Hornet and Tomahawk
Feb 16, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #76 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it is time to put in that call to mr. Samuels..

Familiar words... that's how it starts, before you know it, you're re-mortgaging your house for "just one more purchase".
evil_smiley.gif

Don't mind me, I can quit this habbit any time. Honest.

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by animaal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Familiar words... that's how it starts, before you know it, you're re-mortgaging your house for "just one more purchase".
evil_smiley.gif

Don't mind me, I can quit this habbit any time. Honest.

Yeh, I can tell from your sig!! Hehehe.. you're too far gone!

Feb 16, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I guess that poses the question of "why did the Headfive suck so much as to get a beat down from a portable?"
biggrin.gif

X2 Very true! No self respecting home amp should be getting it's ***** handed to it by a portable! Not even a low-end home amp!

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #79 of 89
Quote:

X2 Very true! No self respecting home amp should be getting it's ***** handed to it by a portable! Not even a low-end home amp!

despite who kicks whos asss, IMO its a matter of apples and oranges here. cant really compare home amps and portables. a home amp is limited only by design and costs issues (asthetics aside) while the portable faces that and a whole buncha more. the fact that a portable compares at all (esp.to a highly rated home amp like the H5) says volumes
wink.gif
. i for one am extremely stoked by the great choices we have
eggosmile.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #80 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottiebabie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
despite who kicks whos asss, IMO its a matter of apples and oranges here. cant really compare home amps and portables. a home amp is limited only by design and costs issues (asthetics aside) while the portable faces that and a whole buncha more. the fact that a portable compares at all (esp.to a highly rated home amp like the H5) says volumes
wink.gif
. i for one am extremely stoked by the great choices we have
eggosmile.gif

Well, that's what I was trying to say, in not so many words... portables have more limiting factors due to size constraints... so that alone should give home amps the advantage.

Feb 17, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #81 of 89
Quote:

Can you lay any technical argument to support your generalisation? If not, it's just insignificant blablabla. I for one believe the opposite to your statement. Today's portable amps are just about to take over home amps, and the evolution is pretty speedy.

Let's not forget the iBasso P1, another one with powerful output transistors instead of op-amps. I received mine just yesterday and with my K701 it's already showing all the attributes I above said I desire. It has a material presence with vocals and instruments, a thunderous bass on demand, a great deal of smoothness, refinement and richness in colors... And that's with the stock OPA2134s, using the supplied 18V AC adapter. I now wonder what the LM4562 or the AD823/AD8620 are going to do for it.

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #83 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by caramelsoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AS much of a fan boy you are, i thought this was the Tomahawk and Hornet thread...
wink.gif

As it still is. Or to put it like Lawrence Sterne, digressions are the soul of writing.

As far as fanboyism goes, I am a fanboy of a variety of things.
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #84 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by supermite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you lay any technical argument to support your generalisation? If not, it's just insignificant blablabla. I for one believe the opposite to your statement. Today's portable amps are just about to take over home amps, and the evolution is pretty speedy.

Let's not forget the iBasso P1, another one with powerful output transistors instead of op-amps. I received mine just yesterday and with my K701 it's already showing all the attributes I above said I desire. It has a material presence with vocals and instruments, a thunderous bass on demand, a great deal of smoothness, refinement and richness in colors... And that's with the stock OPA2134s, using the supplied 18V AC adapter. I now wonder what the LM4562 or the AD823/AD8620 are going to do for it.

Quite simply: Once you start using the uhh.. 18v AC adaptor, you are no longer portable.. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the concept of portable meant you are able to take your amp with you, walking the dog, jogging, on the bus, etc.... Where do you suppose you'll be plugging in that 18v AC adaptor while you're walking in the park?

Show me one portable that's going to "take over" the Meier Opera?? I'm a little confused on that one..
wink.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:14 PM Post #85 of 89
You're always stretching my statements to the extreme, are you.
biggrin.gif

Small and able to be battery powered doesn't in any way make it a different thing for me. A headphone amp is a headphone amp, period. If it can also be taken with you it's just an added feature that you may or may not take advantage of (I currently don't). I don't really share that all too easy disposition to divide fundamentally omologue things into strictly separate mental cathegories.

Feb 17, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #86 of 89
Quote:

While something may look absolutely great on paper, it doesn't mean thats how its going to perform. Forget about the technical aspects and just listen/trust your ears. After all, if it doesn't sound great, it really doesn't matter what kind of specs it has.

I agree that portables are closing the gap b/t home amps. But as far as portable amps taking over...I really can't see that happening, atleast anytime soon. At best, I'd say the higher end portable amps are on par with the entry level home amps (atleast this is what I've concluded based on my own gear). So I guess its a good thing that most people disagree...otherwise SinglePower, Cary Audio, Pass Labs, Dartzeel, and the rest should go ahead and pack up house.
280smile.gif
Actually, I'd like to see one "portable" amp capable of sufficiently driving the K1000s.
tongue.gif

I'm curious...what home amps have you A/Bed vs portables? Or is this a typical Andrea argument of "bench racing" to see which amp is better without listening to them and all your gear being under $200? **just messin with ya
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #87 of 89
Yeah, but please keep what's written in my sig in mind. That is the background I unconsciously tend to take for granted when it apparently is not.

More exactly, my instinctive disposition is to pursue the optimisation of the infamous "cost vs performance" thing, which I for one
redface.gif
see (and have experienced) as in a strict correspondence (save exceptions, that get more and more rare) with the other infamous thing, "cost vs material value".

And, I have found that today's budget equipment, when accurately selected, is what gets closest to both my ideal and my music lover's practical requirements.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 17, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Yeah, but please keep what's written in my sig in mind. That is the background I unconsciously tend to take for granted when it apparently is not.

More exactly, my instinctive disposition is to pursue the optimisation of the infamous "cost vs performance" thing, which I for one
redface.gif
see (and have experienced) as in a strict correspondence (save exceptions, that get more and more rare) with the other infamous thing, "cost vs material value".

And, I have found that today's budget equipment, when accurately selected, is what gets closest to both my ideal and my music lover's practical requirements.
smily_headphones1.gif

Fair enough.
biggthumpup.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 4:27 AM Post #89 of 89
WHAT HAPPENED?!??! Approximately 420 hours burned in on the Hornet and WHOA! Where did all that bass and dimension come from!!?!?
biggrin.gif
And it's going to continue changing all the way through 600 hours???

I hate his hobby.. one minute I'm ready to throw my gear out the window, then next BAM! I'm in love again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back