Hotel sound system
Dec 11, 2007 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ozstrike

100+ Head-Fier
May or may not be the right forum, but the question is mainly about sources, so I put it in here.

I need to set up a sound system for a hotel. Right now, there are 3 areas that need music. Two of them have speakers wired in to the walls, one doesn't.
Right now, the two areas with speakers are using a mini system as an amplifier, and playing CDs off these. We used to have mp3 players plugged into the aux in of the mini systems, but they died after a couple years of use.
Now we're looking for something more durable.
The only thing I could think of was to get a CD player that would suppor mp3 CDs, which has the advantage of me being able to send loaded CDs down every so often with new music.
We could probably do with getting a new way of amplifying the speakers too.

I'm stuck for a cost effective solution, so I'm turning to you guys?
Needs:
Ease of use
Durability
As little space as possible
Way of playing/storing lots of music
Shuffle function

Does not need:
Audiophile quality.

Any ideas?

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #3 of 7
I would look into one of the commercial amps available through B&H, J&R or one of the pro sound companies. Considerably less expensive than audiophile gear and they're designed to run 24/7. A lot of audiophile gear isn't designed for that kind of duty cycle.

As for feeding music, I'd really consider using a computer. You could pick up a fist gen Mac Mini for under $300, load it with iTunes and music, and jack it right into the amp. Create playlists, have it play stuff off your iPod, and so on.

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 7
Studiocare in Liverpool have the JBL MPC200 poweramps which are very reasonable and can drive 3 sets of speakers in series easily for this kind of application.

2nd the Mini Mac recomendation as a source also. If you want to improve the sound quality you could feed a Beresford DAC which would also double as a preamp although I'm not sure how much maltreatment the volume knob would handle....
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozstrike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Problem with the mac mini is, it needs a screen to use. I have considered using some form of computer though, probably running a linux distro.

There are some nice alternatives here Quiet PC UK - Zalman and Ahanix Stylish & Quiet HTPC Cases if you don't want to go the mac route but you won't really save much money as the mini is very keenly priced for what you get and even has remote control. Plus you can install Windows and Ubuntu or whatever on it as well as or instead of the MacOS if you like. Any computer based system will require a screen though to get at the full functionality.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 7
I like the MP3 CD idea because it has the least possibility of being totally screwed up in your absence. No, "Oops, I deleted everything," and less likelihood that employees will abuse their music-listening privileges. Just make sure that your files are numbered so that the playlist plays properly every time. Most CD players should also be able to randomize the tracklist.

If the mini systems are powering the speakers well enough, you could probably leave them alone. Otherwise, consider a new preamp / power amp, integrated amp, or if you're really on a budget, home theater receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back