Home-Made IEMs
Sep 30, 2020 at 4:29 AM Post #11,656 of 15,945
Doesn´t suprise me at all, our ears are quite different. The best approach to see what would sound flat to you in my opinion the Griesinger Method with pink noise.

" Using a known flat/accurate loudspeaker positioned in front and up close (to minimize room effects), alter the loudness of pink noise at different frequencies (every one-third of an octave) until they sound similarly loud to a pink noise at a reference frequency (500Hz). Repeat for the whole audioband. Then repeat for headphones. "
What kind of budget am I looking at for a test like this? Cuz I don't think I have anything resembling accurate loudspeakers. I'd love to get some anyway so I have an excuse to throw parties in my neighborhood.

Edit: I am probably the most boring neighbor that my neighborhood could ask for.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 5:02 AM Post #11,657 of 15,945
What kind of budget am I looking at for a test like this? Cuz I don't think I have anything resembling accurate loudspeakers. I'd love to get some anyway so I have an excuse to throw parties in my neighborhood.
Uhh good question. I am in the lucky position that i have a friend with a home studio and measured in monitor speakers. But guess for 200-300 €/$ you can get a nice pair of studio monitors.
Edit:
A quick internet research shows me that the Yamaha HS 8 are in quite a few best of lists in the top ranks. And with roughly 280€/$ affordable

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #11,659 of 15,945
Sounds like I should learn to install a speaker setup before even considering the idea of a homemade IEM.

I can't imagine producing anything other than garbage if I don't even know what kind of signature I'm aiming for.
Does it need to be super flat for you? Do you want to use your IEM as actual monitors? If not don´t worry about neutrality or flatness just tune them like you want them. You said you allready had a response that sounded good for you use that.

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #11,660 of 15,945
Does it need to be super flat for you? Do you want to use your IEM as actual monitors? If not don´t worry about neutrality or flatness just tune them like you want them. You said you allready had a response that sounded good for you use that.
Well I'm not making music so I assume the answer is no.

I think what I tend to like is either neutral with a bass boost, V that favors bass over treble, ditto for U or slightly dark (or maybe it's called N shape, I'm not sure if there are more formal names for these), the first which is what I seem to EQ to apparently this kind of signature is found on the Thieaudio Clairvoyance. I wonder if anyone with either owns that IEM, owns something with a similar signature or anyone has aimed for that signature before. Hopefully ESTs aren't actually required as they cost over $100 a pair on their own, is just the overall signature I'm after.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #11,661 of 15,945
Sounds like I should learn to install a speaker setup before even considering the idea of a homemade IEM.

I can't imagine producing anything other than garbage if I don't even know what kind of signature I'm aiming for.
Rinse and repeat bro, rinse n repeat.

Been doin that for a year. Build anything that u want, u will pick up the know-how along the way.

If possible, get a pair of neutral iem such as etymotics. U will need them to reset ur perception. Doing diy iem may screw up ur taste. Also to serve as a reference.

Boi, claivoryance, gettin that bass shelf is a trial in itself. About est, its possible. Actually est almost doesnt shows up on FR. Est make does its magic when listened by ears, its not really good at braggin on FR, BA & planar is better at that. EST is barely visible on FR.

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #11,662 of 15,945
HODVTEC (internal series) L-pad 4.7obm series parallel yellow
ED29689 - green damper - 22ohm series

HODVTEC tube as long as you can fit
ED29689 10mm with green damper at 8mm

The most simple Bass shelf + diffuse feild iem

If you wanna do complex, that can be done too

HODVTEC as above

Sonion 33AJ007(internal series)
10uF 47ohm RC high pass
Red damoer at 10mm
14mm tube
Adjust electrical connection to adjust phase
Technically reverse phase.

ED29689 CT
2.2uF High pass
14mm tube
Green damper at 10mm
Again reverse phase or just check phase in FR graph

WBFK as per taste
Quick question..did you mean to say 10UF/47 ohm LOW PASS filter for the sonion 33? You have the Dtec handling sub bass and the ED and wbfk for treble if necessary, so I am assuming you meant to say low pass....working on this over the weekend.

Oct 2, 2020 at 12:47 AM Post #11,663 of 15,945
Quick question..did you mean to say 10UF/47 ohm LOW PASS filter for the sonion 33? You have the Dtec handling sub bass and the ED and wbfk for treble if necessary, so I am assuming you meant to say low pass....working on this over the weekend.
It's high pass
We need it for 100Hz to 1khz
Crossing with the 10uF and 47ohm highpass provide the crosspoint to be at 333Hz nearby

When properly phased with woofer, this region will uplift and provide ruler flat 100Hz to 1kHz

Plus dtec fundamental mids sound awesome if you take away the subbass from it and let HODVTEC do it instead

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #11,664 of 15,945
Well I'm not making music so I assume the answer is no.

I think what I tend to like is either neutral with a bass boost, V that favors bass over treble, ditto for U or slightly dark (or maybe it's called N shape, I'm not sure if there are more formal names for these), the first which is what I seem to EQ to apparently this kind of signature is found on the Thieaudio Clairvoyance. I wonder if anyone with either owns that IEM, owns something with a similar signature or anyone has aimed for that signature before. Hopefully ESTs aren't actually required as they cost over $100 a pair on their own, is just the overall signature I'm after.
Owned 40 iems which sounds like that
Made myself

The biggest issue is that I feel the crossover aint superior to actually take out the best of the tonality
It's a bass-mids(uppermids too on same driver)-treble

But with those driver and a bit of work, this could have been bass - mids -uppermids - treble

To make it sound more effortless and less distortive plus a higher power headroom

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #11,669 of 15,945
It's high pass
We need it for 100Hz to 1khz
Crossing with the 10uF and 47ohm highpass provide the crosspoint to be at 333Hz nearby

When properly phased with woofer, this region will uplift and provide ruler flat 100Hz to 1kHz

Plus dtec fundamental mids sound awesome if you take away the subbass from it and let HODVTEC do it instead
Here is the schematic for the Heavy 2 version.....I kept the 22 Ohm resistor originally on the ED and used the 2.2 Uf Cap as described to get the high pass. Let me know if I've missed anything, particularly on the polarity....I reversed the ED.
heavy 2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back