Home-Made IEMs
Aug 20, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #13,232 of 15,945
Well, I ordered an anycubic photon zero for $99 shipped, so I guess I'll start figuring out 3d resin printing. Probably start with small basic models, like DD to tube adapters, or multi BA to tube adapters. Wish me luck. Anyone have some simple models like that already made?

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #13,233 of 15,945
Well, I ordered an anycubic photon zero for $99 shipped, so I guess I'll start figuring out 3d resin printing. Probably start with small basic models, like DD to tube adapters, or multi BA to tube adapters. Wish me luck. Anyone have some simple models like that already made?
I have modeled some shells for different folks here. I can share em if you'd like.

Aug 21, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #13,234 of 15,945
ALRIGHT! Divisive question time... What, in your opinion as a custom IEM builder, is the ideal strategy for securely mounting / assembling smd components within the shell? (ie PCB's, free float them, glued to acrylic, glued pcb to interior of the shell, soldiering them directly to the connector, soldering them to the driver itself, etc.)

Aug 21, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #13,235 of 15,945
ALRIGHT! Divisive question time... What, in your opinion as a custom IEM builder, is the ideal strategy for securely mounting / assembling smd components within the shell? (ie PCB's, free float them, glued to acrylic, glued pcb to interior of the shell, soldiering them directly to the connector, soldering them to the driver itself, etc.)
I do soldering to the socket, and in between wires then attached to the shell. I stopped soldering them directly to the driver.

Aug 21, 2021 at 5:53 AM Post #13,236 of 15,945
I have modeled some shells for different folks here. I can share em if you'd like.
Ah so I guess this shell from Thingiverse is from you? It's the one I'm using right now and it's great. I, too, would be interested in another design from you, because I'm not really capable of creating one on my own as of now. I was able to add a socket for a 0.78mm plug to your design yesterday. These 3D printers are such a nice tool to work with.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #13,237 of 15,945
Ah so I guess this shell from Thingiverse is from you? It's the one I'm using right now and it's great. I, too, would be interested in another design from you, because I'm not really capable of creating one on my own as of now. I was able to add a socket for a 0.78mm plug to your design yesterday. These 3D printers are such a nice tool to work with.
Yup! That's mine! How do you like them? Isn't it too small for your builds?

I'll try too look for the other stuff I made. Here's also one I made.

Lemme know if you guys want it.

1629539964278.png

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #13,238 of 15,945
Get nfep film my friend, makes your life easier

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:36 AM Post #13,239 of 15,945
Btw I have a shitton of premium 2 pins if anyone needs some. I get them bulk at a better price than soundlink

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #13,240 of 15,945
Yup! That's mine! How do you like them? Isn't it too small for your builds?

I'll try too look for the other stuff I made. Here's also one I made.

Lemme know if you guys want it.

1629539964278.png
It's a very good shell. I can fit three BAs easily, while two of them are on the bigger side. I do have to arrange everything beforehand and put a bit of thought into the BA placement though. For example, my 38D1XJ will be on the bottom, facing away from the nozzle. The tube will make a 90° turn in total, so that I can fit a longer one, about 32mm in length.
Maybe the best thing is the diameter of the nozzle. It fits 2x 2mm ID tube and a 1mm ID tube quite nicely! That's such a relief from the Soundlink ones.
That design of yours looks like it has a bit more space inside? I want it please. ^^

Aug 21, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #13,242 of 15,945
3D printers are amazing. I recently got the Anycubic Photon Mono and it's such a handy tool! There is only a tiny bit of fine tuning left and I can finally assemble my first 3D printed IEM.
The canal at the bottom is helpful to release the stress on the connection from the BA to the tube and makes sure that the tube never gets kinked. The 0.78mm socket is a really tight fit. I'm all in all more than happy with this outcome. This printer gets an A+ from me.
masmshellv2.jpg

Aug 21, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #13,243 of 15,945
3D printers are amazing. I recently got the Anycubic Photon Mono and it's such a handy tool! There is only a tiny bit of fine tuning left and I can finally assemble my first 3D printed IEM.
The canal at the bottom is helpful to release the stress on the connection from the BA to the tube and makes sure that the tube never gets kinked. The 0.78mm socket is a really tight fit. I'm all in all more than happy with this outcome. This printer gets an A+ from me.
masmshellv2.jpg
What resin do you use? Looks super clean. I'm using Siraya BLU for toughness but might switch again, as it is unnecessary too tough...long story short: I glued a driver in I needed back and ended up dremeling it open after cracking it open with driving my car over it failed lmao. Even the Dremel needed quite some time to get through, I used a diamond tool...

Aug 21, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #13,244 of 15,945

Wow...you should put in a 5mm woofer for bass, 3 BAs for L-M-H, 2 Piezo-electric drivers for Dog-Highs and Alien-Highs, and fused 7mm-diameter-planar-magnetic-and-electrostatic-wafer-driver to bring everything altogether. :)

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #13,245 of 15,945
What resin do you use? Looks super clean. I'm using Siraya BLU for toughness but might switch again, as it is unnecessary too tough...long story short: I glued a driver in I needed back and ended up dremeling it open after cracking it open with driving my car over it failed lmao. Even the Dremel needed quite some time to get through, I used a diamond tool...
It's just Elegoo Standard Photopolymer Resin and it's definitely not the toughest. For a shell though it's perfectly fine. Your resin sounds amazing for other projects, I'm putting it on my list. That and some diamond tools I guess. ^^

Wow...you should put in a 5mm woofer for bass, 3 BAs for L-M-H, 2 Piezo-electric drivers for Dog-Highs and Alien-Highs, and fused 7mm-diameter-planar-magnetic-and-electrostatic-wafer-driver to bring everything altogether. :)
That might be a little bit too crowded in the shell. I'd have to extend the shell quite a bit to fit all that! :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back