Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
May 10, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #676 of 2,194
Uh....EMI doesn't reflect.It travels through the nearest layer of the conducting material inside the ERS bag / paper.Its a faraday cage,just like your car.If lightning were to hit your car,it's the best if you stay inside.THe lightning wont bounce around or back into the heavens.It will pass through the outer metallic layer of your car,keeping you unharmed.

May 10, 2007 at 9:22 AM Post #677 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by VFXCode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me which opamps is for each channel??

I use a 5.1 system currently and if can i dont want to swap the opamp for the side channels.

Anybody ???
confused.gif

May 10, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #679 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by VFXCode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone tell me which opamps is for each channel??

I use a 5.1 system currently and if can i dont want to swap the opamp for the side channels.

Side channel Opamp is the nearest to sidechannel output. In other words, if u dont want to change all opamps skip the ones that are near the output(s) you are not using.

May 10, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #680 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont have an amp. I plug directly into the soundcard with my DT770/80's. I was thinking about getting an amp. Also can anyone comment on what I said about desoldering the capacitor. I dont have my capacitor soldered 100% correctly, I could only get 1 leg through, the other hole is blocked by the old legs, so I rested the new leg on top and soldered on the topside of the card. If there isnt a proper connection, what risks am I running? Would the card even work, or would it just not work to its full capacity? Im just unsure of whether I can settle for a crappy solder job and possibly a not so good connection or if I should bring it in to work where we have hotter soldering irons and try to get that leg out (although its stuck in there pretty good).

Would be nice to get some insight on this.

Like ive had my soundcard running for a good 3 days now, sounds not much different than before. What is the capacitor mod supposed to do, and how can I tell if I soldered it correctly? Like I said, I have one leg soldered properly and the other leg is resting on the top of the card, over the other hole which has a piece of the old capacitor's leg stuck in there, and I just applied solder on the topside of the card. If the capacitor isnt soldered correctly would the card malfunction? It outputs sound for me, sounds pretty decent on DVD movies and tv shows, but my music still sounds crappy (at least I know its my music quality, even though I am apparantly playing bit-perfect music). So Im just confused on whether I should take another stab at trying to get the leg out and then solder the capacitor properly.

May 10, 2007 at 3:13 PM Post #681 of 2,194
Covering the card's backside with anti-static bag wasn't such a good idea. I got a huge buzz and after that distorted sound. I took the card out from the case and it was warm. Now it works flawlessly without the anti-static bag.

Have to figure out different approach, maybe some non-conductive poles above the card and anti-static bag on top of those so there will be room for the card to breathe.

May 10, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #683 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by YCH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use an Audio Precision 2722 analyzer quite frequently, so measuring THD+N, IMD, and TIM are quite easy as long as I set things up right. Suggestions for applicable measurements are welcome as I would like to see what the differences are before and after changing the opamp (I'm gonna do one mod at a time).

Eager for the Audio Precision results.

May 10, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #684 of 2,194
Quote:

Would be nice to get some insight on this.

Like ive had my soundcard running for a good 3 days now, sounds not much different than before. What is the capacitor mod supposed to do, and how can I tell if I soldered it correctly? Like I said, I have one leg soldered properly and the other leg is resting on the top of the card, over the other hole which has a piece of the old capacitor's leg stuck in there, and I just applied solder on the topside of the card. If the capacitor isnt soldered correctly would the card malfunction? It outputs sound for me, sounds pretty decent on DVD movies and tv shows, but my music still sounds crappy (at least I know its my music quality, even though I am apparantly playing bit-perfect music). So Im just confused on whether I should take another stab at trying to get the leg out and then solder the capacitor properly.

you need good headphones and an amp. low impedance headphones work poorly straight out of the sound card. higher impedance but power-hungry headphones also would need an amp.

May 10, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #685 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Side channel Opamp is the nearest to sidechannel output. In other words, if u dont want to change all opamps skip the ones that are near the output(s) you are not using.

Could anybody please be a little preciser?
I also wasn't able to get more than three LM4562MA. I use a 7.1 Teufel Concept G THX System but the side speakers aren't used that much, so that I can leave them with the old oamp.
wink.gif

Unfortunately the side speakers are divided on two jacks (see attachment).

Or does anybody have a fourth LM4562MA for me?
blink.gif

May 11, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #686 of 2,194
I measure the temp on the back of the card, right behind the x-fi chip with my fluke52 and it registered at 48C.That is very warm. Could it cause long term effect if you cover the back and that heat has no where to go?

BTW the Senn. HD580 get plenty loud plugged directly into the soundcard.

May 11, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #688 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFNDeal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats what I am doing currently, but my issue with that is that the headphones will be outputting sound, when I have the speakers on. I would prefer a way to disable the speakers, aside from unplugging them.

Could try making a simple A-B box, or buy one from here: http://electronicsusa.com/mk1and2.html

I probably will grab one myself as I intend to get an xtrememusic soon.

May 11, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #689 of 2,194
Nobody is really answering my question. Im asking if I should try to resolder the capacitor because I didnt do the best of job soldering it. Its a really sketchy soldering job and Im wondering how I would know if the capacitor was soldered correctly. Would the card not work or just sound worse? What does the capacitor mod do so that I can know if I soldered the capacitor correctly. Please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read my question and answer it, I know its difficult but please can someone just answer me.

May 11, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #690 of 2,194
Quote:

Nobody is really answering my question. Im asking if I should try to resolder the capacitor because I didnt do the best of job soldering it. Its a really sketchy soldering job and Im wondering how I would know if the capacitor was soldered correctly. Would the card not work or just sound worse? What does the capacitor mod do so that I can know if I soldered the capacitor correctly. Please PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read my question and answer it, I know its difficult but please can someone just answer me.

do you have pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back