Home-Made IEMs
Oct 8, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #10,175 of 15,972
OK thanks, what paper you recommend, like grit? And also how do I not damage the underneath layer?

With aluminum you can use any finer grit. I'ld try something like 1200 grit wet sandpaper. After that the surface finish will be pretty dull and you have to go up in grit and then - depending on the surface finish you want to achieve - polish with a specific metal polish like Brasso or Mothers Metal Polish.

I am no expert in working with aluminum, you are probably in the wrong thread if you are looking for one. Most people here are using resin, acrylic, epoxy and the likes.

Oh, and just to state the obvious: It might be better to first try with a scrap anodized aluminum part to see if you like the surface finish you get.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #10,176 of 15,972
I wasn't that much of a fan of the scary, although I agree that its crazy to build.

What are the different colors in you charst?
Different colours on chart.

The first chart is RAB with back exchange....

The chart having lines are variables

In second chart, @Jedrula1 compared the normal stock back tube to back tube + front tube

Oct 9, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #10,177 of 15,972
This is a big intimidating thread even for an oldtimer like me with over 8000 posts.

Have searched a bit but my search terms are lacking, I guess. I apologize for the ask. Giving me an idea what terms to search for would be an acceptable answer.

like 5 years ago i think, I picked up a set of Westone 3 on which one side is missing half the shell and the bit that funnels the nozzles from the 3 drivers into the one output. At the time I thought I'd shell out for customs. I never got around to it.

I do understand that the driver cluster in these is a standard Knowles assembly that was customized for Westone.

These days i have an Anycubic Photon resin printer and i know how to print stuff with it but my 3d design skills are rudimentary. I know i could probably do my own ear impressions and use photogrammetry to get a 3d model and hollow it out, but even just putting these into some aliexpress shells might be a good first step.

I can't even figure out what the eensy bit of plumbing that joins the 3 nozzles is called. Even though i am pretty sure i could sort of design one.

Anybody want to offer a kickstart?

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:13 AM Post #10,178 of 15,972
I can't even figure out what the eensy bit of plumbing that joins the 3 nozzles is called. Even though i am pretty sure i could sort of design one.

You are talking about tubing. AliExpress sells them, the most important to know are the inner diameter (ID) and outer diameter (OD) values. For my Knowles ED 29689 I got a 1mm ID 2mm OD tube. Important to know is also that the tube length will affect the frequency response, and this is one of the ways to tune drivers in IEMs.

Also, you probably want to 3D print a base where all tubings are joined together before going to the nozzle, you can either design this yourself or ask someone here. I did some nozzle design, but my skills are not the best lol.

Oct 9, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #10,179 of 15,972
This is a big intimidating thread even for an oldtimer like me with over 8000 posts.

Have searched a bit but my search terms are lacking, I guess. I apologize for the ask. Giving me an idea what terms to search for would be an acceptable answer.

like 5 years ago i think, I picked up a set of Westone 3 on which one side is missing half the shell and the bit that funnels the nozzles from the 3 drivers into the one output. At the time I thought I'd shell out for customs. I never got around to it.

I do understand that the driver cluster in these is a standard Knowles assembly that was customized for Westone.

These days i have an Anycubic Photon resin printer and i know how to print stuff with it but my 3d design skills are rudimentary. I know i could probably do my own ear impressions and use photogrammetry to get a 3d model and hollow it out, but even just putting these into some aliexpress shells might be a good first step.

What sort of sound you want to have... And what scale of sound.. And how many drivers...

Scale...means stereo width.. I have some iems which reaches open back level of staging

If you liked Westone 3....that means, you need strong bass, dry mids and shimmery metallic treble without much sibilance annoyance.

And the customised Knowles driver was from Westone 30... The old Westone used standard Knowles driver

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #10,180 of 15,972
What sort of sound you want to have... And what scale of sound.. And how many drivers...

Scale...means stereo width.. I have some iems which reaches open back level of staging

If you liked Westone 3....that means, you need strong bass, dry mids and shimmery metallic treble without much sibilance annoyance.

