Home-Made IEMs
Sep 12, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #13,321 of 15,945
Can you share your stl of the 100 mm tube that we look at how you positioned it? the parameters. printing are very important also depending on the resin you used. Otherwise there are 0.5mm silicone tubes it seems to me that I have already bought some.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #13,322 of 15,945
Hey mate!
I'm by no means an expert, please keep that in mind.
From my experience, printed tubes tend to fail more and more the smaller your ID gets. Plus, if you're trying to do some kind of rollercoaster printings you might have to perfect every aspect of your settings.
Does it really have to be 0.5mm ID? Because if not, a little release on that pressure button will definitely get you there.
I tried 1mm ID which cleared well, but that wasn't suitable for the sound, as it just made stuff muddy. It really needs to be this size

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #13,323 of 15,945
Can you share your stl of the 100 mm tube that we look at how you positioned it? the parameters. printing are very important also depending on the resin you used. Otherwise there are 0.5mm silicone tubes it seems to me that I have already bought some.
Sorry can't share the STL. It's a long tube with many curves though. Identical one printed fine in 1mm ID and with 0.5mm I can see the liquid resin inside, it prints fine as well but I just cannot flush it.

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #13,325 of 15,945
Can you clear the resin with a single strand of wire, then follow with alchohol soaked thread?
Good idea, but it's bent way too much

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #13,327 of 15,945
This is integral in a shell, right? Syringe to pull a vacuum through the tube? You can try to suck alchohol through it.
Yes. Tried that as well

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #13,328 of 15,945
Sorry can't share the STL. It's a long tube with many curves though. Identical one printed fine in 1mm ID and with 0.5mm I can see the liquid resin inside, it prints fine as well but I just cannot flush it.
Personally I make 3D shell with integrated tube with coil of several centimeters. I had some plugged tubes at the beginning so I change my printing parameters and it’s better, I also use ultrasonic cleaning in an ISO alcohol bath.

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #13,329 of 15,945
Personally I make 3D shell with integrated tube with coil of several centimeters. I had some plugged tubes at the beginning so I change my printing parameters and it’s better, I also use ultrasonic cleaning in an ISO alcohol bath.
That sounds cool, what ID does your long tube have?

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #13,331 of 15,945
Hello, how do I determine which frequencies a driver is best suited for? I am trying to build my first CIEM, but I am not sure which drivers to choose. I am currently considering the SWFK-31736 for the tweeter and the HODVTEC-31618 for the woofer but I am not sure if I should choose a driver dedicated to the mids. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can I use software like vituixCAD to get a rough idea of the frequency response of the completed IEM?

Sep 16, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #13,334 of 15,945
This is my first post.
I did a lot of testing to make an IEM.

I am currently considering the SWFK-31736 for the tweeter and the HODVTEC-31618 for the woofer but I am not sure if I should choose a driver dedicated to the mids.
If you don't add a mid, you may get a dip at 2k-3kHz. This can result in loss of sound transparency.
However, 3WAY IEMs are difficult to adjust. The units affect each other electrically and mechanically. In other words, the damper attached to the woofer also affects the tweeter. The difficulty level is different between 2WAY and 3WAY. 2WAY is recommended for the first production.

Also, can I use software like vituixCAD to get a rough idea of the frequency response of the completed IEM?
In order to measure the frequency characteristics, it is good to have a personal computer, a microphone, a PVC tube, and a kneaded eraser.
Use a kneaded eraser to fill the gap between the unit or IEM and the PVC tube.
I am using REW for measurement.
It does not give exactly the correct measurements, but it can be compared to other IEMs. I think you can make the measurements you need.

I haven't been allowed to post photos yet.:sob:

Sep 16, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #13,335 of 15,945
Hello everyone.
I learned a lot from this forum and made an IEM.
I am grateful to everyone who shared a lot of knowledge.

I'm not good at English, so I use google translate. I'm sorry if there is strange English.

I did a lot of experiments, tests, measurements and auditions to make an IEM.
The model version of the IEM is 12, and I'm finally proud of the IEM I like.

I made it as follows.

1) Create impressions.
2) 3D scan with iphone (Trnio).
3) Mold the 3D model with meshmixer.
4) Create a part to attach the face plate with FUSION 360 and convert it to STL.
5) Synthesize the impressions model and the face plate model with meshmixer.
6) Design the sound path part with FUSION 360 and subtract it from the external model.
7) Design the face plate with FUSION 360.
8) Print the model with a 3D printer (ELEGOO MARS 2 Pro).
9) Lacquer the printed material.
10) Adjust the network and damper while incorporating the unit and performing measurement (REW).
11) Make a face plate, cover the IEM and it's done!

model: IEM-012 is 10BA. All units are from langzhisheng (AliExpress).

EJ-30029 x 1 (≒ CI-22955 x 2) + Red Dumper (2200 ohm)
4.7uF + FWEK-31785 x 1 (≒ DWFK-31785 x 2) + Brown dumper (1000ohm) x 2
0.68uF + FWEK-31718 x 1 (≒ SWFK-31736 x 2)

I am using Rubycon PMLCAP for the capacitor. SMD type small film capacitor.
The sound is very clear. I have the illusion that my ears have improved. The treble (6kHz and above) is weak in the frequency response measurement, but it doesn't hurt because of that. I like the KZ ZAX and ZAS sounds, but the IEM-012 sounds better than them.
Since the impedance is low (10 ohm), a high-performance amplifier is required. A small amount of electrical noise becomes a sound. Also, the output impedance of the amplifier must be low enough. I am using the voltage follower circuit of THS4631.

The face plate can be replaced. I made different designs of faceplates using various techniques. I can exchange it depending on the mood of the day.

I have done a lot of experiments so I have gained experience and knowledge. I would like to share that experience with you.

s_IMG_8279.jpg

Sunburst!
s_IMG_8470.jpg

The Metal
s_IMG_8581.jpg

Aurora
s_IMG_8583.jpg

Racing
s_IEM-012.jpg

IEM-012 Frequency characteristic
s_IEM-012_imp.jpg

IEM-012 Impedance characteristics
s_iem_012BA v9.jpg

IEM-012 Sound path design
s_IMG_8573.jpg

Inside IEM-012. I use a kneaded eraser.
s_IMG_8587.jpg

Various IEMs(1DD+2BA,1DD+7BA,8BA,6BA etc...)
s_IMG_8585.jpg

Replaceable face plate
s_IMG_8588.jpg

Jigs and microphones for testing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back