Homemade headphones?
Feb 17, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 17
Yeah, I have. I am on the tail end of a project.

I used wide-mouthed canning-jar lids and rings (can get them at most grocery stores), 14 AWG solid copper wiring, and regular silicone caulking. I haven't yet painted it, but it'll need painting. If you use the plastic jar-lids, you can use a soldering iron to melt holes through it, which I found to be more precise than drilling and doesn't leave sharp edges.

The idea was a combination of the look of the SteelSeries Siberia, and the foldability of Koss's SB-45/49. I don't have any testing equipment, so I can't give you sound-reduction data, but I can tell you that they sound nice. Plus, they fold small enough to only make a minor bulge in your pocket! It does have to press kinda hard to stay on.

The design just involves about 48" of flexible wiring (I used 14 AWG), put four holes in each cup (two on one side, and two across from them) and another hole for the cable somewhere, thread the wiring through the holes twice (which leaves two bands of two wires each), thread a co-axial or speaker cable-length through the holes (leaving an end in both cups), do the soldering, put in the pads, and caulk the rest (cover the drivers with a few remaining lengths of the wire).

Feb 17, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #5 of 17
read up on the ortho thread..most of us have made our own versions of ortho headphones using the SFI drivers..I am currently working on my second and third pair..Duggeh..can't wait to see those uber ghetto headphones in some nice wooden housings..they should sound fantastic..far out man

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #7 of 17
I went the lazy/easy route, putting on my JVC Marshmallows, then using muffs over my ears. The combo works very well in a very noisy environment, one that requires hearing protection. The main drawback is that it makes normal conversation nearly impossible, even with the music turned off.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moontan13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went the lazy/easy route, putting on my JVC Marshmallows, then using muffs over my ears. The combo works very well in a very noisy environment, one that requires hearing protection. The main drawback is that it makes normal conversation nearly impossible, even with the music turned off.

I did something similar with a pair of shooting muffs, took them both apart, and put all of the dampening into one of them, and then put the housings together (so it was two layers of plastic/whatever with two headbands clamping over twice the dampening material))

no idea what kind of isolation it provided, but I couldn't hear a damned thing, including my stereo system at nearly max out (I could feel the walls shaking a bit, and my dog was quite displeased with me)

I might have to re-try that experiment with my C751k's, mostly out of boredom, now that you've mentioned this

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PRAISE FOR THE MIGHTY 3 YEAR BUMP!

Indeed!
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #13 of 17
That project has long been and gone. Do a forum search for Phonodome. Although the pictures are likely all gone now. It was basically a couple of home cinema speakers mounted up with cardboard and coathanger wire.

Then I did a surround sound headphone that used four of those drivers mounted around a crash helmet. That sucker was heavy. Sounded alright though for what it was, moar bass even than the Sennheiser Surrounder.

I'm finished also with the project after that, which was the Orthodome. 5 made, #1 is with my dad, #2 is floating around head-fi somewhere, #3 is going to swt61 and #4 is my one. All of them slightly different designs of an SFI ortho driver in a Goldring Dr-series housing. I also made another with a Stax SR-3n housing. Thats floating around head-fi somewhere too.

Now I'm working on a Heil AMT headphone. It will use the drivers from the Precide Ergo AMT and have a purpose built wood housing in conjunction with some Stax parts like the Lambda series earpads.

Feb 17, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #15 of 17
Those SFI headphones look pretty sweet. Wish I had the balls and extra cash to try it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back