And the customised Knowles driver was from Westone 30... The old Westone used standard Knowles driver

I actually never heard the westone 3, was just a good deal on parts at the time.

I like a mostly neutral signature with good bass extension but tight, clear bass.

out-of-head imaging isn't important to me in a portable.

Most of my favorite cans are modified orthos, but, from the unmodified cans . . .

Fostex RP-T50 Mk3 but with more bass slam?

Hifiman HE-400S but with more bass extension - or alternately HE-4XX but with the speed and clarity of the 400S?

AKG K240DF but slightly more neutral and with electrostatic speed maybe?

Stax SR-001Mk2 but with better extension at both ends?

Maybe i just want to re-house the drivers from these westones and then mess around with it from there.

Oct 10, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #10,181 of 15,972
@ericj nice to see you on this thread. Are you good with CAD ? I think the best thing you can do is buy a readymade shell or just a cheap KZ iem and use them for housing your westone3 drivers. You can design the connector in CAD and print it on your anycubic, may be you will have to consider for shrinkage. I guess Westone3 has white/green dampers which you will need to incorporate into the spout.

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:29 PM Post #10,182 of 15,972
@ericj nice to see you on this thread. Are you good with CAD ? I think the best thing you can do is buy a readymade shell or just a cheap KZ iem and use them for housing your westone3 drivers. You can design the connector in CAD and print it on your anycubic, may be you will have to consider for shrinkage. I guess Westone3 has white/green dampers which you will need to incorporate into the spout.
Yes we need a KZ shell 3D scan.... That would be simple game changer

I actually never heard the westone 3, was just a good deal on parts at the time.

I like a mostly neutral signature with good bass extension but tight, clear bass.

out-of-head imaging isn't important to me in a portable.

Most of my favorite cans are modified orthos, but, from the unmodified cans . . .

Fostex RP-T50 Mk3 but with more bass slam?

Hifiman HE-400S but with more bass extension - or alternately HE-4XX but with the speed and clarity of the 400S?

AKG K240DF but slightly more neutral and with electrostatic speed maybe?

Stax SR-001Mk2 but with better extension at both ends?

Maybe i just want to re-house the drivers from these westones and then mess around with it from there.

Neutral but bass boost from 250Hz is what you need.

ED29689 + Sonion 38D1XJ(subwoofer)

Easy

And will still maintain the 3 driver rule

But if you want to go crazy on tuning and want something super flagship(Harman Kardon IE2017 Tuning + B&K impulse tuning)

Sonion 38D1XJ
Sonion 3300
Knowles ED29689

Oct 10, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #10,183 of 15,972
Yes we need a KZ shell 3D scan.... That would be simple game changer

dhruv what is the total tubing length for your zobel single ba design?

Neutral but bass boost from 250Hz is what you need.

ED29689 + Sonion 38D1XJ(subwoofer)

Easy

And will still maintain the 3 driver rule

But if you want to go crazy on tuning and want something super flagship(Harman Kardon IE2017 Tuning + B&K impulse tuning)

Sonion 38D1XJ
Sonion 3300
Knowles ED29689

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #10,184 of 15,972
I think tube design STL is out..

But still
Here you go
IMG_20191011_053037.jpg

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #10,185 of 15,972
Triple stage damping success 1.

Used an ED29689 and a 2mm ID/12mm tube

Used a white near spout, grey at center and grey at end.
Total damper wise is 1340ohms of damping. But it equates to 1510ohms...which is green damper

It sounds better than stock ED29689 + green(etymotic er4 style)

Its less restrictive and has better high end note compared to straight green damper.

Theory in layman is

Its better to have broken road rather than having a pit..

In detail

White damper near spout dampens the ED29689 spout resonance and driver peaks.. Grey damper at center just rolls of a slight and helps in damping tube resonances..

The last damper perfectly dampens the driver... And also dampens the earcanal sound reflection entering iem nozzle..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back