Home-Made IEMs
Aug 9, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #13,178 of 15,974
These were posted once in this thread , i dont know if the stl files have boon posted

Attachments

• Darwin_1_web.jpg
    Darwin_1_web.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Darwin_2_web.jpg
    Darwin_2_web.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 0
Aug 9, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #13,180 of 15,974
Anyone got a trick for increasing HF extension (increasing whole 10khz+ range) while tuning DDs?

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:28 AM Post #13,182 of 15,974
For lake 3 varnish, I had already posted a manipulation and personally we do not need daerographe, it is a self-smoothing varnish. I lay two successive coats with a brush, there may be some bubble that we chase with the brush. Then we turn without UV about 10 minutes to soften the varnish and turn on the UV for 2 to 10 minutes depending on the machine you use. I have two machines one with a tube and the other with LEDs. It takes 1 minute to harden with the LED machine but it tends to turn yellow because it burns hard. The a.tube is longer but does not yellow. I guarantee that the finish is smooth is flawless mirror

Aug 10, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #13,183 of 15,974
I use an umik usb measurement microphone and RoomEqWizard. But I have not found a way to make these waterfall impulse response graphs - they are best to measure soundstage as you can see the impulse response over different frequencies at one glance.
A bit late reply, but what does soundstage look like in waterfall measurements?

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:22 AM Post #13,184 of 15,974
A bit late reply, but what does soundstage look like in waterfall measurements?

The brain determines the position of a sound source by three methods:

1) Timing of the sound arriving at your ear.
Left/Right/Distance is determined by the minute delay between left and right ear (a sound from the left arrives earlier at the left ear) and also between high/low frequencies (higher frequencies travel faster and so they arrive earlier than low frequencies if the sound is coming from far away).
This method can determine left/right and distance but not up/down or front/back

2) Directional absorption characteristics of your body

Your upper body, your outer ear and inner ear all absorb frequencies different depending on the direction the sound is coming from. Your outer ear filters frequencies coming from behind and reflects (increases) frequencies coming from the front.
This is the main method to determine front/back or top/bottom.

3) Change in sound after tilting your head
If you hear something and want to pinpoint the source you instinctively tilt your head to get a more precise location.

Number 3) is rarely addressed in headphones/IEMs as you would need a head tracker for that and 3D sound information. Maybe that Atmos will develop into something like that in the future.

Number 2) is very dependent on the body of the listener. Usually binaural setups or digital effects simulate simple body models that are good enough.
Most music is mixed to be played on speakers, where your body affects the sound as the sound is coming from speakers in front of you. With headphones only your ear influences the sound (which is why most modern headphones have angled drivers) but with IEM you don’t even have that and you have to rely on it being mixed into the music you’re listening to.

So we’re left with number 1), timing accuracy. And that you can see on the waterfall chart (to some extent)

Aug 11, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #13,185 of 15,974
The brain determines the position of a sound source by three methods:

1) Timing of the sound arriving at your ear.
Left/Right/Distance is determined by the minute delay between left and right ear (a sound from the left arrives earlier at the left ear) and also between high/low frequencies (higher frequencies travel faster and so they arrive earlier than low frequencies if the sound is coming from far away).
This method can determine left/right and distance but not up/down or front/back

2) Directional absorption characteristics of your body

Your upper body, your outer ear and inner ear all absorb frequencies different depending on the direction the sound is coming from. Your outer ear filters frequencies coming from behind and reflects (increases) frequencies coming from the front.
This is the main method to determine front/back or top/bottom.

3) Change in sound after tilting your head
If you hear something and want to pinpoint the source you instinctively tilt your head to get a more precise location.

Number 3) is rarely addressed in headphones/IEMs as you would need a head tracker for that and 3D sound information. Maybe that Atmos will develop into something like that in the future.

Number 2) is very dependent on the body of the listener. Usually binaural setups or digital effects simulate simple body models that are good enough.
Most music is mixed to be played on speakers, where your body affects the sound as the sound is coming from speakers in front of you. With headphones only your ear influences the sound (which is why most modern headphones have angled drivers) but with IEM you don’t even have that and you have to rely on it being mixed into the music you’re listening to.

So we’re left with number 1), timing accuracy. And that you can see on the waterfall chart (to some extent)
Thanks for the thorough answer, but my question was, what does it look like on the waterfall chart😄 There's a lot of ways to set graph borders for display too, besides not knowing what it should look like, idk what range to look at either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back