I know I haven't properly described all of the mods but there will be plenty of time at the meet for you to educate me.
biggrin.gif
I'm still trying to figure out what some of this stuff means.

Original post: (provided for reference but now seriously out-of-date)
I would like to gauge interest in a Houston mini-meet. There have been a few posts about the potential for a meet here, but nothing has happened yet. I know there are a few local posters, so maybe we could get together for something small and informal to start the ball rolling. Dallas has meets, and Austin is having a meet in September. We Houstonians don't want to be behind them, do we? Of course not!

I am proposing October 25 as the date, allowing time to get an idea of how many people would be interested and then determine a venue. Also, very selfishly, it is a good date for me as I can devote some time to it around then. If it is small, we could have it at someone's house - mine would be a possibility for a very small group (6-10).

I am defining "mini-meet" as several people getting together somewhere for several hours, maybe have pizza, snacks, beer/soft drinks, and listen to each other's gear. (Now all you experienced people stop laughing and be nice, we are newbies here.) We cobble together whatever power conditioners and surge protectors we have, but don't expect anything fancy unless you bring it.

If it grows beyond that... fine, but somebody probably, no definitely, has to help me. I have zero experience with meets, and I have never been to a meet. So if there is someone experienced who could step up to organize something bigger properly, then I would gladly help them as long as the date is ok.

At this time, please just post if you have interest in a mini-meet on this date, what kind of gear you might bring, and if you have a venue that would accommodate what I have described.

Jul 28, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #2 of 239
I'd like to participate. I can't contribute as much as some, but I could bring my portable stuff: Cowon D2, 5G iPod (if I get it up and running again), whatever amp I buy in the next few weeks, ATH ESW9, HFI 780, probably some Grado... I haven't decided yet.

Jul 28, 2008 at 5:33 PM Post #3 of 239
Count me in, Orcin.

Thanks for throwing this out for consideration.

What I can bring:

Paradisea Tube DAC (with three tube types)

Stello HP100 Headphone Amplifier
CIAudio VHP2 Headphone Amplifier
CIAudio VH1 Power Supply (mates with VHP2)

Grado RS1's
Woodied & Recabled Grado SR225's

Zu Oxyfuel RCA interconnect
Audio Arts IC-3 RCA interconnect
Zu "Firemine" digital coax
Cryotweaks Pure silver digital coax

Belkin Pure A/V 10 port power strip/filter
3 decent APC six port power blocks
One or two plain extension cords

Irun Lung Jellyfish power cord
Zu Birth power cord

(and whatever else I end up buying before the meet!)

wink.gif

I would hope that somebody has a computer source that we could use.

Theoretically, I could bring my desktop but it's GIANT. Given the right amount of preparatoin time, though ... it might be nice to have on hand as it has USB output/Digital Coax and Optical output (as well as a respectable library of lossless files).

Anyway ...

Thanks again for the invite, Orcin ... hope we can pull something off.

Best.

.joel

PS: Where's some info on the Austin meet? I'd like to hit that one as well.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #4 of 239
<BUMP>

C'mon already ...

Aren't there more Houston head-fiers interested in organizing a meet!!??

We're like the "Uncharted Territory" in regards to regular meets, afterall!

So c'mon with some posts, yo!

I'm so sick of my other (more North/Northeast) bros getting to attend meets!

Even if it's just a few of us ... it should be worthwhile.

dt880smile.png

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 239
I would be interested in attending depending on where it was held in Houston and as long as I didn't have to go out of town for work. I could bring most or all of the stuff in my signature/profile unless I sell something before that time.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would be interested in attending depending on where it was held in Houston and as long as I didn't have to go out of town for work. I could bring most or all of the stuff in my signature/profile unless I sell something before that time.

I for one would *LOVE* to compare your Stello DA100 DAC to my Paradisea+ DAC, especially when in line with my beloved Stello HP100 amplifier!.

So lets make this happen ...

Even if it's a few of us, I think it a fine hat-tip to Head-fi.org and our own desire to make the "local scene" a better, more accurate and informed "thing!".

More friendly bumpage!

wink.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #7 of 239
I have heard great things about the Stello DA100/HP100 combo. I would also be very interesting in hearing the Paradisea and comparing the RS-1 to my AT AD2000!

Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one would *LOVE* to compare your Stello DA100 DAC to my Paradisea+ DAC, especially when in line with my beloved Stello HP100 amplifier!.

So lets make this happen ...

Even if it's a few of us, I think it a fine hat-tip to Head-fi.org and our own desire to make the "local scene" a better, more accurate and informed "thing!".

More friendly bumpage!

wink.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #8 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard great things about the Stello DA100/HP100 combo. I would also be very interesting in hearing the Paradisea and comparing the RS-1 to my AT AD2000!

Alright Orcin ...

Seems we've got, at least, a couple local interests responding so far!

