Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
May 30, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #796 of 2,194
Replaced the opamp with the LM4562 today. Thanks for the guide! I just need to order and replace the capacitor next.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #798 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
woah DigiKey is charging me 37us (really expensive shipping and service fee) for one LM4562
blink.gif

Order samples from National. They sent me 3 for the cost of shipping (around $10 USD).

May 30, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #801 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auzen X-FI Prelude 7.1 PICTURE!!
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/audio...html#post10627

I though you X-fi modders may be interested in this.
@Evisu, Nice find on that soundcard sheild. I will check it out. THX.

Very, very nice. It pretty much makes this whole mod obsolete since it already uses LM4562, but too bad it will probably cost $199 or maybe even more.

May 30, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #802 of 2,194
Uses the LM4562NA's for the Fronts ONLY. It uses the 2134's for all other channels, which are also widley used in audio and sound good. When you guys mod your cards is it possible to put Sockets in there for normal Dip IC's are is the spacing to small?
Guys will still want to do the mods.

May 30, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #804 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evisu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cotdt for the Power filter cap, would you recommend spending a little more for the FK 1000uf 16v?

Yes.

May 30, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #806 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys if you want more bass,rich and with even more extention,you can try blackgate nx,elna silmic 2 for decoupling.

decoupling = the 4 to short on the 1st page, rite?
blackgates nx (6.3v or 16v ones?) > Short ?

also, sorry for being a noob here, in x-meridian thread, they mentioned about "the individual caps on the Opamps "for the x-fi, does anyone happen to know which caps are those??
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241403

May 31, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #807 of 2,194
Hi all,

I own a X-Fi xtrememusic and will receive a HD555 headphone the next week

from this very LONG thread i concluded that the mod will give very nice results

the problem is that i am located in Egypt and i can't find neither the amp nor the cap

so does anyone know a site that have all of what i need for this mod and will ship to me ? or can anyone accept sending them to me after i pay him their price ???

from what i have read i need 4 x lm4562 amp and 1 x 16v2200uf cap, anything else i need that may increase the sound quality ?

also will i need to use an external amp for my headphones ??

sorry for the long post and many questions

Thanks in advance and sorry for bothering

May 31, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #808 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very, very nice. It pretty much makes this whole mod obsolete since it already uses LM4562, but too bad it will probably cost $199 or maybe even more.

They have better DAC's too.

Oh well, this mod is cheaper still
tongue.gif

May 31, 2007 at 1:53 AM Post #809 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Auzen X-FI Prelude 7.1 PICTURE!!
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/audio...html#post10627

I though you X-fi modders may be interested in this.

hehe yeah saw a pic of that a while back, didnt know it used the lm4562 though. Thats a sweet soundcard no doubt. Looks very well made. Wonder what it costs... I think those who succesfully did this mod to their stock XFi's will be content enough to not get more then just a bit jealous maybe of that :p
Nice components on that card though. any reviews on it yet?

May 31, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #810 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Safrout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I own a X-Fi xtrememusic and will receive a HD555 headphone the next week

from this very LONG thread i concluded that the mod will give very nice results

the problem is that i am located in Egypt and i can't find neither the amp nor the cap

so does anyone know a site that have all of what i need for this mod and will ship to me ? or can anyone accept sending them to me after i pay him their price ???

from what i have read i need 4 x lm4562 amp and 1 x 16v2200uf cap, anything else i need that may increase the sound quality ?

You can order the opamps straight from National Semiconductor's site (samples-you may or may not have to pay s&h). For capacitors you should also be able to just order online somewhere. I heard digikey mentioned several times, personally I have the luck to have some well stocked hi-fi stores in town so i can't recommend any specific online store.
If you have no creditcard, analog devices tends to send samples free of charge and their AD8599 is a good alternative for the LM4562.
Number of opamps you need depends what you want from your card:
Stereo out: 1 opamp
Surround out: 3 more opamps
Line-in: 1 more opamp

so yeah 4 opamps for surround out and no line-in change. Other possible improvements include electrostatic shielding, for which you could use ESR paper or bags, but this part of the mod seems to be more a matter of taste than an absolute must. Also may depend on your specific computer if theres a use for it. You probably do not want to short the coupling caps if you use your headphones directly with your soundcard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back