Hoping for some high end speaker amp advice
Apr 24, 2007 at 1:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

stuartr

Loyal member of Team Useful Post.
Hello everyone. First of all, hello to all the old members. I have not been around for awhile. Sorry, my headphone setup is complete and satisfies me completely. I have been so busy with photography that I have not had much time to deal with the audio. I am having a bit of an issue with my speaker amp setup though.

First off, let me say that I completely love my setup. I think it is in my signature, but I am using a CJ Premier 16LS Series II, Premier 140 and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Speakers. Frankly, the Premier 16 and 140 outclass the speakers, but nevertheless, the setup sounds absolutely amazing. The only problem is that the 140 is massive. My apartment is not. And lately I just haven't been listening to it enough lately to really justify owning it. Or at least justify owning it to myself. It is already paid for, so the finance aspect of it is not a problem. Basically, I was wondering if people knew of an amp that has similar character, but significantly less bulk and weight. I love the Premier 16 and it is not too big, so I figure I will keep it. But I was hoping there was something out there that was not massive, but performered really well. Ideally, I would like it to cost less than what the Premier 140 will fetch on the used market (probably 4000-5000). Anyway, if anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I would love to hear them. I live in NYC, so I can probably find places to listen to them.

Here she is...a svelte 85 lbs, but she is only 9 inches tall...

premier-140.jpg

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 7
I have been looking at the UcD amps and they sound pretty interesting. It seems like Channel Islands Audio is leading the pack here. Is that everyone else's experience? I don't really have the skills to DIY one...
My speakers are 4 ohms, nominal, Sensitivity: 88dB 1W/1m, 2.83V Power Handling: 50-250W, without clipping, but that should be ok, with the D100 or D200 right? Does anyone know how I could listen to one without buying them? They seem to be only direct buy from CA. It is a shame, because until September I lived about a half hour away from the manufacturer.

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 7
i'd give a listen to the ayre acoustics v-5xe. they make great products and always are thought to have a very natural sound. might be good for a tubie!

not really any cheaper than the value of your cj, though.

hard to beat the channel islands price . . .

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 7
Ayre 5 series is small enough and pretty decent and can surely drive your auditor to its max. can be upgraded to future goodies for next to nothing.
orphsmile.gif

Honestly you are just downgrading, which is in itself a painful experience.
evil_smiley.gif

GL

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcn3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'd give a listen to the ayre acoustics v-5xe. they make great products and always are thought to have a very natural sound. might be good for a tubie!

that amp is actually BIGGER than the OP's original amp. and he said he wants something smaller.

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that amp is actually BIGGER than the OP's original amp. and he said he wants something smaller.

alright alright.....Get the Ayre 7 integrated. 120W into 4ohm should be enough for Auditor. There is another integrated...which I can't remember sounds better than the 7 but cost about 30% more....slipped my mind at this time
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back