Home recording software: Pro Tools vs Adobe Audition
Feb 28, 2006 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

enjoi_rootbeer

500+ Head-Fier
i'm getting back into home recordings and looking for opinions on either of these software. i've been using a fostex cassette recorder(cassettes are DEAD! j/k), but i recently built a new computer and want to fully take advantage. i've been looking at these two for some time and i could use some other opinions. any thoughts on hardware/other software are welcome as well.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 8
Pro Tools is an AMAZING program - there's a reason why it's an industry standard. The amount of things you can do in Pro Tools is mind-boggling. That said, it's EXPENSIVE!!! If that's what you want to use, I hope you're willing to plunk down the $500 on an MBox, because the Pro Tools software won't launch without that MBox attached to the computer. (The MBox comes bundled with Pro Tools LE.)

If you want a more cost-effective alternative, look into Audacity. Me, I'm a GarageBand user, but ya gotta have a mac for that
wink.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #3 of 8
ProTools is great, but only if you use compatable hardware. Does not work with other stuff.

Try Sonar 4 Studio, for the same general price. Audacity is wonderful (being free and all) but is about as featured as dirt.

homerecording.com/bbs

Check it out. Recording is a massave can of worms.

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by enjoi_rootbeer
thanks for the replys...are there any that are cross platform? i was hoping to work between OS X and windows.
580smile.gif

Well, you could but Ii believe that would require buying two copies of whatever program you plan on using, and that is going to be expensive.

Most midrange DAW's will let you export files to different formats, but they usually are a little garbled and the inputs and outputs are all messed up. Generally it is too much of a hassle. This would only be if you have two different programs to move between. If you got protools for mac and for PC, it would work beautifully.

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 8
Protools is a great DAW. It's FULL of features. But, to get the full functionality of Protools, I'd also go get the available hardware for it. But... Money is a problem
rolleyes.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 8
I am not doing any major recording projects as of yet, but for the recordings I have to do for my band or for my classes, Audacity serves me fine. I like the fact that it's open source. It provides you with a pretty ordinary set of applications, and the user-made patches are great. The only problem is that the actual mastering/editing features of Audacity are slightly weak, so you have to do your best to get the actual recordings sounding their best via the recording hardware/equipment to get the best results.

It's a small hastle, but it's well worth the fact that it's totally free and fully-functional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back