Hornet 'M' or Mini³? - a(nother) review
Nov 9, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Always good to get more opinions.
smily_headphones1.gif
May be time for me to revisit the Mini^3 too, to see if it's developed any further.

We all hear differently, kind of like ice cream! Some prefer vanilla I prefer chocolate.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We all hear differently, kind of like ice cream! Some prefer vanilla I prefer chocolate.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Which leaves me somewhere in the middle - my preferred ice cream is "Cookies and Cream"
tongue.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #18 of 27
Wonderfull review webbie64. I built a high performance Mini^3 for myself and the sound quality is fantastic (cost for home-built is about 90 usd depending on parts chosen ect...minus the faceplate from AMB which I did opt for). Just a note about the hiss you mention , mine doesnt have any also but that may be simply a difference in builds. I went with Vishay resistors and some surface mount diodes that could be it , don't know.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #19 of 27
I think that the OP's post is an excellent review. I have a Rockhopper Mini^3 and just a few small divergencies from the main review are in order. My unit has zero hiss, turned up all the way it is dead silent. Now, it is a unit with a gain of two, so I don't know if the higher gain unit might hiss, but this does not. Also, I do not perceive the instrument separation to be too wide or unrealistic, but very realistic, with very good depth and air, and really, really good detail. At the going price it's phenomenal, and just as an amp without price considerations I believe it is in the front rank with other high quality portables.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #20 of 27
Very good point about the gain vorlon1 , mine is the default from AMBs design 5x , with the most he reccomeds being 8x on the website. Listenting to my main phones now (HD-580) dead silent on max volume no noise or hiss. Just did a quick test of the KOSS KCS 75 I have handy (obviously much lower Ohms) and at full volume I do hear the noise floor as would be expected , like putting a shell to your ear a very quiet "shiiii" sound. It's just a matter of matching the phone to the gain , though as stated in the review it would not be noticable under listenable volumes.

Edit! Forgot to mention I did this connected to a 5g 30gig ipod with a LOD disables the ipods volume controls so it is a true line out , I should have also done it with no source connected but forgot.

Nov 9, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #23 of 27
I use HD580s with my mini cubed with a gain of 2 and it powers them fine.

Nov 9, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #24 of 27
If you can guarantee a source input of 2Vrms, get gain of 2. The reason being you would need 2Vrms to take full advantage of the voltage swing of the output. Otherwise 5 is better, for the Senns, and general usage with generic portable sources.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by eternality.pl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is mini3 anough to power let's say hd600 ?> I'm now a step from ordering but I lisen 99,9% through hd600s and Livewires T1 so I have this dillema gain 2 or 5
frown.gif

aaaaaah, help
frown.gif

I'd go with the other advice on the Senns as I haven't tried it with any. Gain of 5 with T1s is in a similar area on the volume pot to the Hornet 'M' low gain - first quarter turn only. But that's more than enough adjustability for me and provides that extra output when needed for other headphones like the Senns.

Nov 9, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

THX for the tip on the better MiniBox E power coming out Miguel
wink.gif

We do all have different hearing and I can always tell when I read your reviews on the same amps Rob has reviewed. Outside of the $300.00 plus amps I plan to try an onslaught of them and knowing me I'll probably end up keeping most and building individual systems for genre's
eek.gif
My wallet's really going to hate me! LOL

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Podster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

THX for the tip on the better MiniBox E power coming out Miguel
wink.gif

We do all have different hearing and I can always tell when I read your reviews on the same amps Rob has reviewed. Outside of the $300.00 plus amps I plan to try an onslaught of them and knowing me I'll probably end up keeping most and building individual systems for genre's
eek.gif
My wallet's really going to hate me! LOL

Enjoy the ride, trying amps and finding what you like is half the fun.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back