Hope this is not someone we knew....
Mar 30, 2002 at 6:17 AM Post #4 of 20
No disrespect to the recently deceased -- but man, in public places, it pays to wear open fones. With my Grados I can hear ambient noise when I'm crankin' the tunes; however, with the Ety's, forget about it.

By the way, that's a whole thread on its own -- do you ever feel secure enough to listen to your Ety's in public places? I find that a library's about it for me. Walking anywhere outside, hanging out in any public place -- unless my back is to the corner and I have clear view of the entrance/exits, it's Grados for me.
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #6 of 20
I work for a Railroad. I listen to headphones. Sometimes I do both at the same time. I have never not heard a train while listening to headphones. Either this person had them incredibly loud or just wanted to be listening to something good while committing suicide.

Mar 30, 2002 at 6:47 AM Post #7 of 20
That should teach me to turn down the volume...

Whilst my area isn't a crime blackspot... I always walk around listening at high volume... morning, noon, and night... and just have an intuitive guess as to when to cross the road...

frown.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 20
I wonder what the hell is was wearing and how loud he had them cranked up not to hear the train roaring at him, mind you the horn itself must be deafeningly LOUD. I use my 7506's and rarely have a problem...only once when some ass tried to race thru a red light and didn't honk, but i passed him already and he was flipping out in his car! After that i learned to always look, regardless.
redface.gif

Mar 30, 2002 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 20
Would the ground not rumble as the many many TONS of steel were roling over it?? The vibrations of the ground would be signifier enough to give me pause at a TRAIN track. There is no WAY this is the fault of headphones. And it's not that I feel I need to defend headphone usage, I just want to point out that the ASSUMPTION that he could not HEAR the train is just plain idiotic. He must of heard the train AND he certainly felt it as well. Unless of course he was high on drugs, in which case he was dead anyway so who cares???

Mar 30, 2002 at 12:29 PM Post #11 of 20
What a doofus, that should be a lesson to all to pay attention while walking out in public.

I'm sure a train would make more noise than the Etys would isolate. You'd also feel the vibrations from the rumble, especially in the ear.

Mar 30, 2002 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 20
This very thing is why I'm horified to wear Etys.This is also why bike messengers in Chicago have been banned from wearing headphones.I didn't respond to this call but about a year ago a bike messenger was hit by a police car because he didn't hear the sirens.Of course he is now sueing the City of Chicago.

Mar 30, 2002 at 4:36 PM Post #14 of 20
Cold point: Consider it a case of natural selection.

Bruce
(from Baltimore, where the gene pool could use a little chlorine)

Mar 30, 2002 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 20
I'm with Mr. PD, I think he was committing suicide, but wanted it to happen when he didn't notice, thus the headphones... or listening his last song I guess. Only an idiot would walk on the rails anyway, in any situation, unless they are asking for their death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back