home office system: DAC & other comp's questions
Sep 29, 2009 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

holala

New Head-Fier
Hello experts,

I'm thinking about setting up a decent system for the home office (both headphones and 100W(do I need 100W?
smily_headphones1.gif
) class A amp + speakers).
The idea is to use PC as a main sound-source, DAC like abrahamsen v6 or Hegel HD10 S/PDIF-USB. Source analog output to head phone amp (one of Woo Audio's) and to normal tube amp like Einstein Audio Light in the Dark.

Don't want to spend stupid money on the whole thing, price for tube amp about 10K USD looks ok, more than that - hmmm
wink.gif
so, no more than 50K on the setup.

Would really appreciate advices on the matching components (DAC's, cables, speakers, etc). Music format: jazz, electronics, rock/metal.

Got Marantz PM7200 amp + B&W DM603S3 speakers. Thinking about changing them as well.

Thanks!

Oct 1, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #2 of 6
if your serious about that much money, why not focus on a speaker site this is mainly headphone fair and 50k would be hard.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Custom Buffalo Sabre 32 DAC tricked out in Dual Mono is prob. the best DAC you're money could buy. A lot of you $$ could be allocated to a few specific Headphones for different types of music, K1000s, Stax, HD800s, etc. I'd also recommend a couple of high end headphone amps like balanced beta 22 or a RSA B52 for tubes. Maggies for speakers would be a good recommendation. That should still leave room in your budget for a massive audio library and some sweet ergonomic furnishings. Good luck, enjoy spending your budget! Hard to buy crap with that kind of $$.

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 6
How about spending $5K on a nice setup and giving $45K to charity....

sorry but this phrase:

"Don't want to spend stupid money on the whole thing, price for tube amp about 10K USD looks ok, more than that - hmmm so, no more than 50K on the setup."

makes me want to puke..

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about spending $5K on a nice setup and giving $45K to charity....

sorry but this phrase:

"Don't want to spend stupid money on the whole thing, price for tube amp about 10K USD looks ok, more than that - hmmm so, no more than 50K on the setup."

makes me want to puke..

maybe he already donated 45k to charity. how bout you go donate to charity? everything is relative. most people not in this hobby would think it's dumb to spend over $100 in headphones and would say the same thing to anyone spending $500 on a setup. telling someone how sick they are for whatever their allotted budget on a hi end audio site is kind of ridiculous.

Oct 9, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gochuckster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Custom Buffalo Sabre 32 DAC tricked out in Dual Mono is prob. the best DAC you're money could buy. A lot of you $$ could be allocated to a few specific Headphones for different types of music, K1000s, Stax, HD800s, etc. I'd also recommend a couple of high end headphone amps like balanced beta 22 or a RSA B52 for tubes. Maggies for speakers would be a good recommendation. That should still leave room in your budget for a massive audio library and some sweet ergonomic furnishings. Good luck, enjoy spending your budget! Hard to buy crap with that kind of $$.

Maggies is an interesting suggestion. But I haven't seen European dealers on their website...
Custom DAC - mmm, I'm not into DIY audio hardware, would definitely like "boxed" version.
thanks!
PS as for charity remarks - it is definitely out of scope of this board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back