FYI!!

beyersmile.png

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 239
Yes, this will definitely happen even if it is just us. I hope Shelly can make this also. She has a lot of great gear in that sig. Looks like I'll have to buy the pizza and beer to hold up my end.
smile.gif

Let's go, Houstonians... there have to be a few more of you out there.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, this will definitely happen even if it is just us. I hope Shelly can make this also. She has a lot of great gear in that sig. Looks like I'll have to buy the pizza and beer to hold up my end.
smile.gif

Let's go, Houstonians... there have to be a few more of you out there.

Just noticed her GS-1 as well (!!) This was a competitor to my Stello amp back when I bought it but I couldn't get one in my time frame.

Would love to give it a listen ...

wink.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #11 of 239
It may be useful to send some PMs to local Houstonians and other people that may come. I would be happy to do this if it has not been done already. I will probably not be able to send PMs until tonight though.

If someone else wants to do this, just let me know so that I don't also send a PM.

To find the local Houstonians, one could do a search through the Austin/Dallas meets. Also using google search may do the trick (search for "Houston site:head-fi.org).

Here are some threads to look for potential attendees:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/houston-meet-326347/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/houston-meet-221142/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/ho...llaire-239166/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f24/20...s-meet-117925/

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #12 of 239
Shelly,

I think it would be great if you could send some PM's. Please do! If I can help, let me know. I did send one PM already to another member, but if you duplicated that it shouldn't be a problem.

One reason I wanted to start planning so early is to not feel rushed, so don't worry about how quickly you could do it.

Joel: Yes, the GS-1 is on my wish list too. The wait time has been long but seems to be improving recently.

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shelly,

I think it would be great if you could send some PM's. Please do! If I can help, let me know. I did send one PM already to another member, but if you duplicated that it shouldn't be a problem.

One reason I wanted to start planning so early is to not feel rushed, so don't worry about how quickly you could do it.

Joel: Yes, the GS-1 is on my wish list too. The wait time has been long but seems to be improving recently.

I just got my GS-1 after waiting for 7 months! The reason the wait was so long is because Justin had to wait on the enclosures. The turn around time seems to be shortening now that Justin has the enclosures. It is really sweet and worth the wait!

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 239
I know we haven't ironed out a specific meeting place yet but just wanted to get this out early:

I'm going to want to bring my complete desktop computer as a primary source to demo my gear. Main reason is that it is my main regular source and will allow quick and seamless oppurtunity to demo a variety of cables, from coaxials to RCA's and even optical (although I'm really not much into the optical option). Also, 90% of my listening material is in .mp3/.flac format.

What this means is that I'll need a decent sized desktop area to setup ... one end of a kitchen/dining room table, spare desk, etc.

Although I've expressed a bit of reservation already (via PM to Orcin), in a pinch and as a last resort, my house could host a small gathering (five to seven person max) as well.

Course, this means I'd have to clean and everything, rearrange about a ton of telescope/astronomy stuff and probably have the carpet cleaned so if we can avoid it, please, lets.
wink.gif

Otherwise ... bringing my computer as a source won't be that big of a deal, allowing for the required space and about thirty minutes setup time. I, of course, will have all necessary power cables, surge protectors, etc. necessary for the desktop rig setup (as well as more for the meet in general, if needed).

Just wanted to get it out that this would be my preferred source for the meet in order that any complications might be addressed adequately.

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 239
I just sent a few PMs and I will send some more tonight.

By the way, I could *possibly* host the event at my house. I haven't talked to my partner about it and I am not sure what he would say. However, it is an option that is out there. I want to wait and see how many people will be there before I bring it up though.

In any event, I am almost 100% sure now that I will be in town at this point since I will be out of town the weekend before.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know we haven't ironed out a specific meeting place yet but just wanted to get this out early:

I'm going to want to bring my complete desktop computer as a primary source to demo my gear. Main reason is that it is my main regular source and will allow quick and seamless oppurtunity to demo a variety of cables, from coaxials to RCA's and even optical (although I'm really not much into the optical option). Also, 90% of my listening material is in .mp3/.flac format.

What this means is that I'll need a decent sized desktop area to setup ... one end of a kitchen/dining room table, spare desk, etc.

Although I've expressed a bit of reservation already (via PM to Orcin), in a pinch and as a last resort, my house could host a small gathering (five to seven person max) as well.

Course, this means I'd have to clean and everything, rearrange about a ton of telescope/astronomy stuff and probably have the carpet cleaned so if we can avoid it, please, lets.
wink.gif

Otherwise ... bringing my computer as a source won't be that big of a deal, allowing for the required space and about thirty minutes setup time. I, of course, will have all necessary power cables, surge protectors, etc. necessary for the desktop rig setup (as well as more for the meet in general, if needed).

Just wanted to get it out that this would be my preferred source for the meet in order that any complications might be addressed adequately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back