Home-Made IEMs
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #12,211 of 15,910
Hi, i quite don't understand. What do you mean by surfboard? :)

I was talking about the steps of sanding and varnish on resin whether acrylic, polyester or epoxi, it is the same process on surfboards, lutherie, automobiles etc.. IEM simply replicates known finishing techniques in other areas.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #12,212 of 15,910
There is also the solution of soaked entirely the intra in the varnish as do earsonics but I do not recommend it for those who do not often because you have to be sure to have the bores and the connector well waterproof and of course have a closed shell and not ventilated. We can see the manipulation at the end of this video

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #12,214 of 15,910
So I messed up and ended up wasting half of the mold silicone. The syringe I used also had too short of a nozzle.
I used 7g (each) here but next time I'll probably use 5g. I wanted to make a full ear impression (like what 64 audio would require) but it seems too difficult to do by myself.
The place I bought this from said the silicone hardens after 5 mins, but I noticed it only fully hardens after 12 mins or so.
I attached a few pics of the impression. Does it look usable?

DSC06030.JPG

Attachments

• DSC06032.JPG
    DSC06032.JPG
    207 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06033.JPG
    DSC06033.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06034.JPG
    DSC06034.JPG
    207.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06035.JPG
    DSC06035.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 0
Jan 25, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #12,215 of 15,910
So I messed up and ended up wasting half of the mold silicone. The syringe I used also had too short of a nozzle.
I used 7g (each) here but next time I'll probably use 5g. I wanted to make a full ear impression (like what 64 audio would require) but it seems too difficult to do by myself.
The place I bought this from said the silicone hardens after 5 mins, but I noticed it only fully hardens after 12 mins or so.

DSC06030.JPG

These aren't good enough for deep fit. Your canal lacks material. the cymba also look like it's lacking a bit, although you could get away with that. When you take impressions you should make sure that you don't take out the syringe out of your ear canal before the material starts to come out from there. You should insert as much material as you can and then slowly move out.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #12,216 of 15,910
These aren't good enough for deep fit. Your canal lacks material. the cymba also look like it's lacking a bit, although you could get away with that. When you take impressions you should make sure that you don't take out the syringe out of your ear canal before the material starts to come out from there. You should insert as much material as you can and then slowly move out.
Does the syringe have to reach deep into the canal for the material to go in far enough?
The one I'm using has a short (1cm) tip/nozzle.

Jan 26, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #12,217 of 15,910

DSC06030.JPG

Sorry but i don't recomand you to use that. Top of earcanal on impression is not useful. I guess you saw on the you tube a guy who using syringe. Buy from AliExpress original for 11$. Use this impresions only for practice to make final shape and dipping into wax. And that part requires a certain skill trust me! About impression material, you got two components. A and B (activator and base) if you want faster hardnes, use more of A (activator). Maybe I didn't understand you ... If you just need molds to send to Audio 64, go to a hearing aid store and ask them nicely to take your earmolds. At least that's what I did the first time. Good luck 😊

Jan 26, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #12,219 of 15,910
Does the syringe have to reach deep into the canal for the material to go in far enough?
The one I'm using has a short (1cm) tip/nozzle.

Take notes from that vid

Regarding the material hardening time. it also depends on the ambient temperature and how old or new the material is as well as the ratio of mixture.

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #12,220 of 15,910
Sorry but i don't recomand you to use that. Top of earcanal on impression is not useful. I guess you saw on the you tube a guy who using syringe. Buy from AliExpress original for 11$. Use this impresions only for practice to make final shape and dipping into wax. And that part requires a certain skill trust me! About impression material, you got two components. A and B (activator and base) if you want faster hardnes, use more of A (activator). Maybe I didn't understand you ... If you just need molds to send to Audio 64, go to a hearing aid store and ask them nicely to take your earmolds. At least that's what I did the first time. Good luck 😊
Too late to buy anything now...
I modified the syringe to have a 12.8mm nozzle (was 8mm before). Hope it goes better this time.

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #12,221 of 15,910
What is important in the varnish is the preparation of the face. These are not techniques specific to the IEM, it is the basis of the varnishing.

I make surfboards and it is similar to the level of preparation, a gloss will be very beautiful if a topcoat is well sanded and clean.

I varnish with the brush and lake3 only and I do not need to touch up, it is a perfect mirror:

Watch this video of unique Melody, the method is the same:

I see this video every day :)

Jan 28, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #12,223 of 15,910
The 38D1XJ00 after experimenting with low pass filters, the best result I've got was 12 ohm resistor - 100 uf ceramic capacitor and 1mm ID tube , sounded without distortion, boosted sub bass and loud enough. pretty impressive I can say .
I've used
Thin film resistors from Viking - 0.1 % tolerance and ceramic capacitors from murata 7xr 10% tolerance

For the EST65QB02 I've found that 2.2 uf ceramic cap raises the impedance under 10k like a rocket.

What do you suggest for the 2389D for mid pass filter ?
47 uf ceramic cap with white filters and 1.5 mm ID tube ?
Has anyone found the perfect mid pass for the 2389D ?
Brown to green as it is more like ety sort of response we need from it

Jan 29, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #12,224 of 15,910
I'm about to order the materials for the shells of my first ciem, I plan on using gks for drivers, should I use cerumen filters at the end of the tubes? Even looking at the ones made by companies I see that some use them and other (most) don't, is there a reason not to use them? Wouldn't they make maintenance easier? Or is wax buildup not that big of a concern and just cleaning them every once in a while is fine?

Jan 30, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #12,225 of 15,910
Played around with this Sonion 20x53 mystery driver, carefully filed a corner to vent it, now that's looking pretty good for about 7 bucks a pair... no changes between tests other than the vent (and the tube might have moved a little in the tack.)
Sonion 20x53 vented test.jpg

Pic:
20210130_143353.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back