Home-Made IEMs
Oct 11, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #10,186 of 15,910
Triple stage damping success 1.

Used an ED29689 and a 2mm ID/12mm tube

Used a white near spout, grey at center and grey at end.
Total damper wise is 1340ohms of damping. But it equates to 1510ohms...which is green damper

It sounds better than stock ED29689 + green(etymotic er4 style)

Its less restrictive and has better high end note compared to straight green damper.

Theory in layman is

Its better to have broken road rather than having a pit..

In detail

White damper near spout dampens the ED29689 spout resonance and driver peaks.. Grey damper at center just rolls of a slight and helps in damping tube resonances..

The last damper perfectly dampens the driver... And also dampens the earcanal sound reflection entering iem nozzle..
12mm long tube, hmmm like suitable, I will try it later
IMG_20191011_013407.jpg

Oct 12, 2019 at 2:10 AM Post #10,190 of 15,910
Yes we need a KZ shell 3D scan.... That would be simple game changer

Anyone with a halfway decent camera and a relatively modern computer can do photogrammetry.

Basically you take a whole bunch of pictures at different angles and software stitches them together into a 3d model. And then you have to do some cleanup on that model. Microsoft's free 3d tool for windows 10 does some important stuff, and autodesk's fusion 360 (also free-ish) does some other important stuff. I haven't done it yet.

My research so far suggests that while the "laser" photo scanning systems have a better theoretical basis for a successful scan, at the "less than a hundred bucks invested not including stuff you already own" price point, the laser 3d scanners produce worse results (by a wide margin) than even manual photogrammetry.

Neutral but bass boost from 250Hz is what you need.

ED29689 + Sonion 38D1XJ(subwoofer)

Easy

And will still maintain the 3 driver rule

OK but i want to start with the 3 drivers (per side) that i already physically possess.

Oct 12, 2019 at 2:12 AM Post #10,191 of 15,910
Anyone with a halfway decent camera and a relatively modern computer can do photogrammetry.

Basically you take a whole bunch of pictures at different angles and software stitches them together into a 3d model. And then you have to do some cleanup on that model. Microsoft's free 3d tool for windows 10 does some important stuff, and autodesk's fusion 360 (also free-ish) does some other important stuff. I haven't done it yet.

My research so far suggests that while the "laser" photo scanning systems have a better theoretical basis for a successful scan, at the "less than a hundred bucks invested not including stuff you already own" price point, the laser 3d scanners produce worse results (by a wide margin) than even manual photogrammetry.

OK but i want to start with the 3 drivers (per side) that i already physically possess.
Hmmm

Okay...which drivers you have currently....

Can you write to model numbers...or should I find about it..
Westone 3

CI-22955 and TWFK30017

Lemme see

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 2:26 AM Post #10,192 of 15,910
Hmmm

Okay...which drivers you have currently....

Can you write to model numbers...or should I find about it..
Westone 3

CI-22955 and TWFK30017

Lemme see

I'll take pics tomorrow. I am reasonably certain that i recall that it's a 3-driver module that Knowles offered pre-assembled, and that it's alleged that the crossover network was customized for Westone.

Oct 12, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #10,193 of 15,910
I'll take pics tomorrow. I am reasonably certain that i recall that it's a 3-driver module that Knowles offered pre-assembled, and that it's alleged that the crossover network was customized for Westone.
I know the drivers

They are not custom drivers.. They are standard CI-22955 and TWFK30017.

Westone 30 onwards had custom driver and that's the territory we cannot have..

And the assembly is Knowles GK-31732 with one ordinary damper..

What westone might have done is ditching the crossover by Knowles standard and doing there own way..

We cannot discuss that too..

But what we can do is....if you have drivers intact(no harm)...we can measure the TWFK and CI individually and do a dual damping dual tube for even better control on sound profile..

You are starting from the old era basics.. Hahaha...that's also good...

nowadays, all the member starts from buying drivers..

But back in time, all old timers used to reshell..

I did IE8 reshell into some aliexpress custom shell and had foam inside at the faceplate...so the dynamic back wave can be absorbed...

The result was absurd subbass without any change in all other frequency(slightly less mid bass)

I am also from the old era headfi...when they had iPhone type of look for mobile users

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #10,194 of 15,910
Sooooo....

I removed spouts from my x4 RAB series set + zobel + green damper.

Impressions: almost DD level and quality lows and mids (sweetest mids I've heard from BA so far) but still faster and better resolution of lows, much higher quality than HODVTEC or CI; less distortion; no funny upper-mids resonances, more highs compared to when having spouts on.
While this set up does not have GV's technical delivery or Harman target response it is amusingly musical and has this SLAM!

I hereby name spoutless RABs and RAFs "naked" :)

And the nature of naked RAB/RAF is quite different, I actually see it almost as another driver altogether that extends a bit more and is not as peaky, I would expect improvement in all recipes that utilise these drivers.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 7:54 AM Post #10,195 of 15,910
Sooooo....

I removed spouts from my x4 RAB series set + zobel + green damper.

Impressions: almost DD level and quality lows and mids (sweetest mids I've heard from BA so far) but still faster and better resolution of lows, much higher quality than HODVTEC or CI; less distortion; no funny upper-mids resonances, more highs compared to when having spouts on.
While this set up does not have GV's technical delivery or Harman target response it is amusingly musical and has this SLAM!

I hereby name spoutless RABs and RAFs "naked" :)

And the nature of naked RAB/RAF is quite different, I actually see it almost as another driver altogether that extends a bit more and is not as peaky, I would expect improvement in all recipes that utilise these drivers.
Nice way of removing spout resonances

Oct 12, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #10,197 of 15,910
Hi, guys.

I want to make triple-driver CIEM. I bought drivers - 29689, 22955 and 30095.
Please tell me which crossover circuit to use?
And whether or not to use filters?
I can work on that
What sort of tuning you need

That would be easy
@ericj @BigBublik

Will work on designs tommorow

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2019 at 11:39 PM Post #10,199 of 15,910
I can work on that
What sort of tuning you need

That would be easy
@ericj @BigBublik

Will work on designs tommorow
CI-22955 + 10ohms
Tube = 20mm length / 1mm
Yellow damper at 5mm away from spout
Followed by white damper

ED29689

Crossover
47uF series(high pass)
470nF parallel(low pass)
Resistor damping= 15ohms
Tube = 16mm/1mm
Damper brown near spout

(How to wire it
ED29689 -> parallel cap => series cap=> resistor damping=> mmcx)

WBFK30095
470nF series High pass
13mm/1mm

Grey damper

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back