Home-Made IEMs
Jun 29, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #46 of 15,945
RIP
So young, so much promise, in their prime so to speak.

Did you use separate flux? If not I think it would make it easier to make these sensitive solder joints.

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #47 of 15,945
Quote:

Originally Posted by elliot42 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An unfortunate accident... they shall be remembered.

Soldiers in the cause. Their replacements are on the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RIP. So young, so much promise, in their prime so to speak. Did you use separate flux? If not I think it would make it easier to make these sensitive solder joints.

I didn't use separate flux or even a decent soldering iron (Thank you, Radio Shack). I committed $76 worth of freshman mistakes, forgetting that soldering has to be practiced, and executed with care. Fortunately, things went better with the other two, so I now have one ear of a triple-driver IEM. While I wait for the other drivers to arrive, I'm going to shift focus to wiring and molding.

I've got two ways I can go with the cables. There are two strategies for using detachable cables. One is to simply go with a right angle 2.5mm jack/plug. They're fairly inexpensive and the use of it in this fashion creates a nice swivel. The other is to do the two-prong thing, ready for a high-end replacement cable. I like this latter approach because it leaves the smallest footprint. The problem is that it's harder to find a two-prong female receptor that fits.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #52 of 15,945
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdupiano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Bill, is there a possibility of taking SUPER UBER ULTRA close up shots of the soldering pad? I would actually suggest using SMT soldering techniques, no microtip needed. I would recommend a good tip for smt soldering + Low melting point solder. and possibly use the same guage wire as they do for tone arms.

Now that I have better magnification, I should be able to provide better close-up shots. Thanks for the tips, no pun intended. That could make all the difference when I make the next run.

Jun 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #53 of 15,945
SMT technique definitely. Lots of flux, a little dab of solder on the end of the iron tip and then just touch it to the joint and viola!
beerchug.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #55 of 15,945
Quote:

Originally Posted by younglee200 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was always wondering how JH audio got to fit 6 drivers into their new IEM.

Anyways, a great thread! I hope it goes well.

I wonder if they use some sort of "breakout board"
I have seen it before in other in-ears where the crossover circuit is made using an IC of some sort (or even just resistors and caps) on a tiny circuit board and then have the drivers in a right-angle configuration on a solder pad. So if that's how JH did it, you could "tie" the drivers together based on configurations like:

Code:

Code:
[left] -------- 2 tweeters on same solder pad source -> crossover --| -------- 2 mids on same pad -------- 2 lows on same pad[/left]

I don't know their combination of drivers but you get the idea

Jul 1, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #56 of 15,945
One of the unexpected benefits of the recent soldering disaster is the discovery of a worthy source of drivers: Newark. It turns out that, on the TWFK, Newark has the item back-ordered but charges $16 less per driver than Mouser. A $32 savings in costs of materials is nothing to sneeze at. Go, Newark!

I've also run across a rival to Knowles Acoustics: Star Micronics, maker of the RBB-O4A/O4B/O4C/O4D/O4F-PS drivers. Of these, the B,D and F series look like the best matches for hi-fi audio, with impedences of 33 for the B and F, and 15.5 for the D. But the proof is always in the pudding. Has anybody heard any of these drivers? Only the C and F actually have "spouts." I'm not sure they're an actual improvement over KA so, for now, I'll probably stick with Knowles Acoustics.

UPDATE 7/1/09

The replacement parts have arrived. Time to get back to work.

Jul 2, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #58 of 15,945
NEW ISSUE HEADPHONE CABLE

I'm looking for the best reasonably-priced solution to the cable question. Does anybody have any suggestions about where to go to get the best bang-for-the-buck in replacement cable so the earphone wires look professional?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back