Hornet
Nov 6, 2005 at 9:41 PM Post #16 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sennheiser

So either the SR-71 is going to be obsolete, or the Hornet is going to be obsolete.

What makes you say that? Both will co-exist. There are people who have heard the Hornet and are still very satisfied with their SR-71.

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #17 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by smith
btw quite a few SR-71 in the sales section now
frown.gif

The Chicken littles and the FOTM crowd are always afeared of a sell-off, but that usually doesn't apply to the highest quality goods, intrinsic value intercedes.

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #18 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
What makes you say that? Both will co-exist. There are people who have heard the Hornet and are still very satisfied with their SR-71.

i agree. sure, some sr-71 owners will go for the hornet because it's smaller, newer, etc., but as they sound different (haven't heard the hornet yet so i'm only going by what i've read), there will be a market for both. i doubt either will become "obsolete".

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #19 of 63
FWIW, i just came back from the Boston meet and Ray was there with everything, almost everything. Hornet, sr71, stealth, hr-2, raptor, etc

Hornet
Freaking good amp. The gain control is a great feature to have. It's smaller and twice as light as the sr71. The SQ is similar to the sr71, i think it might have a little more punch but it's so subtle. If you're just considering them for the sound quality, then i feel that changing is not necessary. However, if you intend to put them in your shirt pocket, then BIG PLUS to the hornet. I'm so impressed that i'm thinking of buying one.

If i was looking to get a portable amp, i would get a hornet above any other. No offence to the competition.

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #20 of 63
The more I listen to the hornet, the more I am impressed by it. I think the burn in is making the sound smoother, the bass punchier and tighter and the highs could not be better. Well, I need to hear the raptor. I can see myself buying every model in Ray's lineup of amps. They are that good!

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:39 AM Post #21 of 63
I've consulted with Ray about purchasing the Hornet even though I am the proud owner of SR71 - 6001. I really like the sound of my SR71/Sensa 2Xs/HD1 rig. He flat out tells me I do not need the Hornet. I believe him, though I will take a listen when I get a chance to drive over to his house. For now, the PayPal button has not been clicked...

Maybe he can put a gain switch on my SR71!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Regards - reynman

Nov 7, 2005 at 3:55 AM Post #22 of 63
I am a big fan of the SR71. It is my favorite amp, but the hornet plays my grados extremely well. I never liked how the SR71 sounded with grados. They both sound different. If your SR71 does it for all your headphones, then you may not need the Hornet.

Nov 7, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #23 of 63
I am a big fan of the SR71. It is my favorite amp, but the hornet plays my grados extremely well. I never liked how the SR71 sounded with grados. They both sound different. If your SR71 does it for all your headphones, then you may not need the Hornet.

Nov 7, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #24 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT
The more I listen to the hornet, the more I am impressed by it. I think the burn in is making the sound smoother, the bass punchier and tighter and the highs could not be better. Well, I need to hear the raptor. I can see myself buying every model in Ray's lineup of amps. They are that good!

Couldn't agree any more on your impressions, I'm hoping the process will plateau soon.
As far as the Raptor comparisons- they're valid as to SS, but not to SQ, the Raptor is on another level
tongue.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #25 of 63
This is about sonic nuance as far as I can see. In my fantasy I have a room about 20x40 with custom cabinetry and display shelves. There would be ample room for just about every flavor of the month and then some. Even for my embarrassments. Including the rs-71 and Hornet.

Nov 8, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #26 of 63
Is anyone out there using a 5g ipod with the Hornet and UE5c's as a portable system. I have the 5g and the UE5c's now, but was thinking about trying a hornet as well. Not that the combo I have now sounds bad, but you know the fun is in the search for audio bliss.

Thanks
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #27 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by viper32
Is anyone out there using a 5g ipod with the Hornet and UE5c's as a portable system. I have the 5g and the UE5c's now, but was thinking about trying a hornet as well. Not that the combo I have now sounds bad, but you know the fun is in the search for audio bliss.

Thanks
icon10.gif

I have the ue5 supers and they have a very high sensativity that did not lend itself to amping to me. While you get some improvement from bypassing the ipod weak headphone out/bass issue you already compensated with the Cs as they are bass heavy. YMMV

Nov 8, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #28 of 63
Dumb question here, please don't flame me! I was wondering how much is it to buy a hornet? It sounds like a superb amp from all the posts I've read. I'm considering buying one. - "Thank You"

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:29 AM Post #29 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sushimoto
Dumb question here, please don't flame me! I was wondering how much is it to buy a hornet? It sounds like a superb amp from all the posts I've read. I'm considering buying one. - "Thank You"

$350 + shipping.

Nov 8, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #30 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by reynman
I've consulted with Ray about purchasing the Hornet even though I am the proud owner of SR71 - 6001. I really like the sound of my SR71/Sensa 2Xs/HD1 rig. He flat out tells me I do not need the Hornet. I believe him, though I will take a listen when I get a chance to drive over to his house. For now, the PayPal button has not been clicked...

Maybe he can put a gain switch on my SR71!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Regards - reynman

Actually, i'm listening in the same range on the Hornet (low gain), as i would on my SR-71, so don't buy on that account.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back