Hornet V Predator ??
Jan 15, 2008 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

jamespb78

Head-Fier
Hi all,

Does anyone have any info or feedback on how the Hornet compares to the Predator?

Ignoring the DAC in the predator obviously - I am only wanting to compare the 2 as amps. I've heard the predator is meant to have less noise than the Hornet - but what else? Is it a worthy upgrade? Anyone tried both?

And yes, I have been trying to read all the posts!

Thanks

Jan 15, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamespb78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

Does anyone have any info or feedback on how the Hornet compares to the Predator?

Ignoring the DAC in the predator obviously - I am only wanting to compare the 2 as amps. I've heard the predator is meant to have less noise than the Hornet - but what else? Is it a worthy upgrade? Anyone tried both?

And yes, I have been trying to read all the posts!

Thanks

I wanna know too. Loved my Hornet and wouldn't mind buying one again now that I've got Imod and v-cap. Only don't need the DAC like in the Predator.

So anyone gonna do a comparo???

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 33
I've never heard "noise" from my Hornets using my T2s (109dB / 1 mW, 26ohm)... How can the Predator be quieter?

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 33
What about a Pico sans DAC?

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard "noise" from my Hornets using my T2s (109dB / 1 mW, 26ohm)... How can the Predator be quieter?

From Rays website:

"Predator has the lowest floor noise specs than that of the Hornet & Tomahawk."

Jan 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamespb78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From Rays website:

"Predator has the lowest floor noise specs than that of the Hornet & Tomahawk."

I've read that.

I don't think you realise how little that actually means? It's marketing, I tell you. It also happens to be something which doesn't really translate into any real-world, practical value.

And if you're so keen on quoting marketing literature, here's one too:
"The Hornet works great with no hum or hiss..."

Ray is a good amp designer, but he's also one heck of a businessman too, ie he knows how to sell his amps to us audiophiles who'll open their cheque-books to almost anything which looks or "sounds" good on paper.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 33
Quote:

I've read that.

I don't think you realise how little that actually means? It's marketing, I tell you. It also happens to be something which doesn't really translate into any real-world, practical value.

I have a Hornet 'M' and a Predator. Using an Ultrasone Edition 9 and Ety ER4p/s, you could set both the Hornet and the Predator to maximum gain and turn the volume all the way up. On the Hornet, I'll have to back the volume off just a bit to get it "dead" quiet. On the Predator, I can leave it all the way up and not hear a thing.

Is this a real-world, practical application? Probably not, but the Predator is quieter nonetheless.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 33
Fair enough. I daresay you would become slightly deaf before you notice how "black" the background was with the ER4P or S at full volume
biggrin.gif

Totally off topic, but what is the gain of the Hornet and Predator (@ the "high gain" setting")? The reason I ask is because if they have different levels of gain, might comparisons between the two be kinda pointless from purely objective point of view regardless of their real-world practical performance?

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 33
LOL. Yeah, the test would have been quite extreme had I not used a "silence" file to play for the test.
wink.gif

I'd have to ask Ray about the Hornet gain, but the Predator's max gain is 11. When listening to music, they seem similar. If it turns out that the gains are significantly different between the two, I would have to agree that the test would perhaps be pointless.

In any case, both of the amps are extremely quiet.

Jan 16, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 33
I have a gut feeling that the Hornet's gain is actually lower than 11, which makes the Predator a quieter amp for what its worth...

Jan 16, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Fair enough. I daresay you would become slightly deaf before you notice how "black" the background was with the ER4P or S at full volume
biggrin.gif

Totally off topic, but what is the gain of the Hornet and Predator (@ the "high gain" setting")? The reason I ask is because if they have different levels of gain, might comparisons between the two be kinda pointless from purely objective point of view regardless of their real-world practical performance?

Both HI gain on the Hornet & the Predator are (11)
Ray Samuels

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #13 of 33
Quote:

I've read that.

And if you're so keen on quoting marketing literature, here's one too:
"The Hornet works great with no hum or hiss..."

Ray is a good amp designer, but he's also one heck of a businessman too, ie he knows how to sell his amps to us audiophiles who'll open their cheque-books to almost anything which looks or "sounds" good on paper.

If only Jullian Hirsh was still with us. He'd settle this bru-haha toot-sweet!
cool.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #14 of 33
Oh,well then if Jullian Hirsh is involved, you wont need a headphone amp and wires and burn-in also dont make a difference. 18 gauge wire is enough for most applications to Julian...lol.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Ray's engineer is a good amp designer, but he's also one heck of a businessman too, ie he knows how to sell his amps to us audiophiles who'll open their cheque-books to almost anything which looks or "sounds" good on paper.

Fixed.
wink.gif

In anycase, I can hear hiss on all the RSA portables I've listened to. But like said, the margin of quiet-ness is so minimal, I'd be willing to bet I could hear hiss on the Predator as well.

All in all, I'm curious to hear how it sounds...especially next to a modded D1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back