Hotrodding the X-Fi: A Layman's Guide (No 56k)
May 4, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #601 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty009 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how 2xOPA 627 (with adapter) will sound? Heard it HiQ stuff, but price is also hi.

Measured today my front channel DC voltage (caps shorted and ad8620 as opamp) and it showed 180mV. Kind of high or what? Of cource amplifier should have cap against DC of its own and it wont damage headphones but it's kind of hi anyway and caps should be unshorted?

i get the same reading as well... opamp changed and cap shorted.. 180mv from 1 channel and and 155mv from the other...

May 4, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #602 of 2,194
I don't doubt the differences caused by the change of opamp and the ERS paper,but the difference by adding the huge valued capacitor (part of the digital and analog stage).2200 uF cap, ?? IF you read the voltage regulator datasheets as I have,you will find no use for anything more than 480uF or so..Also,lookup waht happens to the voltage noise when caps with different capacitance are connected at the output of the regulators.(google it ).

Also,why on earth has no one on this thread added the 0.1uF caps left out by Creative ?

And,codt,I am using a 2 way sealed Morel bookshelves hooked up to a Panasonic Digital amp now.

May 4, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #603 of 2,194
i only changed the opamp and shorted the 4 capacitor so far.. i haven't get the black gate capacitor and the ers paper... will it be safe to remain with 180mv? else i'll unshort them later..

May 4, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #604 of 2,194
hey cotdt I have an Audigy 2ZS, is this the op-amp?
audigyjm9.jpg
(thanks, angryguy, yeah I did steal your pic
biggrin.gif
)

also where's the power filtering cap, to the lower right of the processor? How about those 4 caps that you short? You say to mount the soundcard as far as possible from the video card, but for me that puts it as close as possible to the power supply. Is that ok or should I put a double layer of ERS paper between them?

May 4, 2007 at 7:45 AM Post #605 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey cotdt I have an Audigy 2ZS, is this the op-amp?
audigyjm9.jpg
(thanks, angryguy, yeah I did steal your pic)

Yes, that is the opamp. I don't know which is the power filter cap. You'll have to trace the board to find it.

May 4, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #606 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't doubt the differences caused by the change of opamp and the ERS paper,but the difference by adding the huge valued capacitor (part of the digital and analog stage).2200 uF cap, ?? IF you read the voltage regulator datasheets as I have,you will find no use for anything more than 480uF or so..Also,lookup waht happens to the voltage noise when caps with different capacitance are connected at the output of the regulators.(google it ).

You're right, it's not the size of the capacitor that matters. But the debate is whether or not using high quality caps as power filter effects the sound. I thought it did, but the only way to prove it is to do a blind A/B test. There are, however, instances of hundreds of people who change out their power capacitors for better ones and noted an improvement in the sound (ie. better clarity). It's hard to argue that hundreds (if not thousands) of people are all under the influence of placebo. Is it really so hard to beleive? The power supply is in the audio signal path and are not even close to acting like ideal capacitors. The specs of various capacitors are very different and these differences are directly measureable.

May 4, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #609 of 2,194
Quote:

Also,why on earth has no one on this thread added the 0.1uF caps left out by Creative ?

Can u tell where these caps suppose to go? I would like to try to add them.
Quote:

I highly doubt that the big capacitor is a part of the audio signal path.

It's part of power circuit but doesnt more stable DC voltage that goes to DAC, opamp etc result in lesser noise and berret sound in these components?
(hope ereryone understood what i meant, since im not too good with english)

May 4, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #610 of 2,194
It's a general known fact that a cleaner and more stable DC current in audio systems is of great benefit.

Perhaps GorE made the power cap replacement and didn't notice any difference due to A) his equipment setup or B) difference between the way people work!

I've definately noticed a difference, forum members have noted a difference and people visiting me have noticed a difference and this is just from replacing the power cap.

GorE - instead of just stating that everyone else is subjected to a placebo effect either prove that there is no audible benefit or please just don't comment on it.

Also...you waffle on about 0.1uF caps left out by Creative...your the only source I've seen mention this (granted I haven't looked at any technical documents in regard to any workings of the card) so why not propose the mod, reasons for it and add a little tutorial about how and what to change.

(can't even see that you have done this mod yourself let alone mention any noticeable benefit).

May 4, 2007 at 11:22 AM Post #611 of 2,194
from what I know, a capacitor can act as an low pass filter, it simply filter out the noise of the signal. Creative designed it maybe so that they can filter out the noise from PCI slot to the card, but since there is already a bunch of other resistor on the card, they probably ended up realizing that these extra capacitor is not needed

May 4, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #612 of 2,194
Quote:

I highly doubt that the big capacitor is a part of the audio signal path.

Your doubts deceive you. The power supply is always part of the signal path if you think about it. Please stop crapping my thread. You have not even tried these mods because you do not even have an X-Fi. I'll be happy to discuss electronics with you, but you seem to have some very strong beliefs. You would get a lot more respect around here if you actually made the effort to back up your arguments.

May 4, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #613 of 2,194
"cotdt" you should order some samples of ad8599 to hear your self the diference
compared to lm4562,lm4562 sound ok to me,but ad8599 have better soundstage
and there is much more life and involvement with AD8599.

May 4, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #614 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by kirimaru /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"cotdt" you should order some samples of ad8599 to hear your self the diference
compared to lm4562,lm4562 sound ok to me,but ad8599 have better soundstage
and there is much more life and involvement with AD8599.

i'll try it. there's also some other obscure but good opamps like AD9632.

May 4, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #615 of 2,194
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that is the opamp. I don't know which is the power filter cap. You'll have to trace the board to find it.

ummm
confused.gif
how?

Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're right, it's not the size of the capacitor that matters. But the debate is whether or not using high quality caps as power filter effects the sound. I thought it did, but the only way to prove it is to do a blind A/B test. There are, however, instances of hundreds of people who change out their power capacitors for better ones and noted an improvement in the sound (ie. better clarity). It's hard to argue that hundreds (if not thousands) of people are all under the influence of placebo. Is it really so hard to beleive? The power supply is in the audio signal path and are not even close to acting like ideal capacitors. The specs of various capacitors are very different and these differences are directly measureable.

if this is the case, why not save a little dough and use the 470uf BG? Or better yet, spend a couple more bucks(than the 2200uf standard BG) and use the 470uf FK series BG?

Is the lowest PCI slot (also the farthest from the video card) the best place for the soundcard if its the closest place to the power supply?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back