Home-Made IEMs
Sep 24, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #11,596 of 15,945
This is great! How did you manage to seal the tube with the coupler? Mind sharing? :)
I 3D printed a part I designed that accepts a 1.5mm outer diameter, 1mm inner diameter tube, then I used blue tack to seal the part to the coupler. I am using the Vibro Labs Veritas, so it’s not an actual IEC711 coupler, but it’s good enough for initial measurements. I should buy a proper coupler off Taobao or AliExpress though.

Is this an adequate coupler? Or should I be looking for a different one?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #11,598 of 15,945
What is a crossover configuration - low pass for cl and hi-pass for twfk? Or cl - low pass and twfk full range, or cl - full range and twfk hi-pass?
Search for "scary" build and also piotrus-g. It's his design....it has everything necessary for the build. It does take a larger shell so it isn't suitable for small ears. I also can't stress enough this is a hard build that requires skill. That being said, it is my favorite build so far..plenty of bass with a large stage and excellent seperation.

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #11,599 of 15,945
Sep 24, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #11,600 of 15,945
What is a crossover configuration - low pass for cl and hi-pass for twfk? Or cl - low pass and twfk full range, or cl - full range and twfk hi-pass?
CI 22955
Use resistor like 20ohms or more
Add dual Yellow at center
16mm tube 2mm ID

TWFK
470nF to WBFK
White damper at center
16mm tube

Taobao don't sell anymore and sell the coupler for 800$ on aliexpress
Shiet

About me using no software or calculator or even coupler
Is practice. I use standard crossover set for most of my diy build and swap between drivers(until or unless its a special build)

I used to make hearing aids for social service and at that time I used to have coupler

Sep 24, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #11,601 of 15,945
Search for "scary" build and also piotrus-g. It's his design....it has everything necessary for the build. It does take a larger shell so it isn't suitable for small ears. I also can't stress enough this is a hard build that requires skill. That being said, it is my favorite build so far..plenty of bass with a large stage and excellent seperation.
Its advanced level for sure
It needs a shell where you can put dual CI

The best part about that build is that even though its standard V shape

The Subbass CI actually helps in whole detail and subbass retention

And I feel its better than FIBAE 4 (@piotrus-g ...).. But thats my take and take it as a grain of salt

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #11,602 of 15,945
Its advanced level for sure
It needs a shell where you can put dual CI

The best part about that build is that even though its standard V shape

The Subbass CI actually helps in whole detail and subbass retention

And I feel its better than FIBAE 4 (@piotrus-g ...).. But thats my take and take it as a grain of salt
Do you mean to use a single CL? And with dual CL may I use a same 20ohm and some how dampen one with acoustic filters and let a second CL run full range?

Also I’m interesting in Sonion build with parts I mentioned few posts earlier - 38d1xj007 as a sub bass(do I need to low pass it since it has accuphase?), 38AJ00 7Mi/8a - as woofer( here I believe need to make a low pass filter?) and 2389 as full range(without any electronic filter or with simple hi pass?) and icing on cake - quad est with hi pass around 13khz. Does a 2389 need to have a low pass to combine with est? It seems to me this driver has a natural slope from about 7-8khz.

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #11,603 of 15,945
Do you mean to use a single CL? And with dual CL may I use a same 20ohm and some how dampen one with acoustic filters and let a second CL run full range?

Also I’m interesting in Sonion build with parts I mentioned few posts earlier - 38d1xj007 as a sub bass(do I need to low pass it since it has accuphase?), 38AJ00 7Mi/8a - as woofer( here I believe need to make a low pass filter?) and 2389 as full range(without any electronic filter or with simple hi pass?) and icing on cake - quad est with hi pass around 13khz. Does a 2389 need to have a low pass to combine with est? It seems to me this driver has a natural slope from about 7-8khz.
it is a CI(i for intelligent) and not CL
38D1XJ is the best subwoofer and also make implementing subwoofer very easy
use a 37 or a 33 as a woofer or midband pass

Sep 24, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #11,605 of 15,945
Another noob question. Would it be possible to put together a 4 way 1DD 3BA under $50? And how much lower could it go if it is?
yes
its possible
but you have to ditch Sonion, Bellsing and knowles

you have to get BA from here http://www.china-armature.com/en/product/dt/ and also that too in mass order

then you might be able to produce that 50$ iem

it is more possible as a business stand point but it is currently very hard to do in DIY

Sep 24, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #11,609 of 15,945
They are also buying thousands of pieces at a time, so whatever drivers they're using, they are getting for way less. My estimation, if they sell them for $50 retail, their parts cost is probably less than $12.50.
I forgot the site but I remember the ED29689 going for $23 the unit and 500 units for $6807. So I guess some makers buy the largest bulk they can at one time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back