Hooking up a Sony 1A to an amplifier

1. Youry
    any idea how to hook up a Sony 1A Walkman player to a desktop amp?
    The amp has an RCA input, 3-pin XLR balanced, optical and USB DAC.
    The player has a 3.5mm output, a 4.4mm and Sony’s proprietary WM port.
    Tried to connect the WM cable with the USB port in the back with no success

Thanks a bunch for your time to answer my question

2. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    Can't find any info on whether it has a line out or USB audio output, except maybe a receiver with a USB-A input that will just use it as storage media.

You could sell it and get a Fiio X5III or X7 then use the line out, even without the DK1 dock.

3. PointyFox
  4. Youry
    ProtegeManiac, that doesn't work for me. I am invested in 4.4mm balanced cables already

5. Youry
    PointyFox, I did find a post last night that mentioned this cable as the solution to hook up a Sony to an amp, though the post hasn't been updated since 2016 and it doesn't say if it works.
    Mos likely I will order it.

Meanwhile I decided to try the micro USB cable that comes with my Sony PHA-3 portable amp.
    I will have to remove the extra 'contact' which is not doing anything other that giving the Sony cable a 'custom' look.
    I purchased a micro USB female to USB male adapter like the one in the second picture.

Will update this post for future reference

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ProtegeManiac Contributor
    Well when I said "sell it" I meant not just your DAP but every other thing that works specifically for it, so you can recoup that investment...

7. Quasimodosbelfry
    Use the 3.5mm connector, turn volume to 120. This is how I connect my WM1A to my Woo Audio WA7 and ALO Continental v5.

I'm looking for 4.4mm to RCA cables to do similar but someone suggested this is tantamount to connecting an SE jack to a balanced connection. But I've seen such cables around and I can't imagine the makers are idiots.

This whole issue was discussed at length here on the WM1A/Z thread.

While some have argued that this will lead to distortion from double amping, others have quoted Sony indicating this is the way to go. Regardless, it works for me.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  8. Youry
    Nope, it doesn't work. I thought I could save time by improvising with parts from Amazon but it doesn't work. I can see the cable charging the player but unfortunately it doesn't bypass Sony's DAC
    I'll have to order the one from Japan. Most likely it'll take forever

9. Youry

Edit: I just figure it out. I will use my Sony PHA3 as a pre amplifier until the cable from Japan arrives. I need a 3.5mm to RCA cable.