hooking up headphone amp to super woofer out?
Apr 19, 2002 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NotoriousBIG_PJ

Step 1: Plug power cable into wall. Step 2: Plug other end of power cable into....umm.... Step 0.5: Order something to power with power cable.
I have an aiwa mini system with a super woofer out that is 1/8 size. Would I be crazy to hook my headphone amp (cha-47) up to this? I have no lineouts on any of my equipment hehe...

Biggie.

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I have an aiwa mini system with a super woofer out that is 1/8 size. Would I be crazy to hook my headphone amp (cha-47) up to this? I have no lineouts on any of my equipment hehe...

Biggie.

I think it would depend on two things.

1. Is the Aiwa sending a full range signal to the sub woofer pre out? ( it could be doing any bass management with sub woofer signal).

2. Is the Aiwa sending a stereo signal to the sub? It may be just a mono signal since the sub has no need to a stereo signal.

If you can answer yes to both these questions then I can see no reason why it would not work.

Regards, Nick

Apr 19, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Chances are 1) this output is mono; and 2) it only includes bass notes below a certain frequency.

There's certainly no harm in trying it (at a low volume of course).

Apr 20, 2002 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 7
My Denon DM-30 has a few line-outs which, I assume, are amplified. Could I run my HP-890's straight out of one of these amplilfied line-outs at the lowest volume level, say 1 of 33? Or will I smoke my headphones?

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 7
Line-outs are not necessarily amplified, and their volume is not necessarily control by the receiver. But I'm not familiar with your particular Denon device so I can't be sure. What you are refering to might be pre-amp out. But, if you turn down the volume to begin with, you shouldn't damage your headphones. If the outputs are in fact not controlled by the volume knob, then the sound might be quite loud, but I don't think that line level output would really damage headphones.

Apr 20, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Biggie.

You talking extreme bass on headphone aren't you .... it could mess up your heart beat and your arms could move for no reason.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2002 at 5:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't wreck my amp trying it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back